Can anyone say who was denied the opportunity to move up?

Oldbird

Here are the teams that requested to be moved up and were denied (for those who don't want to check out the link and have to figure it out):

East Jessamine

West Jessamine

Washington County

Knott County Central

Green County.

Also, it is interesting to note that two schools requested to play down--Russell County and West Carter.

Here are the teams that requested to be moved up and were denied (for those who don't want to check out the link and have to figure it out):

East Jessamine

West Jessamine

Washington County

Knott County Central

Green County.

Also, it is interesting to note that two schools requested to play down--Russell County and West Carter.

I find it interesting that several of the teams who were allowed to move up or change districts from the original proposal had connections on the Board of Control whereas the above listed did not.

I find it interesting that several of the teams who were allowed to move up or change districts from the original proposal had connections on the Board of Control whereas the above listed did not.

You probably would also note that the other teams denied moving up would have left a district with less than four teams.

The most obvious reason is that each of these teams moving up would leave behind districts with less than four teams.

The most obvious reason is that each of these teams moving up would leave behind districts with less than four teams.

Somerset and Knott Co. Central were originally set up to be in the same district, both applied to move up but only Somerset's was granted.

I can't speak for the KHSAA, but Knott was probably considered a better geographic fit for the district. Somerset probably fits in geographically better in their new district.

I wouldn't for a minute assume that competition concerns didn't play a role in Somerset's request, but that's the way it goes.

Other things that caught my eye in the individual school responses. Henry Clay's was response was "We think five classes would be better." Then comes this, most likely a KHSAA response: "NOTE: No alternatives proposed."

Uh, yeah, they did propose an alternative ... five classes, which would work much better than six.

Also ... Newport's response was "Newport Independent does not think there are enough schools to warrant six classifications and thereby water down the championships."

Bless them. Newport may be my new favorite team.

It also did not prevent Covington Catholic from moving up. They just moved another team into their slot from another district, which to me kind of dispels their claim of not moving some teams due to being in a four team district. If you can do it for one, why not others who requested it?

:thumb: Interesting but not at all surprising..

It also did not prevent Covington Catholic from moving up. They just moved another team into their slot from another district, which to me kind of dispels their claim of not moving some teams due to being in a four team district. If you can do it for one, why not others who requested it?
It was fortunate, I suppose, that an adjacent district had five teams, one of which wouldn't be a geographic stretch to move into CovCath's old district.

If Knott was granted a request to play up, who could replace them?

In any case, this is another problem with six classes. With only four or five teams in a district and four teams making the playoffs, some teams were denied a move up while others were granted one. This would be less likely to happen in the current four-class setup, or even possibly with a five-class format.

That's what happens when you water it down this much.