Teacher who was late 111 times says he was eating breakfast

HammerTime

Nothing I hate more than when people are late. It's disrespectful IMO.

I am with you on that.

For me personally, I hate being late and I hate being early because waiting aroung my ADHD kicks in and drives me nuts! I am a walking self imposed contradiction...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am late occasionally for differing reasons, and have to call/email if I am going to be. Our policy is pretty liberal for office staff when not dealing directly with the public, pretty strict when we are in the field working on site somewhere. If it becomes a problem, my manager will let me know...if it continues then progressive discipline is started, and same goes for the employees I manage.

If a guy has been late 111 times and nothing was said, then it is being condoned through management inaction. Can't suddenly want to fire the guy when nothing was said/done the 5th, 72nd, or 103rd time. If I have an employee constantly coming in late or doing something they shouldn't be or not doing something they should be, first thing my boss is going to do is ask ME what have I said/done to the employee. If I haven't done anything, then I get reamed for not doing my job as a manger.

I may have been reading between the lines, but the article seemed to suggest the guy's a standout teacher without actually saying so. May have something to do with why they let certain things slide. No different than a winning football coach getting a lot more leeway than a losing one.

Chronic lateness has to be one of my pet peeves! I have to be clocked in and working at 7:00 am. I always eat breakfast before I get to work. The same people are always " a minute or two" late. There are another couple of people who have to get breakfast right after work starts. Throw in a handful of smokers who take 15 minute "bathroom breaks" in our non smoking facility and I want to scream. Don't get me started on young folks and their inability to put away their phones. I don't understand any of this.

Whatever happened to getting ready for work, showing up on time, and working?

We get points at work, based on clocking in and out. You go points for clocking in or out early as well as points for calling off. You get counseling, suspension, and ten fired. Exceptions are made for bad weather. Doesn't make any difference how great an employee you are. I love the point system . I have had two call offs in 15 years. I know people who call off a couple times a month.

Only flaw in the system is that people clock in on time then go about other business and are still late actually beginning their day