Dylan Roof GUILTY, what should his Sentence be?

Jumper_Dad

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of 2014, since 1973, 144 people (or 1.6%) of all death row inmates have been exonerated.

If we, as a country, did what many want and eliminate or greatly curtail the appeals process, that's a whole lot of innocent people we'd have murdered.

1.6% isn't many, but it's way too many when we're talking about killing innocent people. Surely, all can agree on that?

Is it any better that an innocent person spends their entire life in prison? Do we sleep better because at least we didn't execute them?

I think barbaric is all perspective. I think it more appropriate and humane to enact swift and final punishment when it's beyond a reasonable doubt.

Here's the thing. I don't totally disagree. But, to me there is just too great a risk of the state killing an innocent. And I'm not sure if there is a way to draw a clear line to ensure that there is 0.0% chance of that happening.

For that reason I am anti-death penalty.

As of 2014, since 1973, 144 people (or 1.6%) of all death row inmates have been exonerated.

If we, as a country, did what many want and eliminate or greatly curtail the appeals process, that's a whole lot of innocent people we'd have murdered.

1.6% isn't many, but it's way too many when we're talking about killing innocent people. Surely, all can agree on that?

1 person is COMPLETELY unacceptable.

Is it any better that an innocent person spends their entire life in prison? Do we sleep better because at least we didn't execute them?

Terrible either way but , yes, taking their life is worse. I'm sure most of those who are innocent and on death roll would still rather live to see tomorrow than be murdered.

I hear what you are saying. But there are instances when we know without a shadow of a doubt they are guilty of a particular crime. For those cases, it's absolutely appropriate.

Here's the thing. How do you legally define that? My understanding is...we currently only use capital punishment when it is beyond a shadow of a doubt. However, that has not proven to be the case...