Highlands - the cavalry is coming?

dallaslaredo

Seeing the size and number of athletes compared to years past. Having the results of the games played at the Frosh and JV games. Seeing improvements being made by other teams in NKY.

Jumping up in class to 5A when, in the recent past the KHSAA would not allow teams to move up. Seeing the heavy 6A schedule against teams that could not wait to take there shot at HHS.

The law of averages. How hard it is to stay on top for so long without some lapse.

They cavalry may be coming but I am not sure we will see the run of playing in 8 state finals in 9 years and winning 7 of them.

Nobody can predict that run! No one predicted that before it happened. And no one now is predicting that!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's hard to judge spikes and drops in competitive talent until they get in some type of competition against another team. All the crystal ball mystique stuff is nonsense and wishful thinking. High school kids develop so much between sophomore to junior and junior to senior years it almost unpredictable which kids will step up and how high until it actually happens. Yeah you can see some with talent and see the curve but the rest? That's like predicting Ryle will be awful without Morgan next year. Drop off sure, how much? Who knows and anybody who claims it is full of bologna. To say you see some kids coming that can help HHS program may be true, and they might be ahead of the athletic curve from the last group. But to predict that they will be the next sliced bread is arrogant. Seems like you guys lean on that side. You should be happy if your program turns the corner and changes direction. Right now is not the time to have these fantasies of domination. Support the kids playing now and stop throwing them away looking ahead to the next group because they don't meet YOUR expectations. Wonder how they feel hearing the stuff from you guys? When I was coaching, I coached effort. If I get 100% of your effort and we lose to better kids then so be it. As long as your kid's are giving effort then they deserve all the support and admiration you have regardless if they win you another dusty old trophy. I'm hearing rumors of empty stands and parents yelling at kids and coaches... Stinks really bad behavior wise. Clap and cheer, that's your jobs unless you have a whistle in your mouth and are called coach. You'll be happier and so will the players. This may be your new norm, who really knows?

Yes, today. for now. but would you say the same in 5 years if the downward trend continues? Notre Dame used be the big dog in football, but boy do things change.

That wasn't your question. But to answer now, HHS will be just fine. This happens at HHS from time to time and they always recover. So I'll go with history and say they will recover and be just fine and guess what, it may not even be next year! But it will happen

That wasn't your question. But to answer now, HHS will be just fine. This happens at HHS from time to time and they always recover. So I'll go with history and say they will recover and be just fine and guess what, it may not even be next year! But it will happen

Seems to only happen when they stop letting out of district students enroll.

It's hard to judge spikes and drops in competitive talent until they get in some type of competition against another team. All the crystal ball mystique stuff is nonsense and wishful thinking. High school kids develop so much between sophomore to junior and junior to senior years it almost unpredictable which kids will step up and how high until it actually happens. Yeah you can see some with talent and see the curve but the rest? That's like predicting Ryle will be awful without Morgan next year. Drop off sure, how much? Who knows and anybody who claims it is full of bologna. To say you see some kids coming that can help HHS program may be true, and they might be ahead of the athletic curve from the last group. But to predict that they will be the next sliced bread is arrogant. Seems like you guys lean on that side. You should be happy if your program turns the corner and changes direction. Right now is not the time to have these fantasies of domination. Support the kids playing now and stop throwing them away looking ahead to the next group because they don't meet YOUR expectations. Wonder how they feel hearing the stuff from you guys? When I was coaching, I coached effort. If I get 100% of your effort and we lose to better kids then so be it. As long as your kid's are giving effort then they deserve all the support and admiration you have regardless if they win you another dusty old trophy. I'm hearing rumors of empty stands and parents yelling at kids and coaches... Stinks really bad behavior wise. Clap and cheer, that's your jobs unless you have a whistle in your mouth and are called coach. You'll be happier and so will the players. This may be your new norm, who really knows?

I'll answer you like I have in the past. The people saying help is on the way have been around the program for a long time. We don't base it on little league victories. Heck I have no idea what the freshman or JV record is! We also don't base it on a couple of talented kids. We've seen all that change too.

However, we do know the depth of athletes in the classes coming up. And we know that when you have multiple classes with "depth", that can correlate to success on the varsity level. At least that's what history has shown us over a long period of time. The effort will be there. Unless you went to HHS and understand the culture, you wouldn't get it. There is pride in that program that most never experience. You are expected to be successful and the kids stop at nothing to reach that. Yes, you have down years, but it's not from lack of effort. Depth, combined with some very good players is coming. That has equaled success in the past and we are predicting it again. More times than not, that has proven to be right...at least at HHS.

Every program has problem parents. They come and go. Those incidents are not bigger than the program. It has survived many of those types along the way and it will survive this one. That parent is a senior. Lol!

We told you the depth of athletes were not in these two classes about 3 years ago. We told you this will happen. As the depth starts to rebuild, you'll see the success start going back to where it came from.

Again, none of this is new to any long time HHS observer...whether you're a fan or not.

Seems to only happen when they stop letting out of district students enroll.

Right! Again "Mr all the answers" that really has no clue about HHS!!! But always comical when you chime in to the HHS threads!

And people ask the question if HHS is still relevant. Lol!

1-6, fell out of the state top 10. Barely hanging in the nky top ten. Has multiple running clocks put on them and have absolutely way more posts about a team on here than anyone!

You tell me, why is everyone still focused on HHS?? Lol!

Because they know they won't have the chance to take shots for long. We know it, they know it, everyone knows it.

Smell the fear.

1-6, fell out of the state top 10. Barely hanging in the nky top ten. Has multiple running clocks put on them and have absolutely way more posts about a team on here than anyone!

You tell me, why is everyone still focused on HHS?? Lol!

Because Highlands has had a huge hand in defining Nky football for a very long time. Even the haters out there cannot deny that much

Because they know they won't have the chance to take shots for long. We know it, they know it, everyone knows it.

Smell the fear.

I am not so sure that is the case, but it will be interesting to watch how the program changes over the next few years.

What the future holds is anyones guess. Here is my guess....

I would think that the 2007-2014 run by Highlands was a bit of a statistical outlier - given that it is the most dominant run by any program in KY state history.

I also think that the struggles of the last the last two seasons are also a bit of a statistical outlier.

My guess is that future lies someplace in between 7 state titles in 8 years and a trip to the state semi-finals (in a down year). If the future lies between those extremes it might not be all gloom and doom. :D

No.. I believe he is playing with the frosh which is his grade.

Very, very rarely do they pull any freshman to play up. Think of all the really good players that played in the past. I cannot think of any that were pulled as a freshman. I'm sure it's happened, but I just can't think of any and there's been a lot of really good players!

Very, very rarely do they pull any freshman to play up. Think of all the really good players that played in the past. I cannot think of any that were pulled as a freshman. I'm sure it's happened, but I just can't think of any and there's been a lot of really good players!

QB Carter New was pulled up to play JV as a Freshman. And Pat Towles was on that same Freshman team and wasn't even the Starter. Amazing how kids can blossom! When Carter was a Soph he switched sides of the ball to Defense.

That wasn't your question.

I know that wasn't my question - I was expounding and responding to Clyde's comment.

But, the consensus answer to my question seems to be something about depth of talent, and a winning tradition. So I guess it's more of a gut feeling things will get better.