Pure Prospects Top 33 2017 Class

No particular disrespect to this fellow. I'm sure he tries. But these player rankings just generally aren't very good. Very difficult to do and get right, yet more and more guys seem to be coming out of the woodwork as the next expert.

Just curious. What's this guy's resume as it relates to basketball? Do you know PP?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark Francis was the original (at least National) talent scout from this area and he has stood the test of time. I heard him speak to kids at a camp and the first thing he tells them is he never played basketball and if you saw Clark then you would know why he said that. Now much older he is a shorter, hefty guy that nobody will mistake as a former player.

I am sure some of the talent scouts love basketball and get into the scouting game as it becomes perhaps their only avenue to make a living in a game they have passion for or at least have some significance around the game. I make that observation because many scouts never were players. Coaches generally have a playing background, but I wonder if the lack of any playing background hurts or helps the scouting aspect. There generally is not any qualification to be a scout of talent except hard work following the basketball circuit and an ability to write or post observations.

That said, I put little time or concern in player rankings. I appreciate the kids who fall in love with the process of getting better. I think getting caught up in rankings is a bad thing for player development. It seems parents and other adults seem way to caught up in whether their kid is high on a list and it means literally nothing in recruiting. College coaches do their own observations, not rely on local scouts.

I think it is fair if he admits he hasn't seen them. As soon as he makes a list that he is guessing where people should be ranked he'll be asked if he has seen such and such play. As soon as he says he hasn't seen them play then the list still gets called into question.

If they played in the tourneys he helps promote they could "get the exposure you deserve".

His rankings are biased towards those who pay for "recruiting profiles" on his site. Paying $50 for a profile can get you ranked in the top 15 in your class.

I can appreciate shining the light on what could very well be a practice of this site or even others, when it all comes down to it the desire to make money trumps being unbiased in this basketball business. The money part of basketball business creates a multitude of "shadiness".

With that said, many kids do not pay the $50 and get ranked also. I suspect to merit any credibility the top players that are consensus Top 10 guys are going to crack everyone's list. All the more reason for kids to not justify their basketball worthiness from rankings.

Austin Combs 6'1" Knott County Central will be the best player in the 14th region this year. He has Damon Tobler rated 15th from the 14th region way too high and he might be 6'1" not close to 6'4".

Damon probably is not 6'4", but he is closer to 6'3" than 6'1". He also jumps out of the gym and plays much bigger than his size. Whose better and who should be ranked higher really is just an opinion for one's self. Is it certain that Damon has started school at PCC this year?

Sean Mcneil is a top 10 player in the state. Argument can be made for Sean or CVH being the best player in the 9th this year.

Disagree. Two different type of players. CVH is just a better all around player than McNeil. Don't get me wrong, McNeil is a very nice player. Just my opinion.