Bengals Release Mike Nugent

Wireman

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has the 2nd worst accuracy and the most missed XP in the league.

He makes less than 80% of both his XPs and FGs. That's atrocious.

My info was career stats listed in the Enquirer for both kickers.

Again, let me be very clear, I am not supporting or saying that Nugent should still be here. I am just sharing info.

I am not supporting Nugent but I will point out that his accuracy stats for both field goals and extra points are better than the stats on the guy they just signed.

Agreed. That's why I am not to excited about this guy. However a change had to be made, it was mental and wasn't going to be fixed. I hope they draft a kicker late, or truly open up a competition for the spot.

Career

0-19 yards 5 attempts 5 made

20-29 yards 75 attempts 74 made

30-39 yards 89 attempts 75 made

40-49 yards 95 attempts 71 made

50+ yards 28 attempts 11 made

Shanks for the Memories? Too soon?

That's not too bad.

It was time to go.

I think the Bengals are loyal to a fault sometimes and this was one of those sometimes. However, it got so bad they had to make a move.

No surprises. Mike Nugent exits with class.

Born to be a Bengal, Mike Nugent, the son of Bengals season-ticket holders, went out the only way he knew how. With a Freezer Bowl gust of class and a salute to his hometown team.

A day after head coach Marvin Lewis told him the Bengals had moved to a new kicker, Nugent texted a statement that reached out to everyone from Bengals president Mike Brown and his family to the fans to thank them “for allowing me to live my dream,” during his seven seasons with the team.

“Although this isn’t the way I expected to leave Cincinnati, I know that in this business there comes a point where things need to change,” he wrote. “The support I’ve received from the owners, coaches and my teammates demonstrates how loyal the organization is and that they truly do treat their players like family.”

Before his game suddenly went awry in midseason with five missed extra points in the last five games, Nugent, 34, came from Bengals lore to become one of the best kickers in franchise history. Less than two months before he was born, his mother attended the 1981 AFC title game at Riverfront Stadium held in minus-59-degree wind chill.

“If you’re warm, the baby is warm,” the doctor told his mother a few days before the game and Nugent bounced out of Centerville High School and Ohio State to become the Bengals’ third-leading scorer of all-time in his fourth NFL stop.

“During this hard time I’m so thankful for all the great memories on and off the field that my family and I have experienced in Cincinnati,” Nugent texted.

“I was born and raised a Bengals fan. I will always have love for the Cincinnati community and be proud to say that I was part of the Bengals organization. Thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout my time here and I wish you all the best in the future.”

Nugent thanks Bengals for loyalty