Is Mercer County the best team in the state?

Mercer could fall into the role of Gonzaga if they make it to Lexington. There's absolutely no advantage to playing a soft high school schedule. You need to be challenged so things like free throws down the stretch, 50/50 foul calls, and bad shooting nights don't override the fact that you're in Rupp- and about everyone who knows anything about Kentucky high school basketball thinks you're beatable.

I count myself among the "everyone who knows anything about Kenrucky high school basketball." Of course Mercer is beatable - as are ALL teams. I wasn't convinced they'd win at Wayne last week, nor am I convinced they'll win a handful of their remaining games. There are just too many variables on any given night.

Having said that, that's always true. The best team doesn't always win every night. But, as Purple Pride has shown, a very strong case can be made that they're the best team in the state.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trevon Faulkner, to me, is the glue for this team. In the "test" that was AC last week, he took over periods of that game. Put the team on his back and drove the lane with wreck less abandon, the whole time being absolutely ripped by the colorful student section. This guy never flinched at a 12 pt. hole. Of course Will and Dylan did their part too, but I'm not sure they walk out with the W, if not for the poise shown by Trevon. I'm a "homer" so of course I'm going to say that Mercer is most definitely the #1 team in the state! All I know for sure though, is that they are the most fun to watch, of any high school team I've ever been around

Make your case. You'll be taken more seriously if you do, otherwise, it's whatever.

Your words, not mine were "very soft schedule". You made the accusation of "very soft". Why should I have to make the case? But I will anyway.

Christian County has played 17 games. 11 have been against teams with winning records. They've already played 6 teams that have 15 wins or more. the average record of their opponents is 11-6.

Have they played the toughest schedule in the state? nope. It's hard to when you're a far wky team. But your words were "very easy". Only a fool would say Christian County's schedule was "very soft".

Thanks. Appreciate the opportunity to make my case.

The 12th region tournament won't be an easy road for Mercer County but it's no where near as tough as it was last year. That being said with what they have left I think they will finish undefeated.

I think there is more teams in the 12th this year capable of pulling an upset (pulaski, casey,boyle,lincoln,rock). However i don't think there is a team as good as the Boyle County team last year. I will venture to say i don't think any team is as good as Lincoln or Wayne was last year either.

Your words, not mine were "very soft schedule". You made the accusation of "very soft". Why should I have to make the case? But I will anyway.

Christian County has played 17 games. 11 have been against teams with winning records. They've already played 6 teams that have 15 wins or more. the average record of their opponents is 11-6.

Have they played the toughest schedule in the state? nope. It's hard to when you're a far wky team. But your words were "very easy". Only a fool would say Christian County's schedule was "very soft".

First, I never discussed their schedule here or anywhere else for that matter, so there's that.

Glad you made your case. With all due respect, it's not that convincing however.

First, I never discussed their schedule here or anywhere else for that matter, so there's that.

Glad you made your case. With all due respect, it's not that convincing however.

Youre right, but you called me out... So I made the case. I didn't have much of a case to make. All I had to do was prove it wasn't "very soft". It obviously isn't. I could go through and break down every team. But I don't have to. The standard I have to get to is "very soft". The fact that they have already played several teams with 15 or more wins along with their opponent's having a combined winning record, it's obviously not "very soft".

Youre right, but you called me out... So I made the case. I didn't have much of a case to make. All I had to do was prove it wasn't "very soft". It obviously isn't. I could go through and break down every team. But I don't have to. The standard I have to get to is "very soft". The fact that they have already played several teams with 15 or more wins along with their opponent's having a combined winning record, it's obviously not "very soft".

Their KY opponents combined record is 103-83. They have a quality win vs Tilghman no doubt. And maybe you can toss Daviess and Webster in there as decent opponents. But to be honest, no one knows the quality of opponent from out of state. The Christmas tourney they went 2-2.

For the record, I think CC is a top 2 squad in the commonwealth, but I'm not buying that they've played a juggernaut schedule. If your measuring stick is "very soft", well I hope they have a higher standard. I appreciate you stating your case. But it's this time of year you come out of the woodwork to pound the WKY drum and I'm glad you did.

Actually "very soft" were my words. You should also note that my comments noted an exclusion to their out of state tournament (I should have been more specific to all out of state opponents as they give very little frame of reference).

Of the Kentucky teams they have played the only one that I would consider a quality opponent is Paducah Tilghman. Tilghman is borderline top 25 in the state, but probably more in the top 40 range. After that they haven't played another team that is in the top two in their region or in the top 50 in the state.

Playing a lot of average teams doesn't make a schedule very strong. According to Maher they have the 58 toughest schedule.

For a top 5-10 team I consider that soft schedule.

This may or may not answer the question, but I think if every team played its best, Dunbar is #1.

Ummm...I don't know about that. I would say they and Mercer would be neck and neck, but between the two I'd say with Dunbar there is more of a question as to what team you will get on a given night.