State Tournament What Ifs

Rez

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mason Co faithful won't like this but what if Mike Schmidt doesn't get hurt and sit out the entire 2nd half with a twisted knee in the first round of the 03 state tournament?

Mason Co had no answer for him. Myrick gets away with a walk on a deflection on St Hank's last possession to preserve the 59-57 win.

Still think St Henry wins that game and the state title if Schmidt stays healthy.

Myrick got a hand on a pass by Crusaders senior Matt Fabiani to classmate Matt Otte at the top of the key and knocked it into Mason County's end. He retrieved the ball and held on to preserve the win.

"I know I walked," said Myrick, whose had six points, five below his average, but also had five steals. "I got away with one there."

"I just thought he walked," said Otte, who rolled his arms in a plea for the call. "I was biased, I guess, but it's too late, now.

.......The Crusaders led 28-24 at the half, after shooting 47.8 percent from the field (11-for-23), including 5-of-6 from center Michael Schmidt. His last two of 13 first-half points came as he fell to the floor and suffered a twisted left knee.

"(Schmidt's) a terrific player," Wells said. "We had a ton of trouble matching up with him. It's a shame he has to play so well all season and then get hurt in a game like that.

Mason Co faithful won't like this but what if Mike Schmidt doesn't get hurt and sit out the entire 2nd half with a twisted knee in the first round of the 03 state tournament?

Mason Co had no answer for him. Myrick gets away with a walk on a deflection on St Hank's last possession to preserve the 59-57 win.

Still think St Henry wins that game and the state title if Schmidt stays healthy.

Myrick got a hand on a pass by Crusaders senior Matt Fabiani to classmate Matt Otte at the top of the key and knocked it into Mason County's end. He retrieved the ball and held on to preserve the win.

"I know I walked," said Myrick, whose had six points, five below his average, but also had five steals. "I got away with one there."

"I just thought he walked," said Otte, who rolled his arms in a plea for the call. "I was biased, I guess, but it's too late, now.

.......The Crusaders led 28-24 at the half, after shooting 47.8 percent from the field (11-for-23), including 5-of-6 from center Michael Schmidt. His last two of 13 first-half points came as he fell to the floor and suffered a twisted left knee.

"(Schmidt's) a terrific player," Wells said. "We had a ton of trouble matching up with him. It's a shame he has to play so well all season and then get hurt in a game like that.

I had such high hopes for that Crusader bunch as did everyone else in the 9th, and what a blow it was to see Schmidt go down. :(

The missed walk call just added insult to injury.

Nonetheless, what a solid smart and talented team, and a magnificent season. Definitely one of my top favorites in the history of the 9th.

I had such high hopes for that Crusader bunch as did everyone else in the 9th, and what a blow it was to see Schmidt go down. :(

The missed walk call just added insult to injury.

Nonetheless, what a solid smart and talented team, and a magnificent season. Definitely one of my top favorites in the history of the 9th.

Were OJ Mayo and Bill Walker still at Rose Hill Christian in 03 when St Henry beat them by 20 in the All A State Finals?

Were OJ Mayo and Bill Walker still at Rose Hill Christian in 03 when St Henry beat them by 20 in the All A State Finals?

Yes... Rose Hill had dismal seasons every year before, and after those two phenoms played there, and 2003 was also the year that Rose Hill made it to the Sweet 16 where Mayo as an 8th grader dunked the ball during the first round game against South Laurel.

They went on to lose in the 2nd round to Ballard, who eventually lost to Mason County in the finals by 21.

Mason Co. defeated Oldham Co. in the quarterfinals by 13, and Hopkinsville in the semis by 12.

Really think that St. Henry would've finished out the tourney with the same success if not for the unfortunate mishaps.

I recall the following season seeing Mayo as a 9th grader for North College Hill and Billy Walker play at Regents Hall at NKU against Highlands. The game had to be moved there because of the high interest in the game, and Highlands not being able to hold that many people in their gym.

Two season later as a junior there was also a big showcase at the U.S Bank arena with NCH (Mayo & Walker) going up against Oak Hill Academy in the main event game(and losing if I remember correctly), and is was the largest crowd ever to attend a high school basketball game in Cincinnati at 16,202.

Yes... Rose Hill had dismal seasons every year before, and after those two phenoms played there

Actually they had some very good teams in the later part of that decade, especially with Chad Jackson and Dakota Euton.

They beat a great Elliott Co team in the 16th Region All-A in 08, and made the Semifinals of the state All-A.

Actually they had some very good teams in the later part of that decade, especially with Chad Jackson and Dakota Euton.

They beat a great Elliott Co team in the 16th Region All-A in 08, and made the Semifinals of the state All-A.

Wow you're right. I thought that when those two left that the cupboard was bare, but you prompted me to look, and after the first dismal year after they left they ended up have 4 more respectable to good years following. That's interesting because I never knew that Dakotah Euton played there before playing at Scott Co.

Walker left the team and school just prior to the All-A state tournament.

He had played in the All-A region.

Perhaps someone from Highlands would remember, but when NCH and Mayo played them Recents Hall at NKU, the timing would've had Billy Walker on NCH's team at that time, but my memory doesn't recall actually seeing him play in that game.

I do recall seeing him play in the game at U.S. Bank Arena as a junior against Oak Hill Academy.

Come to think of it I'm not certain that he played in the Sweet 16 as an 8th grader either, and by what Rez said is that he was gone before the All-A State Tourney that season.

Yes St. Henry wins that game, but no they wouldn't have won the state championship.

What are the biggest what-ifs in the state tournament?

From the 10th region thread:

That might not have mattered if:

Both William Graham and Demetrius Green played in the post season for Lexington Catholic.

-I say LexCath was the best team in the state likely wins their second state title in 3 years. LexCath and Mason Co had played two tremendous games during the regular season, splitting them. Had they played at full strength in the state semifinals, I think it would have probably been the most hyped game in a quarter century.

If Lex Cath would've gotten out of the region, they would've had their hands full with Scott County in the 1st game.

If Lex Cath would've gotten out of the region, they would've had their hands full with Scott County in the 1st game.

LexCath had already beaten Scott Co at Scott Co late in the regular season.

That doesn't guarantee they would have won the next time out, but I find it very likely they would have.