State Tournament What Ifs

Rez

What are the biggest what-ifs in the state tournament?

From the 10th region thread:

What if Wes Jones played for Mason Co in the 2004 State Tournament?

-I say Warren Central still wins, but the state finals is pretty close to a toss-up. It clearly would have helped Mason Co, but I just don't think they matched up very well with Warren Central.

That might not have mattered if:

Both William Graham and Demetrius Green played in the post season for Lexington Catholic.

-I say LexCath was the best team in the state likely wins their second state title in 3 years. LexCath and Mason Co had played two tremendous games during the regular season, splitting them. Had they played at full strength in the state semifinals, I think it would have probably been the most hyped game in a quarter century.

What if Todd Tackett doesn't get hurt in the 1998 State Finals against Scott Co?

-I say Scott Co probably still wins the title, but I go back and forth on this one.

What if Marquis Estill is full strength against Scott Co in the 1999 State Quarterfinals?

-I say Scott Co still wins that game, but the game would have lived up to its hype.

What if Bud Mackey played his senior season at Scott Co in 2008?

-I say Scott Co is by far the best team in the state and probably makes the state tournament, but doesn't win the state title. It's just too hard to repeat.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are the biggest what-ifs in the state tournament?

From the 10th region thread:

What if Wes Jones played for Mason Co in the 2004 State Tournament?

-I say Warren Central still wins, but the state finals is pretty close to a toss-up. It clearly would have helped Mason Co, but I just don't think they matched up very well with Warren Central.

That might not have mattered if:

Both William Graham and Demetrius Green played in the post season for Lexington Catholic.

-I say LexCath was the best team in the state likely wins their second state title in 3 years. LexCath and Mason Co had played two tremendous games during the regular season, splitting them. Had they played at full strength in the state semifinals, I think it would have probably been the most hyped game in a quarter century.

What if Todd Tackett doesn't get hurt in the 1998 State Finals against Scott Co?

-I say Scott Co probably still wins the title, but I go back and forth on this one.

What if Marquis Estill is full strength against Scott Co in the 1999 State Quarterfinals?

-I say Scott Co still wins that game, but the game would have lived up to its hype.

What if Bud Mackey played his senior season at Scott Co in 2008?

-I say Scott Co is by far the best team in the state and probably makes the state tournament, but doesn't win the state title. It's just too hard to repeat.

No lie, I opened this thread knowing this would be the first one I read despite not having read the 10th Region thread.

Why is this even a topic?

"What if" you didn't start this thread?

I think "what ifs" are a very entertaining topic of conversation in the sports world.

I started this thread because one of these scenarios was being discussed in an unrelated thread about 10th region teams and players.

I don't mean to upset anyone with my questions and comments, just thought it would be interesting to hear other folk's thoughts.

I think "what ifs" are a very entertaining topic of conversation in the sports world.

I started this thread because one of these scenarios was being discussed in an unrelated thread about 10th region teams and players.

I don't mean to upset anyone with my questions and comments, just thought it would be interesting to hear other folk's thoughts.

Discussing such things on a high school sports message board. What could you have been thinking!

:lol2:

I know. Just having a little fun. "What if" I hadn't responded? LOL

I'm intrigued by the 3rd place game.

What if there wasn't a third place game, would King Kelly's legend be as big as it is today?

Conversely, what if there was still a 3rd place game, are there any fantastic match-ups or potential performances we missed out on?

What if the refs had simply just gotten it right?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51812[/ATTACH]

Anyone have video clip of this? From the picture I just don't see how refs could miss this call. But in real time, maybe it's not so obvious. I have never seen the play.

What game was this from? Backstory?

1978 Sweet 16 - Holmes/Shelby County Championship game.

Shelby County won 68-66 in overtime.

Doug Schloemer for Holmes was Mr. Basketball, and went on to play at the University of Cincinnati.

Charles Hurt (the player goaltending) went on to play for UK.

This play happened at a crucial time near the end of the game. I forget exactly if it was at the end of regulation play, or the end of the overtime period.

If at the end of regulation, Holmes would've won without game going into overtime.

If at the end of the overtime period, game would've been sent into double overtime.