Offensive Schemes

One point that needs to be made, is that up until 2012, no team in Ky to my knowledge had won state running the Tony Franklin stuff...they've gotten deep but haven't won it. Now since then, it may gave changed, I haven't done research since then. But most schools that win in November can run the ball if they so choose to.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One point that needs to be made, is that up until 2012, no team in Ky to my knowledge had won state running the Tony Franklin stuff...they've gotten deep but haven't won it. Now since then, it may gave changed, I haven't done research since then. But most schools that win in November can run the ball if they so choose to.

Wasn't Lex. Christian running TFS when they won?

LCA in 09 and Mayfield multiple TFS championships.(first one in 10) Bowling Green passing system is tfs based with 3 system coaches on the staff.

Male is an offshoot cousin. So was Lex Cath in 07 and so on.

Just those off the top of my head.

LCA in 09 and Mayfield multiple TFS championships.(first one in 10) Bowling Green passing system is tfs based with 3 system coaches on the staff.

Male is an offshoot cousin. So was Lex Cath in 07 and so on.

Just those off the top of my head.

Those schools did not run the system all game and not come out of it is what I should have said. I misspoke. I played against the bowling Green within the last decade and they most certainly for a fact had a pro style offense that included some TFS stuff. They would line up in the I often withe Wallace's son often.

What type of offense does team your team run? If you don't follow a certain team or play then what is your favorite offense to watch?

Do you think the type of offense ran by your team gives them an advantage? Is this a better system than most of your team's opponents?

Belfry runs the flexbone

I think it does give Belfry an advantage in a lot of cases. I also think it hinders them in other cases.

ADVANTAGES

+ Easy to fill in holes from injury or graduation like a machine

+ Makes use of what Belfry typically has the best of in their talent pool. Belfry always has big, strong linemen and always has quick backs and the powerful Fullback type.

+ Easy to teach and win at the Feeder System level. Younger kids just aren't physically mature to excel in a spread passing Offense so either you have to win by deviating from your High School's Offense, or you take the chance losing games and thus all the negatives that come with it

+ Very beneficial to controlling game tempo and keeping the Defense fresh

+ Reduced risk of turnovers or Defensive Touchdown

+ Very good at wearing down opposing Defenses

+ Three to four options every play if they are needed

NEGATIVES

- Very difficult to come from behind down multiple scores

- Not effective in a 2:00 Drill or 3rd and Long

- Not exciting or designed for a single star player to excel.

- Offensive Linemen don't get a lot of reps learning pass blocking techniques which impedes college attention. I honestly feel that if Austin Dotson and Cole Bentley played at a more West Coast style Offense they would have been elite National prospects, but both are having to learn pass blocking on the fly

In the end the positives far outweigh the negatives, but the crux of the issue is the fact it is a system that is instilled throughout the feeder program and has been perfected through trial and error over many years. If a program suddenly hit re-set and started running the flexbone they would have growing pains for sure.

I don't know what you mean come out of it? TFS teams have a goaline package, whatever they want as a matter of fact. They used to call it the change up offense. BG adopted the passing game concepts in 08. You can see in my quote that its the passing system. I think you just have a misunderstanding of what TFS is/was.

BTW Rains started tfs in 06 at Christian and the deal was pretty good for him till he left.

Is/was Male an NZone team?

There have been some very good spread/pro style teams over the years here. I venture to say they are good because they have talent and the coaches truly know their stuff. There are a lot of coaches that don't put in the time or effort to reach that level. Those guys know their stuff and are good teachers. Some of the best coaches in football are HS guys and do mean they are better college guys.

As far as scheme I love watching a well coached team. OL that fires off the ball and works like a unit. Everything well timed up. I do laugh a little when people make it sound like KY is special in that the wing-t (or name any other offense) can't win here. You can look at any number of states and see different offenses winning championships. I don't think the number of championships is the best measurable either. While a team might not win a championship their offense gives them a chance for success. A team that runs the double wing might be an example. How the academies run the flexbone would be a college example.

Bellevue Washington did alright with the wing-t among other schools. The wing-t isn't an east-west offense. The Belly series is straight up Iso. They have a power series. Down hits about as fast as any play in football. They have option including trap option. More hybrid wing-t guys have added rocket and jet. One of the Odlham County schools was a Hail Mary away from playing for a title running that offense. On one of Collins key scoring drives in their title game they went old school Shelby County circa 1987.

I'm not knocking any offense just more the closed mindedness of some when it comes to it.

@Iam4thecats & @barrel already hit on all of this, but the closed mindedness of many out there in the world when it comes down to schemes is what's so frustrating to listen to (and, might I add...very comical).

Just because you are TFS doesn't mean you are a team full of 4 and 5 wide softies, just because you are Wing-T doesn't mean you are an east/west team, and just because you run the Wishbone doesn't mean you are automatically a physical, old school team that ONLY runs the OPTION & CAN'T throw the ball.

If Trinity started running the wing-T they would win. It doesn't matter what you run, it's who is running it that matters.

Players win ballgames

Going to disagree with that. The Rocks would win quite a few, but it was the implementation of the offense we have now years ago that made the Rocks so difficult to defend. Everyone seems to have forgotten Trinity of the late mid-late 90s that was a veer team who was good but not great. Definitely not the squad that you saw starting in 2000.

If the Rocks ran the Wing-T there may have been a few titles since 2000, but definitely not what you see now. Talent does matter, but by and large outside of a handful of names many of the T squads you have seen are mostly just good role players who aren't likely to play at the next level. I admit that the 2010-2012 squad was an exception, as was Brian Brohm. The rest of those squads may have had 1 or 2 guys at most who might have played college ball but it's not the D1 factory people think it is.

I also want to point out that like many on here I really do love seeing a well executed offensive scheme no matter what it is. I love Ts offense obviously, but at the other end of the spectrum watching Belfry or Colerain can be a real treat too. I'll never forget that game against Colerain in 2013, WOW that squad was amazing. I still can't believe they didn't win it all in OH that year.

You mean the Trinity teams that put together a 50 game win streak running the veer? I believe the rise of Trinity over time has been about a lot of things. Let's face it Trinity takes great pride in their program so they are going to adapt to improve and get where they want to be. Back in the beer days the weight room was subpar compared to many places if I was told correctly. It wasn't just the offense that changed. It was how things were done. I believe Trinity has a strength and conditioning coach. When was this position first created and filled? If they ran the wing-t with the same attention to detail and level of coaching then I think they win just about if not all of those titles. A huge amount of their offense can be run in the wing-t. The only thing off the top of my head is outside zone that they would of lost. All of their passing game, motions, shifts, pap and a majority of their run game would still be intact.

I've only watched Belfry a few times and I've never seen them line up in the full flexbone (double slot). What I've seen them do is nasty split the TE with the slot/wing inside of the TE. That is a real pain to line up to.

You mean the Trinity teams that put together a 50 game win streak running the veer? I believe the rise of Trinity over time has been about a lot of things. Let's face it Trinity takes great pride in their program so they are going to adapt to improve and get where they want to be. Back in the beer days the weight room was subpar compared to many places if I was told correctly. It wasn't just the offense that changed. It was how things were done. I believe Trinity has a strength and conditioning coach. When was this position first created and filled? If they ran the wing-t with the same attention to detail and level of coaching then I think they win just about if not all of those titles. A huge amount of their offense can be run in the wing-t. The only thing off the top of my head is outside zone that they would of lost. All of their passing game, motions, shifts, pap and a majority of their run game would still be intact.

I've only watched Belfry a few times and I've never seen them line up in the full flexbone (double slot). What I've seen them do is nasty split the TE with the slot/wing inside of the TE. That is a real pain to line up to.

That's T from the 80s-94 I was talking about 95-99.