Cardinals @ Reds (6/7 - 6/9)

I can't stand Phillips, but he did nothing "showy" that inning. He tried to turn a horrible Suarez play into a DP, and then he just crapped the bed on a routine grounder. It sucks, but it happens.

I didn't see the play, but I made a post on here several weeks ago regarding BP & how he looks somewhat disinterested & has been making errors on routine plays (for him). This type of season has to be tough on a veteran like BP who is in the twilight of his career.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the play, but I made a post on here several weeks ago regarding BP & how he looks somewhat disinterested & has been making errors on routine plays (for him). This type of season has to be tough on a veteran like BP who is in the twilight of his career.

And no, I have no sympathy for BP and yes, I realize he could have been in a different situation if he would've waived his no-trade clause.

Correct, but having Chapman in the bullpen created a fear factor for teams. Not having him in the bullpen makes teams, comfortable.

Oh please, if they've already blown the lead, the other team doesn't care if Chapman is on the roster or in Cuba. They wouldn't be competing whether they had Chapman or not. All they'd be doing is wasting money on an unnecessary position.

Oh please, if they've already blown the lead, the other team doesn't care if Chapman is on the roster or in Cuba. They wouldn't be competing whether they had Chapman or not. All they'd be doing is wasting money on an unnecessary position.

Chapman also puts buts in the seats, which increases revenue, which means more funds to spend on players.

At the current rate, it does no good to have all this young talent, by the time this young talent will get good, the Reds will not be able to afford to keep them, with the current revenue #'s.

Chapman also puts buts in the seats, which increases revenue, which means more funds to spend on players.

At the current rate, it does no good to have all this young talent, by the time this young talent will get good, the Reds will not be able to afford to keep them, with the current revenue #'s.

Chapman doesn't put people in the seats. Well, maybe about 25-50 people a night. Insignificant.

In just 44 innings of 9th inning or later pitching this season the Reds have already allowed 30 runs.

Last season in 63.2 innings of 9th inning or later pitching Chapman allowed only 11 earned runs.

While many still hold to the fact that Closers don't matter, the simple fact is that this team would be in the Wild Card hunt today, if they had Chapman here since opening day.

In just 44 innings of 9th inning or later pitching this season the Reds have already allowed 30 runs.

Last season in 63.2 innings of 9th inning or later pitching Chapman allowed only 11 earned runs.

While many still hold to the fact that Closers don't matter, the simple fact is that this team would be in the Wild Card hunt today, if they had Chapman here since opening day.

No they wouldn't be...:ohbrother:

No they wouldn't be...:ohbrother:

You don't think Chapman alone wouldn't have converted the majority of those 12 blown saves? This team does stink, but give them 9 or 10 wins from those blown saves and they would be right in the wild card race...you can deny it all you want but the numbers and math say different.

You don't think Chapman alone wouldn't have converted the majority of those 12 blown saves? This team does stink, but give them 9 or 10 wins from those blown saves and they would be right in the wild card race...you can deny it all you want but the numbers and math say different.

A couple things...

A blown save doesn't equate a loss. So just because they get a BS, doesn't mean they didn't end up winning the game. That's fallacy #1 in your argument.

Fallacy #2 - A blown save can occur in situations where Chapman wouldn't have been pitching. Example: 4/8/16 Reds held a 5-2 going into the 8th inning. Ended up giving up 4 runs in the 8th and lost. That's a blown save, yet it's very likely Chapman wouldn't have been in.

Fallacy #3 - Of the runs the Reds have given up in the 9th inning this year, I counted 25 that had no impact on the outcome of the game (either the Reds were winning going into the inning and still won, or they were losing and the other team just added to their lead), or that the Reds still ended up winning even with the save being blown. Those games wouldn't change their record.