State Tournament What Ifs

Rez

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a Covington Catholic fan, there are a lot of “what ifs” for the state tournament:

1967: What If CCH could have gotten the rebound from the missed shot in the 1967 State Championship game against Earlington? For those of you that aren’t familiar with the play, check out this link (and old school video):

2004: What if the officials would have called a 10 second backcourt violation against Warren Central in the state semifinals? As I recall, Warren Central took the ball out of bounds with 50 seconds to go (coming out of a timeout). CCH is pressing. Warren Central, still with the ball in the backcourt, calls timeout and clearly 10+ seconds had elapsed from the game clock. What if the officials would have called a 10-second violation & given the ball back to CCH? (There are a couple other “what ifs” in that game, too).

2006: What if Coach Mike Listerman does NOT call a timeout in the 1st round against Apollo seconds before Kurt Bovard drills a long 3? CCH came out of the timeout, failed to score & never recovered.

As a Covington Catholic fan, there are a lot of “what ifs” for the state tournament:

1967: What If CCH could have gotten the rebound from the missed shot in the 1967 State Championship game against Earlington? For those of you that aren’t familiar with the play, check out this link (and old school video):

2004: What if the officials would have called a 10 second backcourt violation against Warren Central in the state semifinals? As I recall, Warren Central took the ball out of bounds with 50 seconds to go (coming out of a timeout). CCH is pressing. Warren Central, still with the ball in the backcourt, calls timeout and clearly 10+ seconds had elapsed from the game clock. What if the officials would have called a 10-second violation & given the ball back to CCH? (There are a couple other “what ifs” in that game, too).

2006: What if Coach Mike Listerman does NOT call a timeout in the 1st round against Apollo seconds before Kurt Bovard drills a long 3? CCH came out of the timeout, failed to score & never recovered.

I think there is some merit in the CovCath/Warren Central what if. I don't have a copy of that game anymore, but I do remember it that way. I looked up the play by play and they have it as 50 seconds inbound, 40 seconds time out. Central led by three at the time. Ironically, CovCath got a chance with the ball and the same margin, 20 seconds later. They couldn't handle the inbounds, turning back over and Central sealed the game.

I remember this and often wondered if anybody else did.

What an unfortunate mishap that Coach L of course had no way of knowing that it would happen like that. Was an important moment with the Colonels severely needing to gain momentum, and that surly would've done it, but because it didn't count, the momentum changed the other way around.

I think that Apollo ended up in the finals that year when nobody expected them to.

I think there is some merit in the CovCath/Warren Central what if. I don't have a copy of that game anymore, but I do remember it that way. I looked up the play by play and they have it as 50 seconds inbound, 40 seconds time out. Central led by three at the time. Ironically, CovCath got a chance with the ball and the same margin, 20 seconds later. They couldn't handle the inbounds, turning back over and Central sealed the game.

As I recall, the ball was inounded with 50.0 and when WC called timeout the clock showed 39.8. Tough no call but you can easily see how it happens.

The turnover you alluded to is another one of those "what if" moments I alluded to. :D

As I recall, the ball was inounded with 50.0 and when WC called timeout the clock showed 39.8. Tough no call but you can easily see how it happens.

The turnover you alluded to is another one of those "what if" moments I alluded to. :D

I stand corrected, I do have the film (wasn't my own). The clock was indeed exactly 50 seconds. And just as the clock ticks under 41 seconds (roughly 40.8), you hear the whistle. You can see the clock above the goal (the shot clock one) continue until stopping at what looks like 39.2 seconds (it's very hard to make out). When they come back out, they've set the clock for 40.4 seconds. So not incorrect after all. Like I said, I actually remembered it same as you, and would have no idea when the whistle blew as I was merely a spectator. I don't blame anyone who felt like they saw what they saw, but on tape, it is clear.

I also had forgotten that right before Dewalt's dunk (and subsequent free throw) that made it a 6 point game, a CovCath player stepped on the baseline as he was hitting a basket that would have cut it to 1. I know your feelings on the dunk (:D), but in that context, wow what a swing.

What if Covcath had to beat a Holmes team WITH Greg Rice in the finals just to get to the state tournament? Is your scenario even a "what if?" :D

I don't know this story...

As I remember it - Toward the end of the Mason County v Shelby County match, a Shelby County player committed a HARD foul on Russ Middleton, may have been a flagrant, and that Shelby County player may have been ejected himself. Setty, who was out of the game at the time, left the bench and got in the Shelby Co player's face for hurting his teammate. Because he left the bench, the decision on the floor was the he would be suspended for the next game. Then I believe the Mason County administration was able to appeal at almost breakneck pace, and Setty was permitted to play in the finals. Now, I'm not sure it would have made a difference, Holmes were a bunch of Sophomores making their first trip to Rupp. Mason had the best player in the State, one of the best in the country, along with a support staff of experienced, talented guys (middleton, king, downing, barner, etc.) and all of them had been to Rupp 3 out of the 4 years they'd been in High School. It's still interesting to think about.

As I remember it - Toward the end of the Mason County v Shelby County match, a Shelby County player committed a HARD foul on Russ Middleton, may have been a flagrant, and that Shelby County player may have been ejected himself. Setty, who was out of the game at the time, left the bench and got in the Shelby Co player's face for hurting his teammate. Because he left the bench, the decision on the floor was the he would be suspended for the next game. Then I believe the Mason County administration was able to appeal at almost breakneck pace, and Setty was permitted to play in the finals. Now, I'm not sure it would have made a difference, Holmes were a bunch of Sophomores making their first trip to Rupp. Mason had the best player in the State, one of the best in the country, along with a support staff of experienced, talented guys (middleton, king, downing, barner, etc.) and all of them had been to Rupp 3 out of the 4 years they'd been in High School. It's still interesting to think about.

That was a veteran team. Ricardo, JJ, and Elijah may have been sophomores but they had plenty of experience on that team with seniors Braeon Avery, Arrez Henderson (4 year starter), and Terrence Clark. All three played a lot as juniors on the team led by Hill, Jefferson, and Rice that lost to Scott Co in the state semi's.

That team also featured juniors Jamel Riley and Dom Johnson who were starters on the state championship team the following year. They were loaded with depth.