Beechwood 31 Newport Central Catholic 14

theguru

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say that I was impressed with NCCs defensive sets. I won't say they stopped BW but I would say that BW was under 3 yards a carry? That is unusual and something they needed to see before the playoffs. I think both of these teams are just fine going into the playoffs. Hope 3 is okay. Very good player.

I think Smith is fine and will play when it counts. Kid is very fast and is talented but needs to get tougher to play At the next level. He takes himself out too much and gets hurt A lot. I see that a lot with good players though, especially when they are losing.

I agree Stringer wasn't going to catch him but it bugs me to see a kid stop trying on a play. Make Smith run hard all the way

Yes and no. I don't know how many carries he had tonight but playing both ways is exhausting and even if he did catch Smith that play it would have been in the end zone so I give the kid a pass in that play. Now if he didn't play both ways then I might say something to him.

As far as the rest of the game. Yes BW clearly was the better team in be field, sorry mex, but I would love to see the time of possession for both teams. Beechwood controlled the clock and it seemed every drive they had were 59+ yard drives. The score was a lot closer at the half than it should have been.

Here is the game summary.

Beechwood took the opening kickoff and marched 73 yards to a score with little problem. QB Kyle Fieger connected for a 10 yard score to Brett Slusher, Daniel Mescher added the XP and the Tigers led 7-0. After forcing a 3 and out, Beechwood went on another long drive. This drive stretched into the second quarter and ended with a Fieger to Slusher 3 yard TD, Mescher XP, 14-0 with 8:50 to go in the half.

New Cath's stud RB Jacob Smith made his presence known on the second play of the following possession with a 61 yard TD run, Ryan Hans XP and it was quickly 14-7 at the 8 minute mark. Beechwood's stud Slusher answered right back taking a quick out pass and using his speed to go 80 yards for a score. Mescher added the XP and it was now 21-7 with 6:35 left in the half.

The remainder of the second quarter got sloppy. New Cath fumbled the kickoff return to Beechwood. Just a couple plays later Beechwood fumbled the ball right back to New Cath. Then New Cath moved the ball but had a mixup on a snap that put them in a long yardage hole that forced them to point. Beechwood had a little over a minute to work with but their own sloppy play and a dropped pass forced a 3 and out. The Breds then got their act together with a nice two minute drill drive that ended with QB Patrick Henschen lobbing a jump ball pass into the end zone that Trent Wrobleski went up and got for the score with 17 seconds to go in the half, Hans XP, 21-14

New Cath received the second half kickoff and grinded out a nice drive from their own 30. As they got into the red zone, Slusher took over on defense making several key one man tackles, including catching Smith from the backside on a play that looked like he might score. NCC was forced to try a field goal from 29 yards and it went wide left.

Beechwood used up most of the rest of the third quarter on a drive that stalled inside the 10 and forced the Tigers to try a field goal. Mescher connected from 24 yards and put the Tigers up 24-14 with 1:54 to go in the quarter.

Smith returned the kickoff and looked like he might break it but was stripped of the ball by a Tiger and Beechwood was back in business at the 50. Once again the Breds responded by getting a turnover of their own when Austin Neff made a nice play jumping up to grab a Fieger pass, just the second INT Fieger has thrown all year. New Cath had it 1st and 10 at the Beechwood 45 but then a fumbled ball and pile up led to a personal foul on the Breds and the long yardage was too much, wasting the opportunity with a 3 and out.

As the 4th quarter started Beechwood had a penalty of their own that forced them into a punt, which Brett Slusher kicked out of bounds at the 4 yard line. The Breds looked like they might get a drive started but that man Slusher stripped the ball from a Bred, picked up the loose ball and ran it down to the 3. Off setting personal fouls for the second time in the game did no damage. The Breds made a couple nice plays but then Fieger found Ethan Stringer with a 10 yard TD pass that put the game away, Mescher XP, 31-14 with 3:57 to go.

The Breds did not quit. They returned the kickoff across mid field. The offense moved the ball. Then Slusher struck again. He made a nice tackle on Henschen that forced a fumble which Slusher recovered at the 10. Ball game.

Edited by EyeOfTheTiger

A couple of side notes to this game. To enter the field prior to kickoff, Beechwood honored tradition by coming down the walkway from the rear of the school where the old locker room used to be and where they came from when they last won a state title. They returned to the field house at halftime. Also, Mescher did the kicking and did a fine job filling in for German who I heard broke his leg in a car accident. I was surprised to see the Bred's kicker miss his FG attempt. He put on quite a show at halftime booming them from over 50 yards on a consistent basis. He was the only player on the field for about 5 minutes and since the band was out of town it provided the fans with a little entertainment. Kid has a leg and so does the NCC punter. They might be one in the same. I did not pay attention to the jersey number as I was too busy watching the kicks.

I think Smith is fine and will play when it counts. Kid is very fast and is talented but needs to get tougher to play At the next level. He takes himself out too much and gets hurt A lot. I see that a lot with good players though, especially when they are losing.

Exactly how many games has Smuth missed?

I was at the game tonight. NCC played hard, it has to be a single season record for personal fouls against the Breds.

I never felt like Beechwood was ever in trouble tonight. Both teams need to cut down the turnovers going forward.

I agree tark. Both teams need to clean things up in their next big game or they will be going home.

First, congrats to BW. Well played game with exception to a few TO's. Great game plan executed by great players. State finals are within reach for sure

Secondly, IMO, NewCath will not get past Lloyd unless they cut out stupid penalties and find someone else to call the plays. You have Anderson who is 6'3 being covered man to man by a young man who is listed as 5'6 and not once did they test that match up. The QB still runs to the sidelines for every play call. He must run 10 miles a game to the side and back. This team is not playing NewCath football and it's a down right shame.

NewCath coaching is their worst enemy. Bottom line.

BW was much better than NewCath tonight and they don't make it back to State. Enough said.

New cath has talent and has big athletic kids. I am surprised they are not better. The QB could be very good with the right schooling. 6'5" with huge hands and can move, throws a nice ball. Only a junior so I expect big things from him. Hopefully they work with him because I think he can be the best QB in Nky next year. He has the tools, just needs coaching.