Massie pushes bill to defund Boehner's new office

All Tell

He is not the only one involved. While it is Kentucky's bridge, the bridge should be of Ohio's Governor's and Congressman's concern, in addition to ours plus senators. Since this bridge is important to trade for the entire region, you would think that all states that I-75 run through and states that feed off of it like Indiana would jump on board. And then there is the big concern of how to pay for it. Maybe a concerned citizen out there can come up with a compromise plan that would make everyone want to jump on board.

If you like a politician because of his ideology, fine. But if said politician lets his extremist ideology get in the way of bringing home the bacon for his district, that's quite different. Funding for the much-needed Brent Spence bridge replacement is miniscule in the big picture of government spending. If Massie had been on board with this project from the start, we might already have a construction timetable.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is not the only one involved. While it is Kentucky's bridge, the bridge should be of Ohio's Governor's and Congressman's concern, in addition to ours plus senators. Since this bridge is important to trade for the entire region, you would think that all states that I-75 run through and states that feed off of it like Indiana would jump on board. And then there is the big concern of how to pay for it. Maybe a concerned citizen out there can come up with a compromise plan that would make everyone want to jump on board.

Why would Ohio and Indiana jump on it? Their citizens have other access to getting across the river. Doesn't Kentucky own tax rights on river transport? Better yet, Kentucky owns the whole river along its border. This, unfortunately, is Kentucky's baby.

I did say the bridge was Kentucky's, but due to the regional importance of the bridge I would think that Ohio and other states would jump on board. If Ohio citizens have access to other bridges, wouldn't Kentucky citizens have access to those same bridges? I am all for tolls being a source of funding the bridge. While Mr. Massie may not have pushed to get a bridge built at this point, has he been voting against a new bridge, unless it could not be paid for without adding to the debt? In another thread, it was pointed out that the new budget included $1.6 billion for resettling illegal aliens. This budget item just adds to the debt, but if your going to add to the debt, why not use it to build a bridge for interstate trade?

If you like a politician because of his ideology, fine. But if said politician lets his extremist ideology get in the way of bringing home the bacon for his district, that's quite different. Funding for the much-needed Brent Spence bridge replacement is miniscule in the big picture of government spending. If Massie had been on board with this project from the start, we might already have a construction timetable.

In what way is he extremist? He wants a smaller federal government that takes care of items like a bridge for interstate trade. Because of many minuscule items and some big ticket items, the government is deep in debt and cannot pay for items like a new bridge. He is just trying to keep future generations from being saddled with a huge debt.

Why would Ohio and Indiana jump on it? Their citizens have other access to getting across the river. Doesn't Kentucky own tax rights on river transport? Better yet, Kentucky owns the whole river along its border. This, unfortunately, is Kentucky's baby.

As I understand it several miles of highway on either side of the bridge would be involved, which makes it a major Ohio issue also.

In what way is he extremist? He wants a smaller federal government that takes care of items like a bridge for interstate trade. Because of many minuscule items and some big ticket items, the government is deep in debt and cannot pay for items like a new bridge. He is just trying to keep future generations from being saddled with a huge debt.

Massie's larger problem is that he gets along with no one in D.C., except for other Tea Party extremists. If a congressman can't lead on an interstate bridge project in the heart of his district, then he's worthless.

Because he wants to keep the nation from going deeper in debt does not make him an extremist. Nor does this make him worthless. He has some principles that he wishes to maintain. The bridge is not falling down, at worst it is a bottleneck. People will work around the situation. Find a way to pay for the bridge without going deeper in debt. Disagree with him on the substance of the issue.

Massie's larger problem is that he gets along with no one in D.C., except for other Tea Party extremists. If a congressman can't lead on an interstate bridge project in the heart of his district, then he's worthless.

Since you are so consistent I take it you'll agree that Mitch McConnell is a tremendously worthwhile senator?

Why was this project not done with the gazillion dollar stimulus spending from the first term?

Why?

This is exactly the project that should have been done with a vast amount of the peoples money grabbed for that supposed effort.

So lets blame the administration - the Obama administration - for its complete failure to do what it said the stimulus was meant to do. They lied.

I talked to a National Parks employee at the Jefferson Memorial in 2010 and she pointed that the work to keep the land around the memorial from erroding and endangering the memorial - I said - 'so the memorial was going to just slide into the Potomac River without the stimulus package - really?'

She was no amused but seemed to get the point.

The bridge should have been done with the stimulus package. But instead they slapped signs on pre-existing projects and God knows where the funds really went.

Massie seems extreme to those you are happy with business as usual in Washington. The normal spend and over spend nature. We need politicians like him who push back on the normal over spending in Washington if we are ever to get change.

You do realize that Massie has a paid staff of over 25 people right?