Columbia House files for bankruptcy

Like many others, this is where I built my music collection. I got a lot of stuff for a little money from them, so all was good.

Can't believe they were still in business. I hadn't even thought of them in years. Most every kid I knew joined at least once. Beat the heck out of paying mall prices.

Amazing how technology has changed the music industry in the last 15 years. I'll probably never buy another actual CD again.

Wait a minute, they still have a NET revenue of 17 million, and they're filing bankruptcy?

Chapter 11, which is structured reorganization, as opposed to Chapter 7, full liquidation.

They'll auction off whatever they can to pay debts but the parent company will retain control of the company and do whatever it is they plan to do with it once they emerge from bankruptcy. They'll likely wind it down, but it gives them a few more options as they go through the process.

While they might be seeing that in revenue, given their sharp decline in recent years, the notion that their debts exceed their ability to pay isn't surprising.