Pete Rose not reinstated

LOOGY

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The one thing that really came across to me is how much John Dowd despises Pete.

I just figured an investigator would be neutral and just let the results speak for themselves. But it's clear he takes it personally. Not sure if Pete banged his wife or what.

Someone earlier mentioned the separation between the HOF and MLB and whether MLB was in charge of forcing the HOF to tie inclusion with whether or not reinstated. I'm going to assume that the two essentially work in tandem.

MLB taking money from DFS is much less hypocritical than the simple way they treat the Pete situation and I have him pretty dang low on my list of how much respect a person deserves.

It shouldn't be up to an organization recognizing on field accomplishments to police the game. Clearly the MLB has an ax to grind (and I mostly don't blame them), but have a spine and stop giving individual permission to Pete to appear at anything sanctioned by the game. Heck if the HOF feels so strongly, stop him at the door and don't let him step foot in the building. The MLB could ban him from stepping foot in a stadium and could pressure TBS to not allow him on the broadcasts. Blackball the guy all you want, but I'm a baseball fan, and you can't erase what happened on the field for all those years. Pete should absolutely be punished, but as a professional baseball fan, I feel like the Hall is tainted by politics and I hate it.

Pete's banishment was before my time so I don't know a lot of the ins and outs of it. I read a comment yesterday that said he accepted the ban in a deal for avoiding prosecution. Can anyone shed some light on that? That would probably change my view of it a little more. Either way, I think he should be inducted posthumously.

Pete's banishment was before my time so I don't know a lot of the ins and outs of it. I read a comment yesterday that said he accepted the ban in a deal for avoiding prosecution. Can anyone shed some light on that? That would probably change my view of it a little more. Either way, I think he should be inducted posthumously.

Rose had agreed to a lifetime ban by signing a document stating that he would neither admit or deny he had gambled on baseball, that he would be banned from the game for life, but that he would be given the opportunity to apply for reinstatement.

As far as avoiding prosecution, I don't know what he would have been charged with if he admitted betting but he was convicted of tax crimes for failing to report almost $400,000 in income from memorabilia sales, autograph signings and personal appearances.

While I think Pere is a Hall of Famer, it amazes me how many people make him out to be a better player than he really was. There's no denying his hit record. But Pete was the ultimate compiler who hung on way too long. I know he played 5 different positions, but had he played just one, would he be considered one of the best or even top 10 ever at that position?? Maybe 2nd base. He really did nothing great except hit singles and stay healthy. Average career OPS, decent career average. A liability in the field and slow on the bases for the last 1/3 of his career. I know he's a legend in this area, and appeals to blue collar guys. But his greatness is mostly way overstated.

The vanity, arrogance, and self promotion that's keeping him out of the Hall of Fame now, is what kept him in the game far longer than he should have been and allowed him to accumulate the numbers he did.

Edited by rjs4470

Rose had agreed to a lifetime ban by signing a document stating that he would neither admit or deny he had gambled on baseball, that he would be banned from the game for life, but that he would be given the opportunity to apply for reinstatement.

As far as avoiding prosecution, I don't know what he would have been charged with if he admitted betting but he was convicted of tax crimes for failing to report almost $400,000 in income from memorabilia sales, autograph signings and personal appearances.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Pete has scheduled a press conference at 2pm from where else but Las Vegas!

Best to keep his mouth shut and simply make a short statement accepting the decision. Odds says that in the press conference, he will confirm for all to see that MLB was right in continuing the banishment. What a shame. He was my favorite player growing up.

While I think Pere is a Hall of Famer, it amazes me how many people make him out to be a better player than he really was. There's no denying his hit record. But Pete was the ultimate compiler who hung on way too long. I know he played 5 different positions, but had he played just one, would he be considered one of the best or even top 10 ever at that position?? Maybe 2nd base. He really did nothing great except hit singles and stay healthy. Average career OPS, decent career average. A liability in the field and slow on the bases for the last 1/3 of his career. I know he's a legend in this area, and appeals to blue collar guys. But his greatness is mostly way overstated.

The vanity, arrogance, and self promotion that's keeping him out of the Hall of Fame now, is what kept him in the game far longer than he should have been and allowed him to accumulate the numbers he did.

In 1985 at age 44 in 501 PA Pete hit .264 with a .395 OBP. In 2015 only Harper, Cabreara, Votto, Goldschmidt, Trout, and McCurcheon were higher than .395.

In 1985 he was 8th in all of MLB in OBP. Your "hanging around" argument doesn't hold up.