Braxton Beverly

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how people can down this kid. Big deal he's 22 he work his but off to get the opportunity to play at the next level and he's getting a free education. My hats off to the young man. It takes great work ethic to get where he's at. He seen what he wanted, went after it and got it!!

Congrats young man you deserve it!!

Hey it's a system, I get it, but he's older then most of UKs team and could be a senior in college. If I had years of maturity and experience on my competition, I'd look good too. He'll be going against teams with 15 and 16yos this year...think about that.

Here is your problem, you speak what you do not know. Fact...Braxton last year and this coming season plays on Hargrave Military's Post graduate team which is their best team. They play other Post Graduate teams filled with players the same age as Braxton unless they choose to play their younger players up in competition. So for that fact your argument fails to pass the accuracy test. It is hyperbole and therefor dismissed as shade with a purpose.

Furthermore, Braxton is not a fall birthday or double hold back as some are leading others to believe. Get your facts straight, he is 19 years old right now and will be entering college at 20, not 22. I can't stand the age complaint when people play within the rules and even worse they embellish the facts. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Beverly isn't a one and done. So the age isn't an issue. Is it an issue when kids join our military and come home and play football for a university of their choice? You rail on those kids too? They aren't 17 or 18. Or do they not rub you the wrong way because that wouldn't fit your agenda? Hey, Chris Weinke played professional baseball and then enrolled at Florida State to play quarterback at 26. Heck, that should make your head explode.

Those are totally different circumstances. Last time I checked BB wasn't a two sport star. Chris Weinke played professional baseball for 6 years, his intentions out of high school were to be a pro baseball player not a football player, or he would of chosen football. The Military, wouldnt you play at a service academy if you were good enough? If you can name me some guys that were recruited after their time served,and not a 24 year old walking on, I'd be impressed to see the list.

If Beverly went overseas an served, or was a Mormon and had to do their fellowship for however many years, that's fine. But Beverly isn't serving anyone except himself.

Those are totally different circumstances. Last time I checked BB wasn't a two sport star. Chris Weinke played professional baseball for 6 years, his intentions out of high school were to be a pro baseball player not a football player, or he would of chosen football. The Military, wouldnt you play at a service academy if you were good enough? If you can name me some guys that were recruited after their time served,and not a 24 year old walking on, I'd be impressed to see the list.

If Beverly went overseas an served, or was a Mormon and had to do their fellowship for however many years, that's fine. But Beverly isn't serving anyone except himself.

And he is 19 years old playing post graduate basketball so he can land higher on the food chain. If he had not exploded at Hargrave last year we woud not be having this conversation. But he did and it was very smart of him to do a "do over". He will be entering college with a hats off from me.

No, it was not classy. It was a backhanded compliment that does show a tint of shade though. I am a guy on the back nine of life, but if I could change places with this young man I would be thrilled to be in his shoes. Hats off BB, you earned it and the vast majority of this state are very proud of you.

P.S. I knew your sarcasm meter was on.

Well said.

The reality is, no matter what his real age is, he's going to play at the highest level of college basketball, and get a free education in the process. And regardless of him being 19, 20, 21, whatever, he is still a kid that should be congratulated, not condemned.

And he is 19 years old playing post graduate basketball so he can land higher on the food chain. If he had not exploded at Hargrave last year we woud not be having this conversation. But he did and it was very smart of him to do a "do over". He will be entering college with a hats off from me.

You right, I got my years mixed up, my bad Ill admit. He'll be 20 entering and 21 before the tourney. I just keep forgetting the average age of college freshman is 20 now.

My apologies

You right, I got my years mixed up, my bad Ill admit. He'll be 20 entering and 21 before the tourney. I just keep forgetting the average age of college freshman is 20 now.

My apologies

I understand the angst in elementary and middle school years when the kids 12-20 months older have a maturity advantage in strength & size playing in a grade below what their age calls for. But as you get into HS & College it works itself out with less of an impact. In HS, good freshmen play varsity against kids 3-5 years older and same in college. If the coaches at Ohio State are not worried about his age than there is not anything about his age worth mentioning. Trust me, it is not like he pulled a fast one on the staff at OSU where they are in the dark as to how old he is.

So...did Braxton Beverly make the right move by leaving PCC and going to Hargrave?

I've always wondered what the attraction to these preps schools were. If he already had a D1 offer to Miami, Oh. why spend the extra year of going to Hargrave. Was it academic enhancement or just wanting a 'bigger' offer. While OSU may be more 'prestigious' what advantage does it really give him? 4 sophomore guards on OSU so he will have to earn his playing time. The academics and alumni at Miami, Oh are outstanding. Not sure is OSU brings more to the table unless he wants to use this a tool to play after college?

FYI, I know nothing of the kid, I've seen a couple of videos. Always wishing a kid from KY the best of luck, just wondering what these type of schools do to attract certain kids.

I've always wondered what the attraction to these preps schools were. If he already had a D1 offer to Miami, Oh. why spend the extra year of going to Hargrave. Was it academic enhancement or just wanting a 'bigger' offer. While OSU may be more 'prestigious' what advantage does it really give him? 4 sophomore guards on OSU so he will have to earn his playing time. The academics and alumni at Miami, Oh are outstanding. Not sure is OSU brings more to the table unless he wants to use this a tool to play after college?

FYI, I know nothing of the kid, I've seen a couple of videos. Always wishing a kid from KY the best of luck, just wondering what these type of schools do to attract certain kids.

This is the best quote so far on this thread. IMO

A 20 year old with no kids should only be worried about taking care of himself. And I don't mean that in a be selfish way where he isn't a team player, doesn't pass, etc...

The young man saw an opportunity and he took advantage of it. He owes no one anything. And I say that being a Michigan fan.