Study Names Kentucky School System Number 5 In The Country

Godot

A study from WalletHub has named Kentucky's public school system among the best in the nation.

According to a press release from WalletHub, the study compared the quality of education in the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia by analyzing 13 key metrics. Our data set includes such metrics as the pupil-teacher ratio, dropout rates, standardized-test scores and bullying incidents rates.

The results are as follows:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]States with the Best School Systems[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]Massachusetts[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]Colorado[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]New Jersey[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]Wisconsin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Kentucky[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Vermont[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]North Dakota[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]Minnesota[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]Connecticut[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Illinois[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I haven't looked at this particular study and it's metrics, but WalletHub has a history of creating some odd lists with some very debatable metrics from other lists I have seen them do.

But if this is anywhere near accurate, that's a good thing.

Kentucky catches a lot of flack because of the stereotype of the "ignorant redneck," but I think education has been a priority here more than people are willing to concede. I joke with a lot of people that "I went to public school in Kentucky, you're lucky I know how to read," but the reality is I came out pretty well.

Kentucky catches a lot of flack because of the stereotype of the "ignorant redneck," but I think education has been a priority here more than people are willing to concede. I joke with a lot of people that "I went to public school in Kentucky, you're lucky I know how to read," but the reality is I came out pretty well.

I get the KY redneck jokes too when I'm home with friends. But as you say, all my kids have been educated here in KY public schools, and I'm very pleased with the education they've received. I've now got two in college and I feel like they were well prepared for college and beyond. So much of education is the effort you put into it, and how involved the parents are. You can't rely on the school system to do everything for your kids.

I get the KY redneck jokes too when I'm home with friends. But as you say, all my kids have been educated here in KY public schools, and I'm very pleased with the education they've received. I've now got two in college and I feel like they were well prepared for college and beyond. So much of education is the effort you put into it, and how involved the parents are. You can't rely on the school system to do everything for your kids.

No doubt about that and that's certainly a caveat to my post. If you're willing to put in the effort I think there's opportunity for the taking in Kentucky re: education.

No doubt about that and that's certainly a caveat to my post. If you're willing to put in the effort I think there's opportunity for the taking in Kentucky re: education.

Throw in two major, well respected Universities and many very good smaller colleges, along with the KEES system, for Kentuckians, going to college instate, represents one of the better values in college education today.

This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this and this.