Newport Central Catholic/Campbell County Predictions

uk#1fan

Who do you think wins this game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins this game?

• Newport Catholic
    • Campbell County

Please lose your Highlands gear. I personally don't think you're much of a Highlands fan, but that's just me. I expect you'll move to the side of whoever's winning. I saw Ncc a few times last year and like several of their returning players. I think it will be a close game. If Ncc can get any offense going, I think they'll win. I'll take Ncc 20-14.

What is wrong with going to a football game just to see 2 teams you respect? Your comments make for a sad state of affairs for high school football. What exactly did she say that warrants a response like you gave her anyway? Trust me when I say this, Highlands would be much better off with fans like her than fans like you.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is wrong with going to a football game just to see 2 teams you respect? Your comments make for a sad state of affairs for high school football. What exactly did she say that warrants a response like you gave her anyway? Trust me when I say this, Highlands would be much better off with fans like her than fans like you.

It was sarcasm after we were making comments back and forth yesterday where I told her she always roots for whoever is winning. I think and hope she didn't take it too personal since I don't even know her. I doubt she spent too much time boo-hooing about my comments. And you're a good representative of Cooper? Do you think Coach Borchers is reading BGP and saying "great points this week Hellbird"?

It was sarcasm after we were making comments back and forth yesterday where I told her she always roots for whoever is winning. I think and hope she didn't take it too personal since I don't even know her. I doubt she spent too much time boo-hooing about my comments. And you're a good representative of Cooper? Do you think Coach Borchers is reading BGP and saying "great points this week Hellbird"?

Coming in here and reading this thread for the first time how would anyone take that post as a joke? If it was a joke you may want to make that clear next time. As far as coach Borchers goes, things I've said could never be translated into trashing the team Actually the only ones I've seen trash Cooper have been a couple HHS fans.

I've sat back and watched the last two weeks without comment, trying to just observe. Now I would like to share some observations on where Campbell County is after two games.

By all means the end result of first two games has not been what the Camels would desire on the scoreboard to help out their pride, but to be honest they are practice games. The season is not spiraling out of control, thank you Heisenberg.

I do believe there has been a concerted effort to develop the passing game. Camels are averaging 174 yards / game in the air. At that clip over the regular season, 1740 yards would absolutely demolish their air attack from last year by roughly 1100 yards. The average gain per pass is 10.5 yards, with the longest passes of 44 and 55 yards respectively. The outs and hitches are being completed on a regular basis to a talented bunch of receivers. The receiving corp this year is deeper, faster and taller than the previous three years. Quite honestly the deep ball has not been as successful because of game situations and facing quite a bit of cover 2. The biggest opportunity I see is increasing yards after contact, IE breaking some tackles for some big plays.

In both contests the percentage of plays excluding kicks has been very similar, at a clip of 65 % passing and 35 % running. Last year's team ran into 8 and 9 men in the box and still got yards. I see this loosening up very much. The run to pass % may stay the same or may change, but I do see the way the run and pass are used to complement each other coming together this week. The low yardage totals rushing again are impacted in the first two weeks by game situation.

East Central (biggest key to loss Time of Possession)

Against East Central, the Campbell County offence had 7 possessions with 3 touchdowns, 3 punts, and one turnover. EC's 97 yard third quarter eating touchdown drive forced the play calling to be quick hitting passing plays. The Camels scored quickly and often in the 4th quarter to almost pull it out before the interception just outside the redzone. With a 1:40 left in that game the Camels had a very good chance of scoring and winning that game. East Central's power running produced time of possession dominance which left Campbell County fighting to recover. Four players who started last year back, with many Juniors and Sophomores seeing their very first big time Varsity minutes. Young Offence!

Against East Central the defense struggled to get off the field. Failure to make plays on third down and missed tackles leading to yards after contact left the Camels on the field too long. The Camel defense I believe had 3 starters who saw significant Varsity minutes last year, with again Juniors and Sophomores playing for the first time. Young Defense!

Last years senior class was very heavy leaving new openings to fill across both sides of the ball. The team at this early point in the season is young and mostly inexperienced. Talent looking to gain experience. I don't think this is a surprise revelation from pre-season to now.

Highlands(biggest key to loss-3 Turnovers inside Highlands territory, first half field position, Big Plays)

Three turnovers killed potential scoring opportunities which could have put pressure back on the opponent. The offence moved the ball with out the benefit of closing with points.

The defense defended the pass well, but Highlands found the weak spots in the run defense. Highlands exploited holes created by defenders out of place, and popped off multiple big plays. Too much sudden change scoring.

Friday, I think the Camels find their stride on offence and defense. Young talent takes next step forward. We shall see!

BTW...just another practice game, albeit with some baggage. Many of these boys played together growing up as happens all across NKY, just makes the game a little more spicy.

Good luck to both. GO CAMELS!

Cover 2, what kind of cover 2, soft or read?

220..221 whatever it takes! :up:

soft, team ahead, 15 yard or more depth at snap.

Again, both games I believe unfolded unfavorably for Camels to find offensive rhythm. They will move the ball in both facets of the game, and score points. It'll come together.

220..221 whatever it takes! :up:

soft, team ahead, 15 yard or more depth at snap.

Again, both games I believe unfolded unfavorably for Camels to find offensive rhythm. They will move the ball in both facets of the game, and score points. It'll come together.

Not familiar with the terms 221 or 220, but there are a lot of different terms for the same thing in football...

So the safeties were at 15 yards at the snap and bailing? Wow, I am not sure I have ever seen that type of defense played other than a true prevent. Sounds like Cover 4 but a very soft Cover 4, no wonder the hitches, outs, and curls were there all day. Definitely a time to be patient of offense and take what they give you passing the ball. No doubt you are not going to try any deep balls vs that type of coverage. Should have opened up the run game since the secondary would have a hard time giving any support.

Is this really the defense HHS played or was it EC or both? HHS I know lines up with a two high safety look but not that deep. HHS will run a true cover 2 where the cb slams the wr while reading the #2 wr, cover 2 read where they are pattern matching, some sky and cloud, and they are great at having alley force safeties that come down hill on run plays.

Last year, I felt like the Qb did a pretty darn good job, especially for first year starting and switching over from lb. Appeared to make good decisions and throws the ball well. The problems last year for the passing games were dropped balls and it seemed like there was a lot of them.

The Camels run game has been really good recently and it sounds like the passing game is getting better and better. Campbell County might be on the verge of putting it all together come Districts and play-off time, setting themselves up for a deep run in the post season.That will make NKY 6a that much more fun to watch!!