Cardinals @ Reds (6/7 - 6/9)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure glad they haven't sent Billy Hamilton back down to the minors, since we were all told on here how he would never hit big league pitching. He still has a long way to go but he is showing the more experience he gets the better chance he will become at least a decent hitter.

Im sure glad they haven't sent Billy Hamilton back down to the minors, since we were all told on here how he would never hit big league pitching. He still has a long way to go but he is showing the more experience he gets the better chance he will become at least a decent hitter.

His OBP is still not good.

His OBP is still not good.

No doubt. That is why I said he still has a long way to go. However many people acted like they seen enough to know he will never hit well. I think he has shown glimpses of getting better. Which for the year he is now close to having one of the best averages on this team.

I have always hated how fans around here are quick to act like they know exactly how someone will always be. Even during the playoff teams a few years back during those years peoole wanted everyone gone at one point and say how those players suck. I just always hate how negative and quick to give up on players people around here are.

Now look its 6 to 4 cards are rallying all because Phillips thinks he is a baseball God.

I can't stand Phillips, but he did nothing "showy" that inning. He tried to turn a horrible Suarez play into a DP, and then he just crapped the bed on a routine grounder. It sucks, but it happens.

Reds just don't have a closer. Let two of the three bottom of the line up guys get on base, you are asking for trouble.

Don't you know? Closers are overrated, you don't need no stinking closers...just run out guys that suck too bad to be starters and take your chances with a 2 run lead in the 9th. Any ole pitcher can get those last 3 outs, right?

Don't you know? Closers are overrated, you don't need no stinking closers...just run out guys that suck too bad to be starters and take your chances with a 2 run lead in the 9th. Any ole pitcher can get those last 3 outs, right?

Closer is the most overrated position in baseball, especially when you're talking about a team like the Reds.

You don't actually believe the bolded, do you? Relief pitchers are just guys that aren't good enough to start? Really?

To support my point:

Coco Cordero, who everyone hated and thought was terrible, converted 86.2% of his save opportunities with the Reds.

Aroldis Chapman, who everyone thinks is just the greatest, converted 89% of his save opportunities with the Reds.

That amounts to a difference of 4 whole games over the 4 year Reds career of Coco.

Closer is the most overrated position in baseball, especially when you're talking about a team like the Reds.

You don't actually believe the bolded, do you? Relief pitchers are just guys that aren't good enough to start? Really?

To support my point:

Coco Cordero, who everyone hated and thought was terrible, converted 86.2% of his save opportunities with the Reds.

Aroldis Chapman, who everyone thinks is just the greatest, converted 89% of his save opportunities with the Reds.

That amounts to a difference of 4 whole games over the 4 year Reds career of Coco.

As to the bolded, no that was hyperbole.

The reason people feel so differently about CoCo and Chapman is that the total number of blown saves...CoCo on average blew 6 per year with the Reds, while Chapman only blew 2 and 3 in his last 2 seasons. Another reason Chapman is looked upon fonder is because as a full time closer he had a 1.90 ERA compared to CoCo's 2.96. That said he was very effective for the Reds...even if most fans didn't appreciate him.

As far as Closers not being important to THIS Reds team...Cingrani alone has blown 5 saves in 10 chances and the Reds have a MLB leading 12 Blown saves. If Chapman had been here all season it would be safe to say that he would have converted at least 9 or 10 of those 12 Blown Saves. Putting the Reds Record at 31-25 in a virtual tie with the Pirates for second place and in the thick of the Wildcard Race.

I can't stand Phillips, but he did nothing "showy" that inning. He tried to turn a horrible Suarez play into a DP, and then he just crapped the bed on a routine grounder. It sucks, but it happens.

I gold glove 2B who's full momentum is going towards 3b on a DP eats the ball and doesnt throw it into the camera box, unless hes a hot dog and God's gift to baseball.

Do you see the look on Votto's face when he threw it, priceless.

Not having Champman on this team proves closers are not overrated.

I gold glove 2B who's full momentum is going towards 3b on a DP eats the ball and doesnt throw it into the camera box, unless hes a hot dog and God's gift to baseball.

Do you see the look on Votto's face when he threw it, priceless.

You really have an odd way of viewing baseball my man. :lol2:

The bullpen has blown many of the games they've lost before Chapman would have been in the game.

Correct, but having Chapman in the bullpen created a fear factor for teams. Not having him in the bullpen makes teams, comfortable.