Who are your 3 favorite authors

Randy Parker

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might have to check this out. I assume the title in the second book refers to the philosopher?

No it refers to an actual pendulum designed by the physicist Leon Foucault, not Michel. Foucault used it to demonstrate the rotation of the earth.

I've referred to that book before as the one Dan Brown wishes he was talented enough to write. A great book featuring innumerable references to secret societies, conspiracy theories, Kabbalah, medieval alchemy, etc.

Here's a chapter from DFW's The Pale King about a youngish couple discussing pregnancy and abortion without ever using those words. I think it's particularly affective piece of fiction writing that never pounds you over the head.

Good People - The New Yorker

Ever read the Hemingway short story "Hills Like White Elephants"? First thing I thought of in reading your description. The couple talks about it without ever actually talking about it. Great story.

No it refers to an actual pendulum designed by the physicist Leon Foucault, not Michel. Foucault used it to demonstrate the rotation of the earth.

I've referred to that book before as the one Dan Brown wishes he was talented enough to write. A great book featuring innumerable references to secret societies, conspiracy theories, Kabbalah, medieval alchemy, etc.

Ah. Still sounds pretty good, it's on my list. It might be my next fiction book after I finish The Cartel.

Ever read the Hemingway short story "Hills Like White Elephants"? First thing I thought of in reading your description. The couple talks about it without ever actually talking about it. Great story.

I have not. I'm woefully under-read when it comes to Hemingway.

I have not. I'm woefully under-read when it comes to Hemingway.

A lot of people think his stuff reads a little out of touch in this century. I can't fault them I suppose, but I'm not one of those people. Eternally grateful to a college professor obsessed with Hemingway for really getting me into his writing.

1. Brandon Sanderson, best current fantasy author out there

2. Tolkien, really the original fantasy author

3. Terry Pratchett

I think that LOTR is still the best thing out there. I re-read it every couple of years. But I never did get too much out of the rest of the stuff he wrote.