Highlands, Dixie and CovCath

It's in the best interest of the players and the program. I don't remember the last group that went through with the same HC for all four years. It would have to be during Coach Davis's time and his 6 years is the longest tenure of any HC. There was a span where players had 3 different HCs over 3 years. The last 4 HCs have been late hires as in May or later. HHS and Cov Cath do not gain anything by playing Grant and Grant gains nothing from playing them.

As far as talent leaving goes over the past few years.

1 moved to Rowan

3 play at Walton. One of those played all of MS at Grant. Another played a year and moved to wrestle at Walton. The third just moved this year and never played youth or MS ball in Grant.

Davis's sons played at Ryle at Scott but their father coached at both places and moved. His oldest played 3 years in MS and 2 I think in HS.

The Hudson kid at Scott played a few years in youth but has been in the Scott Co schools at least since he was a 6th grader.

Robinson at Dixie played MS but his family moved. His brother played all of MS and HS for Grant.

All of that is over about 8-9 years or so. That's not that different than your typical HS I would say. Now there was a group a few years ago that listened to a disgruntled parent and they moved their kids to a different schools. Many ended up at SK. It also kind of fell apart.

If former players or people in the community have an issue with the nondistrict move I suggest they pick up a whistle and help or at least become part of the solution.

Agree with what you said. I think you will find those that know the program understand this move. Like I posted earlier this wasnt a surprise. This was made very known back when the last alignment was proposed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the players are thrilled for this move. What motivation would any kid have now? To get better you have to play teams that are better then your team, not attempt to play a weaker schedule just to get wins that really are meaningless. Say a team goes 10-0, how do you celebrate that? A moral victory? We're talking three district games and a playoff game that would be rough so 7 other games that can be used to schedule winnable games. Leaving the district was never even an option nor discussed back when Grant first entered the district with Highlands and Cov Cath in the early 2000's.

More kids have moved then the ones listed but I'll leave it at that, no need to list names.

I'm sure the players are thrilled for this move. What motivation would any kid have now? To get better you have to play teams that are better then your team, not attempt to play a weaker schedule just to get wins that really are meaningless. Say a team goes 10-0, how do you celebrate that? A moral victory? We're talking three district games and a playoff game that would be rough so 7 other games that can be used to schedule winnable games. Leaving the district was never even an option nor discussed back when Grant first entered the district with Highlands and Cov Cath in the early 2000's.

More kids have moved then the ones listed but I'll leave it at that, no need to list names.

Do you know what the current schedule looks like? They have selected teams that are very comparable to where the program currently is. Players are motivated by competing. If you're not self motivated to compete then there is an issue.

Before how long was Grant in the district with HHS and Cov Cath? In Davis's first two years and I guess in Bolin's last two years they were in the same district. Dropping done to 4A and going out of district were both discussed over the past 4 years or so. Do you have any idea what Grant's district record has been over the course of history? They've had one winning season in history so what they've been doing hasn't been working.

Like I said past the disgruntled parent issue over the past 8-9 years that's about all that have left. A number of players decided not to play at the HS for different reasons. Feel free to PM me with all these kids that have left.

They were in the district with Highlands, Cov Cath, Holmes, and Scott for two years, followed by Highlands, Cov Cath, Oldham, and South Oldham.

I would say that every player that chooses to play will be motivated but what are we teaching kids these days? It's ok to give up when it's tough? Typical Grant County fashion when it comes to football though. Definitely not surprised by the decision. Yes the district record is terrible and what they have been doing, I can't say it hasn't been working, we just have never had the athletes to compete. When we have had the size, we got outran, when we had speed, we lacked size. Both of those scenarios were rare however.

They were in the district with Highlands, Cov Cath, Holmes, and Scott for two years, followed by Highlands, Cov Cath, Oldham, and South Oldham.

I would say that every player that chooses to play will be motivated but what are we teaching kids these days? It's ok to give up when it's tough? Typical Grant County fashion when it comes to football though. Definitely not surprised by the decision. Yes the district record is terrible and what they have been doing, I can't say it hasn't been working, we just have never had the athletes to compete. When we have had the size, we got outran, when we had speed, we lacked size. Both of those scenarios were rare however.

Previous to the current district (2011-2014), their 5a district mates were Conner, Cooper, South Oldham and Scott. 2009-10 their district consisted of them,Anderson County, J-town, Oldham and South Oldham.

This may have already been answered, but McCreary Co., Sheldon Clark & Phelps are 3 schools that I can think of in recent memory that have dropped out of their district for a 2 year cycle.

How does that work with Grant County? Did they just say we're not playing 5A games anymore? Don't really understand that. Are they giving up football? Playing as a team not in a district? Didn't know you could do that.

Ok so you would agree Grant Co isnt winning a state title right? Then what does it matter?