Beechwood 31 Newport Central Catholic 14

theguru

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on Facebook tonight. Great example of sportsmanship!

Last night, the Beechwood Tigers played the Newport Central Catholic Thoroughbreds. It was a great game, and the NCC fans could not have been more gracious to our sweet little Hailey, who is suffering from a terrible disease called MLD. The New Cath community not only cheered exuberantly for Hailey when she arrived at the game, but they also ordered T-shirts and bracelets and made donations at the game to support research to find a cure for this terrible disease. The class you showed was tremendous. Your grace made me proud to be a football fan and a human being. Last night, we were all on ‪#‎TeamHailey‬. Thank you. 

Slusher's brothers are Brandon and Brady. Brandon went to NKU on a baseball scholarship and is now the trainer at Beechwood, at least he was last year. Brady was a walk on at UC football. I'm not sure how that worked out. Both brothers were members of State Champion football teams at Beechwood. Something that is never mentioned is that Kyle Fieger and Slusher are first cousins.

Slusher's brothers are Brandon and Brady. Brandon went to NKU on a baseball scholarship and is now the trainer at Beechwood, at least he was last year. Brady was a walk on at UC football. I'm not sure how that worked out. Both brothers were members of State Champion football teams at Beechwood. Something that is never mentioned is that Kyle Fieger and Slusher are first cousins.

Like Brady Hightchew and Chris Kelly for NewCath a few seasons back. That has to be awesome for the family to enjoy. They certainly have a great connection

What was his name? Thought that name sounded familiar. He play in state championship?

Yes he played in both the 2007 and 2008 state championship games. I remember one play he had on special teams in the 2007 game where he made a huge block on a kid to clear the way for a big punt return, and then CAUGHT BACK UP WITH THE RETURNER to block the last kid in his way to make it a return for a TD. Played somewhere else at first but ended up at UC playing a little here and there.

Agreed that this Beechwood team feeds off one another. This group of seniors are close and play for each other. The line is thin and has had some dings along the way with injury...Rowe missed a couple games with a knee, Hermes hasnt missed a start after a separated shoulder in the Cov Cath game. They will ramp up and find there grove now. The skill kids will score the points but the line will get them there.

The Tiger line needed this game aginst a competent opponent to begin the ramp up in competition as the playoffs move forward. New Cath provided that. Overstreet is the "bell cow" of this group. Hermes at the other tackle can also move people off the ball offensively and absorbs double teams virtually every play on defense. Rowe Sherron Benson and Lang are also huge contributors as are Juniors Campbell and Everett at times.

Playing both ways on the line is huge. Beechwood will go as far as the line takes them. Good luck to the Breds. Go Tigers

The Tiger line needed this game aginst a competent opponent to begin the ramp up in competition as the playoffs move forward. New Cath provided that. Overstreet is the "bell cow" of this group. Hermes at the other tackle can also move people off the ball offensively and absorbs double teams virtually every play on defense. Rowe Sherron Benson and Lang are also huge contributors as are Juniors Campbell and Everett at times.

Playing both ways on the line is huge. Beechwood will go as far as the line takes them. Good luck to the Breds. Go Tigers

Agree on needing it. That was a physical team. I think Cov Cath and Ironton were a little better, but was a good reminder that there are good physical teams out there. Lawrence might be the single best individual lineman I've seen in a couple years.

Lawrence might be the single best individual lineman I've seen in a couple years.

The young man is a treat to watch.

Just like many NewCath players (and other NKY players) before him, height keeps offers from potential bigtime programs from coming their way. Kid is an absolute beast.