Why did DOJ change "Allah" to God in transcript?

jericho

Actually yes, God and Allah are one in the same, such as the Hebrew name Yahweh.

Ummm, no...in this context they are not. Think context, not dictionary...

Did you read the one about the Catholic shooting up the gay bar ? Ohhh, that's right, because they are one and the same.....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, no...in this context they are not. Think context, not dictionary...

Did you read the one about the Catholic shooting up the gay bar ? Ohhh, that's right, because they are one and the same.....

There is only two types of person who would dispute this, one being ignorant. Don't try to confuse people in bringing up "context", no one is buying it. ;)

Christians who speak Arabic call the Supreme Being by the word "Allah", which means "the God", which their is only one. HE is indeed one in the same, the God/Allah of Abraham, in fact Christians were calling Him Allah hundreds of years before Mohammad.

Since you can't ask the Pope what he has to say about this, look it up! Or, talk to Fr. Jack if he is still at St. Teresa. Or my good friend Fr. Bill at St. Catherine's. Better yet, shoot off an email to Fr. Dan at Blessed Sacrament who is one of the most knowledgeable people in the area on theology. Heck, go ask the Bishop, as all will disagree with you, I can guarantee this, in fact the words "in context" was brought up, and you don't want to know what at least a few of those I mentioned said about those who attempt to use "in context".

Your last paragraph is typical. You may want to wait a bit on the Orlando nightclub shootings, as the Fed's are in a bind here, at this time they are trying to run this as a terrorist organization inspired event, as at this point they don't see it as being inspired by a terror group or a hate crime by someone who was anti gay, as of now they can only link it as revenge on the people who shot him down.

There is only two types of person who would dispute this, one being ignorant. Don't try to confuse people in bringing up "context", no one is buying it. ;)

Christians who speak Arabic call the Supreme Being by the word "Allah", which means "the God", which their is only one. HE is indeed one in the same, the God/Allah of Abraham, in fact Christians were calling Him Allah hundreds of years before Mohammad.

Since you can't ask the Pope what he has to say about this, look it up! Or, talk to Fr. Jack if he is still at St. Teresa. Or my good friend Fr. Bill at St. Catherine's. Better yet, shoot off an email to Fr. Dan at Blessed Sacrament who is one of the most knowledgeable people in the area on theology. Heck, go ask the Bishop, as all will disagree with you, I can guarantee this, in fact the words "in context" was brought up, and you don't want to know what at least a few of those I mentioned said about those who attempt to use "in context".

Your last paragraph is typical. You may want to wait a bit on the Orlando nightclub shootings, as the Fed's are in a bind here, at this time they are trying to run this as a terrorist organization inspired event, as at this point they don't see it as being inspired by a terror group or a hate crime by someone who was anti gay, as of now they can only link it as revenge on the people who shot him down.

So the shooter himself, claiming allegiance to ISIS, and shouting "Allahu Akbar", while gunning people down, doesn't give rise that this guy is at the least a sympathizer?

Sounds like the FBI is doing some covering of the old backside.

I don't need the DOJ to interpret English for me. Release what is said and I will reach my own conclusion. The fact that the DOJ even attempted to do this tells me just how ignorant they think many Americans are.

This administration also is getting a pass from the media on doing this, with the exception of Fox as someone else pointed out.

Most transparent in history? :ohbrother:

If you are implying that I am ignorant, I have no issue with that, I have thick skin Although it likely violates BGP Rule # 2....anyway, back to the thread...

You can try to twist this into an intellectual discussion if you choose, as you typically will...but as with your grammar, most understand it's just Babel...but I'm sure you are fairly well versed about that historical city as well.

Keep you head in the sand, keep trying to make this about semantics...the rest of us will continue to maintain a vigilant watch and protect the sheep in this country from those that would sacrifice them at the alter of stupidity.

I tire of your attempts to make this something it isn't, but alas, we have a country where people like me and, I suspect @capt278 (if I read into name correctly as I think) will do what we have to do to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic...."

Good luck with your academic attempts to protect your life...I feel sorry for anyone who may rely on you to protect them, they are as good as gone....

If you are implying that I am ignorant, I have no issue with that, I have thick skin Although it likely violates BGP Rule # 2....anyway, back to the thread...

You can try to twist this into an intellectual discussion if you choose, as you typically will...but as with your grammar, most understand it's just Babel...but I'm sure you are fairly well versed about that historical city as well.

Keep you head in the sand, keep trying to make this about semantics...the rest of us will continue to maintain a vigilant watch and protect the sheep in this country from those that would sacrifice them at the alter of stupidity.

I tire of your attempts to make this something it isn't, but alas, we have a country where people like me and, I suspect @capt278 (if I read into name correctly as I think) will do what we have to do to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic...."

Good luck with your academic attempts to protect your life...I feel sorry for anyone who may rely on you to protect them, they are as good as gone....

I took that oath when I joined the Navy. Although I only served four years, I have never forgotten the oath I took. If they want to fight over here, I will defend my family and my country by any means necessary.

Actually yes, God and Allah are one in the same, such as the Hebrew name Yahweh.

First, I think the reason the transcript was redacted to say God in English is because there is an agenda, starting with the President, to try to keep this from being America against Islam. That is wrong-headed in my opinion because there is definitely a large, broad, radical, jihadist faction of Islam that has declared war on the U.S. and the West.

Now, what you say about Arabic-speaking Christians calling their God by the term Allah prior to the existence of Islam is true and they still do so today. It is true that the term "Allah" is the generic term used in Arabic to signify a Supreme Being, in a way that is very similar to the English term "God". In other words, in English, the Christian Deity, Hindu Deity, Islamic Deity, and etc. are all referred to by use of the term "God/god". That is accurate. So in the same way, when speaking of God by use of the generic term in Arabic, both the Muslim and the Christian refer to their God as Allah. But that does not mean they are the same God any more than calling the Hindu Shiva by the term God makes Shiva the same as the Christian God.

The Muslim's God, Allah, is not the same as the Christian's God, the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ. What Muslims and Christians understand about their respective Deities is different and should not be confused as the same. Doing so does not respect either religion's unique beliefs.

As for the term "Yahweh," this is NOT the same as the word "God" because it is actually the personal name of God revealed to Moses in the Old Testament. Whereas the term "God" is a generic term for Deity, the name Yahweh is very specific and personal and has to do with the covenant relationship between Israel and their God. It is the difference between someone calling O'bama Mr. President, and his wife calling him Barack.

FWIW

First, I think the reason the transcript was redacted to say God in English is because there is an agenda, starting with the President, to try to keep this from being America against Islam. That is wrong-headed in my opinion because there is definitely a large, broad, radical, jihadist faction of Islam that has declared war on the U.S. and the West.

Now, what you say about Arabic-speaking Christians calling their God by the term Allah prior to the existence of Islam is true and they still do so today. It is true that the term "Allah" is the generic term used in Arabic to signify a Supreme Being, in a way that is very similar to the English term "God". In other words, in English, the Christian Deity, Hindu Deity, Islamic Deity, and etc. are all referred to by use of the term "God/god". That is accurate. So in the same way, when speaking of God by use of the generic term in Arabic, both the Muslim and the Christian refer to their God as Allah. But that does not mean they are the same God any more than calling the Hindu Shiva by the term God makes Shiva the same as the Christian God.

The Muslim's God, Allah, is not the same as the Christian's God, the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ. What Muslims and Christians understand about their respective Deities is different and should not be confused as the same. Doing so does not respect either religion's unique beliefs.

As for the term "Yahweh," this is NOT the same as the word "God" because it is actually the personal name of God revealed to Moses in the Old Testament. Whereas the term "God" is a generic term for Deity, the name Yahweh is very specific and personal and has to do with the covenant relationship between Israel and their God. It is the difference between someone calling O'bama Mr. President, and his wife calling him Barack.

FWIW

So, you're basically saying there were two different Moseses and two different Abrahams? Because Muslims, Christians and Jews all sprung from these men. The God of Abraham is the same in all three religions. All three just disagree on how to worship Him. Jesus is consider a prophet in Islam.

^You're making my head spin.

Sorry. That argument just wears me out. To suggest that it's different Gods, even though all three religions sprang from the same source, is just mind-boggling. It's either willful, spiteful ignorance, or an extreme arrogance of faith from the standpoint of "that couldn't have come from us." Sorry, but it did.

I will skip the details as both oldgrappler and the others have laid them out pretty clear. What I will say is this: there is only one "true God" That God is not the God of the Muslims that they teach, Not the God of the Hindu's, not the God of anyone other than the Christians and Jews( they will figure this out or some will). There will come a judgement day for all at some point, whether you choose to believe in God or not and you will spend eternity in one place or another. There is no in between. When Jesus died on the cross, he guaranteed everyone living eternal life. You can choose to spend it in heaven or ignore Jesus and the Cross and spend it in Hades. Your choice. This may sound very brash, but someone has to tell the world there is no other way. Not popular Theology in today's watered down world but nevertheless it is the Truth. Now I will go back to the shadows.

So, you're basically saying there were two different Moseses and two different Abrahams? Because Muslims, Christians and Jews all sprung from these men. The God of Abraham is the same in all three religions. All three just disagree on how to worship Him. Jesus is consider a prophet in Islam.

No. There are many similarities among these three monotheistic religions and you mentioned perhaps the most significant--Abraham is seen as a foundational person to each. I am not denying there are similarities. But there are also significant differences that should not and cannot be ignored if you are going to take their truth claims seriously. For instance, the information that the Koran has about Abraham's child of promise is different than that of the Bible. They contradict one another about who that child is. What the Koran says about Jesus is quite different than what the Bible says. They can't both be right. Both can be wrong or one can be right and one wrong, but they can't both be right. The nature of Allah as described in the Koran is different than the nature of the God of the Bible in some significant ways. For instance, for the Muslim, God cannot have a son. In Christianity, Jesus is the Son of God. God, according to Christian teaching, has forever known Himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Islam finds the doctrine of the Trinity to be repugnant.

I know that it is politically correct to say "we all worship the same God" but that is not exactly correct. There are significant differences between Islam and Christianity. To gloss over these significant differences and claim Christianity and Islam teach the same thing regarding the nature of God and a host of other things is actually (1) a distortion of the truth since they simply do not share the most essential things, and (2) it is disrespectful to both religions because it fails to take seriously what each religion claims to be ultimate truth.

I suggest you look at a book titled Is the God of Muhammad the Father of Jesus? by Timothy George. It is written in an irenic spirit but it is not afraid to discuss the essential differences between the two great world religions of Islam and Christianity. There is a good summary of the book's message in an article at ChristianityToday.com. I provide a link here. Your access may be limited but you may be able to read the whole article.

Is the God of Muhammad the Father of Jesus? | Christianity Today

There is no easy ecumenism between the religions of Christianity and Islam. They simply believe different things about God. It is an expression of respect to recognize and acknowledge those differences as important.