Republican Primary Debate (CNBC)

price499

From Factcheck.org

Rubio said CNBC’s John Harwood was “wrong” that the Tax Foundation analysis of his tax plan found “you give nearly twice as much of a gain in after-tax income to the top 1 percent as to people in the middle of the income scale.” But that is what the Tax Foundation found.

Rubio responded that the largest percentage gains would be for those with the lowest incomes, which is also true, according to the Tax Foundation’s analysis. But that doesn’t make Harwood’s statement wrong.

The Tax Foundation concluded that Rubio’s plan, when scored “dynamically” to account for expected economic growth, would result in an after-tax income increase of nearly 28 percent for those in the top 1 percent, while those in the middle income deciles — 40 percent to 50 percent and 50 percent to 60 percent — would see their after-tax income rise by 15.7 percent and 15.3 percent, respectively. People with incomes in the lowest 10 percent would see the greatest percentage gains, nearly 56 percent.

In other words, the greatest percentage income gains would be realized by those with low or high incomes, with smaller percentage gains for those in the middle.

The president of the tax foundation tweeted out live during the debate that Rubio was right.

So I'll take the word of the organzation who did the analysis over a suppose fact checker.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like the only thing keeping Mr Bush from dropping out is his vast war chest.

David Plotz said on the Slate Political Gabfest last week that even if Bush didn't raise another dime, he could keep his campaign going at current spending levels until at least March. He's got stacks of money it would seem.

Kasich seemed like the sober guy and he made some good points. Far more compelling than Jeb! as the "establishment" guy. But he's still kind of weird. Definitely has more of the vibe of a candidate that gets run out against an incumbent than one who would be the party's best hope in an open election.

I was intrigued to see how they were each going to answer about their biggest weakness. I had no idea what anyone would say and thought it would be interesting. I was very disappointed that right out of the gates, Kasich complete ignored it.

Doesn't mean I won't for the guy (I'm very undecided) but that just annoyed me right off the bat.

It sounds like the only thing keeping Mr Bush from dropping out is his vast war chest.

David Plotz said on the Slate Political Gabfest last week that even if Bush didn't raise another dime, he could keep his campaign going at current spending levels until at least March. He's got stacks of money it would seem.

FWIW, it's a lot easier to turn around his debate performances than to raise that kind of cash, so he's got that going for him. Romney and McCain were both underwhelming at the outset of their respective campaigns and eventually turned it around.

I expect the herd to thin at some point and I think Jeb! is probably better suited for a debate where answers can be a bit longer. He's not very good at the quips and such that other candidates hammer.

But even still, he's going to have to actually make an effort at some point.

I was intrigued to see how they were each going to answer about their biggest weakness. I had no idea what anyone would say and thought it would be interesting. I was very disappointed that right out of the gates, Kasich complete ignored it.

Doesn't mean I won't for the guy (I'm very undecided) but that just annoyed me right off the bat.

:lol2: Same here. Granted, none of them really answered it except for Jeb! and his answer was awful.

FWIW, it's a lot easier to turn around his debate performances than to raise that kind of cash, so he's got that going for him. Romney and McCain were both underwhelming at the outset of their respective campaigns and eventually turned it around.

I expect the herd to thin at some point and I think Jeb! is probably better suited for a debate where answers can be a bit longer. He's not very good at the quips and such that other candidates hammer.

But even still, he's going to have to actually make an effort at some point.

I've heard several different times that Mr. Bush considers himself a bit of an introvert and doesn't really enjoy the campaigning process, but he loves governing and loves policy so he continues to do it. Political office-holding is a strange business for someone who doesn't really like the day-to-day grind of campaigning.

I've heard several different times that Mr. Bush considers himself a bit of an introvert and doesn't really enjoy the campaigning process, but he loves governing and loves policy so he continues to do it. Political office-holding is a strange business for someone who doesn't really like the day-to-day grind of campaigning.

That makes sense. And I sympathize with him on that. There's a lot of "putting on" you have to do that would nauseate me. Some of these other candidates are naturals at it.

During the Confederate flag fiasco this summer, I remember reading about how as governor of Florida he had the flag removed and then personally answered a number of emails from Floridians criticizing him. That seems far more engaged than anything I've seen from him on the trail.

Because I'm lazy can someone tell me what the issue is regarding a question Sen Rubio got about his financial issues that he said were discredited? Joe Scarborough said he flat out lied.

I don't think he lied. He dodged it. He said some was discredited. I think asking someone why they liquidated part of a retirement account was a ridiculous question.

Disagree. Silly irrelevant question IMO. You're not going to get anything of substance. Why waste the time?

Disagree. Silly irrelevant question IMO. You're not going to get anything of substance. Why waste the time?

You could say that about a lot of the things we waste time on during the next 53 weeks.

Was it a question I would have asked? No. Since they asked it, I was interested to see how they actually handled it and who would actually answer the question without throwing themselves under the bus.

Thought it was a horrible choice to start the night off with . Literally jaw dropping right off the bat . And it set the tone for a night of negativity that has never been seen before . Like Habib said , bizarre , lost control , incompetent . The moderators should never be the hottest topic after a debate . But hey it's NBC. I knew it would be bad but didn't dream it would be openly hostile .

If it was as bad as some are making it out to be (I don't know, I was watching the World Series at the time)...let me pose a hypothetical question to you. If Cruz's remarks about it are apparently so favorable, what would you have thought to a candidate actually just walking out (after explaining why, of course)? Would you give him/her props? Or would you consider them a cry-baby?