Highlands - the cavalry is coming?

dallaslaredo

I know that wasn't my question - I was expounding and responding to Clyde's comment.

But, the consensus answer to my question seems to be something about depth of talent, and a winning tradition. So I guess it's more of a gut feeling things will get better.

You can call it gut feeling, playing the odds, history repeating itself time and time again.

A lot of people on this board look at this like its doom and gloom for HHS because they've had two years they consider sub-par for HHS and they aren't used to seeing that. But heck, in the last 12 years, if they didn't win state it was a failure. That's what outsiders measure HHS by, unless their knowledge goes back further in their history.

HHS fan have seen this before! We know that it comes and goes. Fortunately for HHS, the good times outweigh the tough times. But that doesn't mean we haven't seen years like this before. If that wasn't the case, we'd have a lot more state championships than we do!

Let me ask you this. Didn't some of the people that say we'll start trending up again call these two years of being down prior to last years season? So how did we know that? Don't you think we can use the same process to forecast when it will start to turn upwards again? Is it an exact science...no way! But you know when you have good classes coming up and when there are classes back to back that have depth of talent. How can anyone predict it? Isn't that how we predict all college and high school sports...based on the classes they have coming in?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depth on the line is what I see as a huge problem. I know of one kid who is not playing and was a key player last year on the Freshman line. He had fantastic size and was pretty darn good. If he gets his head on straight and comes back next year as a junior it will only help.

I'm loving what the next 3yrs will bring for the Birds. Ton of talent. And on what Qryche11 said if that boy gets his head on straight thats a major factor on the line next yr.

What the future holds is anyones guess. Here is my guess....

I would think that the 2007-2014 run by Highlands was a bit of a statistical outlier - given that it is the most dominant run by any program in KY state history.

I also think that the struggles of the last the last two seasons are also a bit of a statistical outlier.

My guess is that future lies someplace in between 7 state titles in 8 years and a trip to the state semi-finals (in a down year). If the future lies between those extremes it might not be all gloom and doom. :D

Lot's of people don't get that. That streak will not be repeated but 100 years of success, no losing season in 60 years, and playing in 50% of the state title games over the last 57 years gives us a confidence that this most certainly is an outlier. I recall similar calls of the demise on here in the years following the 1998-2000 run, particularly after HHS was humiliated by Rockcastle in 2002. What happened? Returned to the SC game in 2003 and ended Boyle Co's SC streak in 2004. Shut out at home in the playoffs in 2005 and lost to CCH twice in 2006 and the funerals started back up. What happened? 8 straight SC games in a row. People just don't learn but it does provide amusement. And a glimmer of hope for them.

So you think its...bad coaching, bad technique or both right now given the record.

No, I think only game the line play was a big part of the loss was Ryle and the line really wasn't playing. They had replacements out there. I believe the line is good enough to compete and that is why they have been in most games

That wasn't your question. But to answer now, HHS will be just fine. This happens at HHS from time to time and they always recover. So I'll go with history and say they will recover and be just fine and guess what, it may not even be next year! But it will happen

Agreed, Highlands will be fine. What's difficult about this thread are shots taken at the coaches. If some aren't careful they might get exactly what they don't want and that's Coach Custer leading this calvary charge.