Dylan Roof GUILTY, what should his Sentence be?

Jumper_Dad

They're alive, so yes it is better IMO.

How is it not better?!?!?!
I guess the question is if spending the next 60 or so years in prison as an innocent man with zero chance of ever getting out is better. We like to think we are so civilized if we don't execute people and just simply lock them away for the rest of time. Our prisons are far from civilized. Being raped and beaten for the next 60 years doesn't really sound civilized to me. Nothing like a good shower gang rape to make you feel alive. Or maybe you will be lucky enough to get solitary...you know, 23 hours a day in a 6x6 cell with no human contact. You will have all the voices in your in head to keep you company, if you don't completely loose your mind. Yeah that's civilized. But hey your alive right.

The whole system is barbaric so let's quite acting like we are above stringing criminals up. I hate the thought of killing an innocent person so I tend to side on the "better safe than sorry" line of thinking and be anti death penalty. But to be honest to think about an innocent person spending their entire life in prison doesn't exactly make me sleep any better.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of 2014, since 1973, 144 people (or 1.6%) of all death row inmates have been exonerated.

If we, as a country, did what many want and eliminate or greatly curtail the appeals process, that's a whole lot of innocent people we'd have murdered.

1.6% isn't many, but it's way too many when we're talking about killing innocent people. Surely, all can agree on that?

You are also comparing an era pre DNA testing in those numbers which skews things a bit. Give me numbers from say 2000 to current, where DNA testing is common practice in all cases. Then lets talk.

You are also comparing an era pre DNA testing in those numbers which skews things a bit. Give me numbers from say 2000 to current, where DNA testing is common practice in all cases. Then lets talk.

As of 2015, it's up to 156. Of those, only 20 have been exonerated due to DNA evidence.

The Innocence List

We got 8 year olds in our own country pulling the trigger in cities, whats the difference?

Right, because every kid is going to be able to handle watching someone die in front of them and then just go about their day.

Most kids are not going to be able to process something like that in a healthy productive manner.

Why do I picture you watching something like that as the cop from the Hangover movie that tasers Allen screaming "in the face!" while laughing?

Right, because every kid is going to be able to handle watching someone die in front of them and then just go about their day.

Most kids are not going to be able to process something like that in a healthy productive manner.

Why do I picture you watching something like that as the cop from the Hangover movie that tasers Allen screaming "in the face!" while laughing?

They are playing call of duty, they are watching TV and movies with all this violence in them, why should we try and hide the reality of it from them.