Offensive Schemes

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spread Offense - As long as the offensive player is given the advantage by the rule book over the defensive player it will continue to evolve into the offense of choice. In my opinion the influx of the spread offense has been one of the leading factors for more injuries in football. The wide open style has players wanting to make the "big hits" to separate the ball and receivers. The wing-t style or option style offenses had more knee and leg issues not head. But hey there are many factors and another thread for that!

I think true football is like a game of chess. Moves, counter moves. Teams that are able to adjust both offensively and defensively to what others give and take. Good players and coaches can do that at most levels. Its the ideology of the coaches. Some are willing to adjust some are not. No right or wrong just ideologies! :clap:

Not very many I would suppose, but that's just because it's not the "it" thing right now, a lot of those guys winning state titles in the spread would still be winning them in the Wing T.

[Purple Nation]I disagree. Wing T may be fun to watch but I dont see it winning many rings in our state.

I think what he's saying is, if BG ran the Wing T, they would still win a state title.

If you don't have a QB that can throw the ball, you can't really spread the offense all over the field. You simply have to work with what you've got. Run teams can do their best to control the clock and give themselves a shot against very athletic teams.

There are 4 main categories of spread offenses.

A. 10 and 11 personnel with a qb that cannot or does not run the ball. Simple limited running game.

B. 10 and 11 personnel with a qb that does run. The extra runner at qb adds more variety and balance to the run game. A little more simple passing game.

C. 10,11,12,20, 21 personnel with a qb that cannot or does not run. Can a run a full compliment of pro-style runs of any type as long as the qb isn't getting hit and have a true play action passing element.

D. 10,11, 20 personnel with a running qb. Zone power counter downhill runs with play action off them. Simplified passing game.

In 13 Scott county won 6a with a wing-t

Desales has won a championship heavy wing-t principals and are in it about 50% of time?

Belfry speaks for itself and was a wishbone team who now spends most of the time in a flexbone.

Before Scott I think the last great wing-t champion might have been GRC in 1991.

In this weeks BGP rankings 5 of 6 #1 teams run one of the spread offenses I mentioned earlier.

Good coaches are good coaches and good players are good players in any scheme, but it looks like the fellow above saying "wing-t end of discussion" might need to be a little more open minded since no wing-t won a championship last year and none are ranked #1 right now.

Not very many I would suppose, but that's just because it's not the "it" thing right now, a lot of those guys winning state titles in the spread would still be winning them in the Wing T.

The one comment on this is that "champions" don't tend to do the "it" things. Some of the worst teams in this state are going 4 wide and running around like kindergarten kids chasing butterflies, so I know it seems paradoxical but champions spreading it out tend to be fundamental and detail oriented.

The one comment on this is that "champions" don't tend to do the "it" things. Some of the worst teams in this state are going 4 wide and running around like kindergarten kids chasing butterflies, so I know it seems paradoxical but champions spreading it out tend to be fundamental and detail oriented.

That they are, there will always be bad teams and championship teams running whatever scheme/system, the success however will always lie in the talent and the details.

That they are, there will always be bad teams and championship teams running whatever scheme/system, the success however will always lie in the talent and the details.

I've seen enough spread teams who are absolutely awful, and probably almost an equal amount of double tight, wishbone teams who are just as awful.

Good football, regardless of system, is always enjoyable to watch. Bad football, regardless of system, is occasionally funny to watch and always painful.

Ultimately it comes down to talent and execution of whatever scheme you run.

It really comes down to what the coaching staff at a given school can coach and what the personnel is capable of running. State championships have been won, and will continue to be won, by players executing sound system and by a coaching staff that has enough knowledge of their given system to solve problems that arise from defenses making adjustments. Also, an offense, whatever the system, must have sound answers to situational football: 1st and 10, short yardage, goal line, end-of-half, etc.

It is not about X's and O's it is about Jimmys and Joes. If you have them, and can coach the offense you are wanting to implement, weather it be Wing-t, Spread, Split back veer, wishbone, You can and will be successful.

On a side note, Cam Newton at Auburn, well that offense is predicated on single wing principles just ran out of the spread.

Really what evolved so much was Man-blocking vs. Zone blocking and now Zone teams in the spread who wish to run more use the gap blocking scheme.

Last week Scott Co. had 633 yards of offense in the wing t and threw for 146. 3 RB's had over 100 yards and another had 97 vs. a spread team. That spread team had -23 yards rushing and lost 47-20 to the running team.

After research. Here is Scott County since 2010.

Vs. Lexington area districts: 41-3

Vs. Spread teams: 41-9

Vs. Run Teams: 22-2

Year Record Rush Pass Points Scored

2010 10-4 2857 1464 455

2011 14-1 3813 1134 669

2012 12-2 4000 1192 702

2013 15-0 5152 1357 778

2014 10-2 4060 1210 556

2015 11-2 4531 1103 583

Totals 72-11 24413 7460 3743

Avg. 12-2 4069 1243 623 points per season

It is not about X's and O's it is about Jimmys and Joes. If you have them, and can coach the offense you are wanting to implement, weather it be Wing-t, Spread, Split back veer, wishbone, You can and will be successful.

On a side note, Cam Newton at Auburn, well that offense is predicated on single wing principles just ran out of the spread.

Really what evolved so much was Man-blocking vs. Zone blocking and now Zone teams in the spread who wish to run more use the gap blocking scheme.

Last week Scott Co. had 633 yards of offense in the wing t and threw for 146. 3 RB's had over 100 yards and another had 97 vs. a spread team. That spread team had -23 yards rushing and lost 47-20 to the running team.

After research. Here is Scott County since 2010.

Vs. Lexington area districts: 41-3

Vs. Spread teams: 41-9

Vs. Run Teams: 22-2

Year Record Rush Pass Points Scored

2010 10-4 2857 1464 455

2011 14-1 3813 1134 669

2012 12-2 4000 1192 702

2013 15-0 5152 1357 778

2014 10-2 4060 1210 556

2015 11-2 4531 1103 583

Totals 72-11 24413 7460 3743

Avg. 12-2 4069 1243 623 points per season

That can't be true...no one can win with that middle school, Red Grange era offense;)

It's not the offense you run. It's how you coach it and how the players execute it, with a large piece of having good talent. People get hung up because they watch the NFL every Sunday, and think that's what football should look like. There are lots of ways to skin a cat, especially at the high school level, and you can run almost anything out of any offense. You have to do what suits your talent regardless of how you like to line it up.

I disagree. Wing T may be fun to watch but I dont see it winning many rings in our state.

Teams like Trinity, Male, BG... you dont want to run east-west vs them. You cant.

I know wing t is a favorite amongst many but I just never got it. It may work for 1 quarter against a really good team but when that team makes their adjustments its over.

Spread Offense is todays game. Its a proven winner. Think of the past 3 or 4 years with the spread vs wing t. No comparison

If Trinity started running the wing-T they would win. It doesn't matter what you run, it's who is running it that matters.

Players win ballgames

The Spread may not be as defined as the Wing T, Triple Option or the Veer but I think has evolved into the offense of choice for many coaches. Just as the "west coast" offense evolved and became its own, so too can the Spread.

Again, KY championship HS teams will very rarely crown a team that breathes the Wing T as their offense. IMO

Again, the "Spread" is not an offensive scheme. The air raid is a scheme, the west coast offense is a scheme, run and gun is a scheme, wing t, etc. They can be ran from the spread or from under center. There's a difference. Spread simply means that we're in shotty and have receivers spread out.