Newport Central Catholic/Campbell County Predictions

uk#1fan

Who do you think wins this game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think wins this game?

• Newport Catholic
    • Campbell County

Coming in here and reading this thread for the first time how would anyone take that post as a joke? If it was a joke you may want to make that clear next time. As far as coach Borchers goes, things I've said could never be translated into trashing the team Actually the only ones I've seen trash Cooper have been a couple HHS fans.

I took it as a joke and it's my first time reading this thread.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlands played their corners off the ball and did use 2 safeties, though one was never more than 5 yards off the ball. Looked to me that they played a lot of man in the secondary. Would also disagree that Campbell moved the ball and did not score. They had a 28 yard drive to score the first touchdown and other than that really did not move the ball well in the first half. Once the field position flipped after the long punt and then subsequent fumble that Highlands eventually turned into a touchdown, it was pretty much ballgame in the first half. Campbell was starting every drive from that point forward in the first half at their own 20 and did not menace getting the ball near midfield until the last drive of the first half. Looked like Highlands was playing soft in the secondary to avoid giving up a big play before the half. Two long runs by Kendall from less than 50 yards and a late field goal made the score 24-7 at half. Highlands would tack on two more scores before Campbell mounted a good drive to get a score just as the 3rd quarter was nearing a close. By now, HHS had subbed quite a bit to get guys some experience and keep guys healthy. Campbell had another drive real late in game where they had the ball first and goal at the one. They were turned away on the first play, fumbled snap on play 2 moved ball to 3 and then RB fumbled the next carry and HHS recovered.

I would certainly say that Campbell's offense was not a juggernaut, but that is why you play these types of games to get yourself better and to see what things need to be worked on offensively, defensively and on special teams.

Not familiar with the terms 221 or 220, but there are a lot of different terms for the same thing in football...

So the safeties were at 15 yards at the snap and bailing? Wow, I am not sure I have ever seen that type of defense played other than a true prevent. Sounds like Cover 4 but a very soft Cover 4, no wonder the hitches, outs, and curls were there all day. Definitely a time to be patient of offense and take what they give you passing the ball. No doubt you are not going to try any deep balls vs that type of coverage. Should have opened up the run game since the secondary would have a hard time giving any support.

Is this really the defense HHS played or was it EC or both? HHS I know lines up with a two high safety look but not that deep. HHS will run a true cover 2 where the cb slams the wr while reading the #2 wr, cover 2 read where they are pattern matching, some sky and cloud, and they are great at having alley force safeties that come down hill on run plays.

Last year, I felt like the Qb did a pretty darn good job, especially for first year starting and switching over from lb. Appeared to make good decisions and throws the ball well. The problems last year for the passing games were dropped balls and it seemed like there was a lot of them.

The Camels run game has been really good recently and it sounds like the passing game is getting better and better. Campbell County might be on the verge of putting it all together come Districts and play-off time, setting themselves up for a deep run in the post season.That will make NKY 6a that much more fun to watch!!

Many teams play cover 2 with Safeties at 15 yards. That is not uncommon at all, especially if you have fast safeties that can cover ground quickly.

Highlands played their corners off the ball and did use 2 safeties, though one was never more than 5 yards off the ball. Looked to me that they played a lot of man in the secondary. Would also disagree that Campbell moved the ball and did not score. They had a 28 yard drive to score the first touchdown and other than that really did not move the ball well in the first half. Once the field position flipped after the long punt and then subsequent fumble that Highlands eventually turned into a touchdown, it was pretty much ballgame in the first half. Campbell was starting every drive from that point forward in the first half at their own 20 and did not menace getting the ball near midfield until the last drive of the first half. Looked like Highlands was playing soft in the secondary to avoid giving up a big play before the half. Two long runs by Kendall from less than 50 yards and a late field goal made the score 24-7 at half. Highlands would tack on two more scores before Campbell mounted a good drive to get a score just as the 3rd quarter was nearing a close. By now, HHS had subbed quite a bit to get guys some experience and keep guys healthy. Campbell had another drive real late in game where they had the ball first and goal at the one. They were turned away on the first play, fumbled snap on play 2 moved ball to 3 and then RB fumbled the next carry and HHS recovered.

I would certainly say that Campbell's offense was not a juggernaut, but that is why you play these types of games to get yourself better and to see what things need to be worked on offensively, defensively and on special teams.

Thanks for the info!

You obviously see Highlands a lot more than me. When I watch them it seems they usually are playing what many call Cover 2 read, where the cb's don't necessarily jam the wr, they are watching the #2 reciever(slot, te) and reading their routes. When this is done well it very much looks like man! In a sense it is man, they just are waiting for the offense to "show" what routes they are running before committing to the receiver. The way spread teams have gone to the quick bubble screen to try and force defenses to get a man out of the box, does not work against HHS because of how well they "read" it and make 1 on 1 open field tackles. I love watching them play defense because of things like this.

Many teams play cover 2 with Safeties at 15 yards. That is not uncommon at all, especially if you have fast safeties that can cover ground quickly.
I think it is extremely rare for safeties to line up at 15 yards pre-snap. I might be wrong, could you point me in the direction of what teams you have seen doing this.