Highlands, Dixie and CovCath

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article is a little confusing. Just because a team is Open on a date doesn't mean they don't have 10 games already scheduled. That week is likely just their Bye week.

They don't have 10 games they can fill in on their open date or the date GC was suppose to play them.

They don't have 10 games they can fill in on their open date or the date GC was suppose to play them.

Not Highlands, CC, or Dixie. The other teams mentioned as possible replacements that have an open date. They may be open on those dates but they likely have 10 games scheduled and that is their Bye week.

Just wondering, as I sometime do....but did Grant County have contracts with all of these teams and if so, is their any penalty to them, for dropping all of these teams especially if these teams can't find a game to replace them.

I'm not sure if district games will typically involve contracts or not, but with out-of-district contracts, all of the terms, penalties, and payouts are written right into the contract.

I wonder if any of the three are considering playing one of the other twice. Only one game would be designated as a district game obviously.

Before I play anybody twice, I'm looking across the river. It doesn't have to be a GCL South team either.

I can say as a former player at Grant, blow outs or not, this is a slap in the face. Basically the school quit, dropping out of district is not going to make the team any better. It's not going to help "build" the program, and will only push away more good players as they will "move" north. You all would be surprised how many former Grant County kids are playing for different Northern KY teams and I don't mean transferring from high school but before high school.

I can say as a former player at Grant, blow outs or not, this is a slap in the face. Basically the school quit, dropping out of district is not going to make the team any better. It's not going to help "build" the program, and will only push away more good players as they will "move" north. You all would be surprised how many former Grant County kids are playing for different Northern KY teams and I don't mean transferring from high school but before high school.

It's in the best interest of the players and the program. I don't remember the last group that went through with the same HC for all four years. It would have to be during Coach Davis's time and his 6 years is the longest tenure of any HC. There was a span where players had 3 different HCs over 3 years. The last 4 HCs have been late hires as in May or later. HHS and Cov Cath do not gain anything by playing Grant and Grant gains nothing from playing them.

As far as talent leaving goes over the past few years.

1 moved to Rowan

3 play at Walton. One of those played all of MS at Grant. Another played a year and moved to wrestle at Walton. The third just moved this year and never played youth or MS ball in Grant.

Davis's sons played at Ryle at Scott but their father coached at both places and moved. His oldest played 3 years in MS and 2 I think in HS.

The Hudson kid at Scott played a few years in youth but has been in the Scott Co schools at least since he was a 6th grader.

Robinson at Dixie played MS but his family moved. His brother played all of MS and HS for Grant.

All of that is over about 8-9 years or so. That's not that different than your typical HS I would say. Now there was a group a few years ago that listened to a disgruntled parent and they moved their kids to a different schools. Many ended up at SK. It also kind of fell apart.

If former players or people in the community have an issue with the nondistrict move I suggest they pick up a whistle and help or at least become part of the solution.