Daewoo DP51 9MM with Kimber Name

Watusi

Have you ever seen one of these little 9MM with a Kimber name on it before Kimber was Kimber? I saw this one for trade on facebook for $400 trade value. I had never heard of one before and wondered how much of this was true. I thought it was interesting...

Before Kimber was everyone's 1911 of choice, and before they were made in Yonkers, NY, Kimber was just a little gun company located in Clackamas, OR. This 9MM is made by Daewoo (Model DP51) but stamped with the Kimber name. Unique part of Kimber's history!

Daewoo DP51 9mm Luger tri-action pistol, used by the South Korean Military and police. In the 1990s, South Korean army adopted the first domestically designed 9mm pistol, the K5. Developed and manufactured in Korea by the Daewoo Precision Industries branch of the Daewoo Corporation, the K5 pistol is now standard sidearm of the armed forces of South Korea. It is also offered for export in several modifications and calibers. The basic 9mm K5 is sold as Daewoo DP-51. For a while Kimber imported these and offered them with the Kimber name.

12507318_1728675374031165_32233285029643796_n.jpg?oh=5d8793002cf44e346df0280caf01060e&oe=57451F6F

12509324_1728675387364497_6553151674374613138_n.jpg?oh=e7afd24a07fcf3f01fa16bb9f3f5432d&oe=573860D2

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not interested in buying it, but I thought the backstory was interesting. I didn't know Daewoo made anything but home stereo equipment and really cheap cars.

It looks a lot like the old 5904 Smith and Wesson with slight differences. It took me a while to identify it but I knew I had seen a S&W that looked like that.

S%26W-5904-Early-RIGHT.jpg

It also reminds me of my Sig P225 that was made in the 80's (and I bought off of Strike3 a few years back). Mine is a P225 Made in Germany, not the P6 that a million of them were imported a few years ago. For a single stack 9MM I really like this one.

SIG_Sauer_P225_Pistol_27441.jpg

The really interesting thing to me is this "tri-action" trigger. I looked it up and here is a Gun Review on the Lionheart LH9 that came out a couple of years ago with what they called a "new" feature.

Gun Review: Lionheart LH9 - The Truth About Guns

Really handsome gun, and made by, guess who? Daewoo. The review says the LH9 is the American version of the new K5 (same as the original posted above with the Kimber name)

P1230567-900x601.jpg

Here is an explanation of the tri-action...

The LH9 has a single action mode, where the trigger releases a cocked hammer. It also has a double action mode, where the trigger cocks the hammer and then releases it to fire the gun. And then it has a “double action+” mode that’s its claim to fame. Here’s how it works:

1. Rack the slide, loading a live round into the chamber. This cocks the hammer back to full cocked position.

2. DO NOT PULL THE TRIGGER. In fact, flip the safety on.

3. Using your finger, push the hammer forward towards the firing pin. There is a firing pin block, so the gun shouldn’t go off without the trigger being pulled.

4. When ready to fire, flip the safety off. A light touch of the trigger will snap the hammer back to full cocked position and give you a single action trigger pull.

Here is a video of the tri-action

[video=youtube;fsW-S-8qvwU]

I loved my old 9mm but I would be slightly concerned about stopping power if you are using it as a primary self defense weapon.

To a degree, all service calibers (9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .38 Special) don't have very good stopping ability. To quote a police officer/fire arms instructor, "I use my side arm to fight my way to my long gun in my cruiser."

A lot gun owners have unrealistic beliefs in the stopping ability of the .45 ACP. Big projectile, problem is it only travels at around 830 feet per second.

To a degree, all service calibers (9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .38 Special) don't have very good stopping ability. To quote a police officer/fire arms instructor, "I use my side arm to fight my way to my long gun in my cruiser."

A lot gun owners have unrealistic beliefs in the stopping ability of the .45 ACP. Big projectile, problem is it only travels at around 830 feet per second.

But it is like getting hit with a brick.