Pure Prospects Top 33 2017 Class

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to rank players is to go region by region and let the high school coaches vote. That's about the best way you could do it, although that is flawed as well and subjective.

Very true. At the same time I respect him making it clear that he is only ranking who has seen instead of spitballing and throwing folks wherever for the sake of looking good. As time goes on the rankings will become more accurate. I love his hustle.

The best way to rank players is to go region by region and let the high school coaches vote. That's about the best way you could do it, although that is flawed as well and subjective.

Thats how a few regions do it for the Cats Pause. I know the 15th and 12th Regions let coaches vote on top 10 teams and top 10 players. The 15th Region Coaches Association meets and allows all coaches to nominate any of their own players to be voted on. From the nominations list, each coach is asked to rank the players 1 through 10 but cannot vote for their own players. If a player gets a 1 ranking then that player gets 10 quality points, 2 ranking 9 quality points, 3 ranking 8 quality points and so on. The top 10 come from total quality points. This is done by secret ballot (meaning no coach gets to see how another coach voted), then tallied by the recorder (who is not a coach). Coaches names are on the ballot to ensure their own players were not voted for.

Teams are done in a similar manner. A list of all 15th Region Schools is given to each coach. They are asked to rank their top 10 teams with the aforementioned quality point assignment (again not allowed to vote for your own team). The top 10 teams in quality points get listed in their respective order.

This, as all ranking services, is not without biasness but does give quality insight as to who the coaches think make the biggest difference in their region night in and night out.

Having said this, I think Pure Prospects works very hard at seeing as many kids as possible and giving an honest opinion about what they have seen.

Edited by 15th Region

In the few AAU sightings I've been to this Summer three names stick out to me.

Taveion Hollingsworth, Cole V, and Austin Crawford.

All three players can take over a game and make huge impacts for their teams.

Austin Crawford with the Big Shots MVP playing up into 17U. In the one game I seen him in Nationals I was impressed with the athleticism he brings to the floor.

While I appreciate the work that someone may have put in to creating a prospect/ranking list, is it really fair to call it a KY list if they haven't seen the best players from an area like nky? Kentucky is not that populated, there are basically 4-5 population centers, Louisville, Lexinton, nky and bowling green. If you haven't seen a majority of kids from those four areas of the state how could there be any qualification for calling it a KY list? In addition to Sean, JC, Austin and Jake not even being on the list, what about Cole Hegyi (Campbell) and Luke Moeves (NCC)? They should at least be knocking on the door of a list like this.

While I appreciate the work that someone may have put in to creating a prospect/ranking list, is it really fair to call it a KY list if they haven't seen the best players from an area like nky? Kentucky is not that populated, there are basically 4-5 population centers, Louisville, Lexinton, nky and bowling green. If you haven't seen a majority of kids from those four areas of the state how could there be any qualification for calling it a KY list? In addition to Sean, JC, Austin and Jake not even being on the list, what about Cole Hegyi (Campbell) and Luke Moeves (NCC)? They should at least be knocking on the door of a list like this.

You've neglected Owensboro, Hopkinsville and Paducah from your list. Owensboro has had 3 high major players in the last 2 years in Eli Wright, Aric Holman and Trace Young. Ben Moss at Apollo has D1 offers and Stewart Currie of Daviess County could be D1 in basketball. Marshall Griffith just enrolled at one of the best jucos in the country also and will be D1 when all is said and done.

Paducah Tilghman has one of the top 2018 kids (JJ Reed) and 2019 kids (Rodriguez Thomas) in the state.

Hopkinsville has Jaylen Sebree, CJ Henagan, Jalen Johnson, Shorty Cager, Tray Hollowell and some of the best 2019 kids in the state.

Kentucky right now has more talent than at almost any time in the last 15+ years. To truly cover the whole state, someone would have to put some serious work in and log a lot of miles.

I think some of the NKY kids aren't necessarily seen as much in state because they play AAU in Ohio or with a program like Shining Stars that isn't as big in parts of the state outside of NKY.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree.

I think it is fair if he admits he hasn't seen them. As soon as he makes a list that he is guessing where people should be ranked he'll be asked if he has seen such and such play. As soon as he says he hasn't seen them play then the list still gets called into question.

Good NKY players...not among the best in the state. And that's not a knock on either. As stated multiple times, there is more talent in KY right now than we've seen in a long time.

Anthony Nelson from Cordia is easily a top 5 player in the state his true position is point guard. He is a legit 6'4" that measure was taken at east Tennessee state team camp. He already has a offer from ETSU,lipscomb UNC ashville, and several other mid major schools. Day before yesterday Illinois head coach John Groce called him at home and said he wanted to start the recruiting process. He is legit.