Where will Ron "Blume" at next?

What some people don't understand is that college coaches, when recruiting players, don't pay much attention to stats. In the case of a running back, they look at size, speed, strength and running style (power or shiftiness or some combination thereof) ... things that don't always show up in numbers.

All great high school backs put up great numbers. Just because one back has better stats than another doesn't mean he's a better prospect.

That goes for most all football positions, not just runningback. The only exception may be QB. Even then it isnt always the kid with the most impressive stats.

Stats are an indicator of a great HS player.... but stats will only get a player noticed. They better have the size, speed, strength, etc in order to actually get in the door and maybe get a scholly.

Ppl have to also remember that stats can be padded. They can also be skewed based on competition. Rushing for 200+ yards against Jenkins and rushing for 200+ yards against St. X is two totally different things.

Ppl tend to forget the level of competition the stats may have come against, and they only focus on the eye popping numbers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post UKbellco14 - very well thought out, great advice.

My graduating senior had to deal with these issues this winter and spring. My son came to pretty much the same conclusion on his own. I was proud of him for thinking so clearly.

I don't think whether Blume makes an impact on the football field, where ever he goes, is that important. Nor do I think if he had ended up at UK, or some other Div1 school, and saw little to no PT really matters either.

I think any kid who is considering college football as an option to further their academic and athletic career needs to realize one thing. Football will eventually end, and it's most likely going to end after college.

Therefore, any kid who is considering college football as an option to further their academic and athletic career should do the following 2 things:

1.) Go to college where you can get the best education possible, as well as meet the most contacts possible; your education and contacts, not your football career, will get you a successful, stable career!

2.) Go to the college that is willing to pay for that education so when you get out of school you, or your family, isn't thousands of dollars in debt!

I don't care if a kid is Div1 or not.... these are the things that matter. Unless the kid is a top 100 HS recruit with actual pro potential, where he goes to play college football probably isn't going to matter in the long run, except for the two above mentioned realizations.

Listen to these stats:

The chance of an NCAA Division 1A college football player getting drafted is .01 percent.

Add all other college football divisions (Div1AA, D2, D3, NAIA) and it gets tougher because their are more players competing for the same 255 draft slots (the number of picks in this years draft).

Now consider the fact that only about 1/2 of those players drafted will actually make the team and earn a spot on the final roster.

What about free agents? For the players who don't get drafted, but actually come on as free agents, it doesn't get much better. Just a little over 1% of free agents actually make a career out of the NFL.

The average career of an NFL player lasts only 3.5 years.

The median NFL salary is around $500,000.... which sounds like alot, but not when it only lasts 3.5 years and you blow most of it because you are living the life of MTV's "Cribs." 1.75 million dollars is a lot of money, but unless managed properly, isn't near enough to sustain someone for a lifetime, especially if they have a family and are living the "luxurious life."

I did not use average salary because those numbers are skewed due to the inflated salaries of superstars. The average NFL salary is actually 1.5 million, however, only 19% of NFL players actually make over 1 million dollars.

A career in the NFL provides very little security. If you don't perform... you are replaced. If you get hurt... you are replaced. If someone in the organization doesn't like you... you are replaced. There goes the money. And so on and so on and so forth.

Think the NFL life is glorious? Most NFL players retire from the NFL with little to no money, divorced, jobless, and their bodies are literally destroyed. Many are addicted to drugs, alchohol, or some other substance.

Unless you have a real shot at being an NFL franchise player (which is even more unlikely then just getting to the NFL), with the ability to market your name after life in the NFL (endorsement deals, sports anchors, etc), then you better have a plan outside of football.... and that plan better involve a free college degree and getting to know ppl "in the know."

Now consider these stats:

In Colorado there were 3,481 male high school seniors who played football during the 1994 season. Of these, 31 received full scholarships at Division I-A schools (0.0089 percent). There are just over 10,000 full scholarships available for Div1A football. There are well over a million highschool football players. You do the math. As a high school football player you have little chance of receiving a full-ride football scholly.

Anyone who can earn a Division1A scholarship is to be especially commended! Anyone who can earn a college football scholarship, period, is to be commended!

Having said all that.....Congrats Mr. Blume, where ever he goes on to continue his collegiate athletic and academic career!

I total agree!

Personally I feel Blume was the best RB that I have seen in Eastern Ky in the past 10 yrs. But I only saw him play in 2 games.

I also remember everyone laughing at the fact of Arliss Beach getting a chance to play DI also. He had a great DI career barring injuries and will now have a chance with the Green Bay Packers.

In my eyes from what I saw, Blume was better than Beach, but his size might have hurt him.

Plus, just think what might have happen to Blume, if given the same chance as Beach....Sometimes all it takes is a Chance!

Here let me see if I could go back in my notes here and right down all of the names......NOT!:D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Blume was a good back, but he was no Beach.

I and really don't recall anyone doubting Beach's ability either, in fact, he signed with UK before his senior year if my memory serves me correctly.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Blume was a good back, but he was no Beach.

I and really don't recall anyone doubting Beach's ability either, in fact, he signed with UK before his senior year if my memory serves me correctly.

That is correct, he committed the summer before his senior year. He also had offers from Bowling Green and Ohio.

Personally I feel Blume was the best RB that I have seen in Eastern Ky in the past 10 yrs. But I only saw him play in 2 games.

I also remember everyone laughing at the fact of Arliss Beach getting a chance to play DI also. He had a great DI career barring injuries and will now have a chance with the Green Bay Packers.

In my eyes from what I saw, Blume was better than Beach, but his size might have hurt him.

Plus, just think what might have happen to Blume, if given the same chance as Beach....Sometimes all it takes is a Chance!

Like iPapi said, Blume was a VERY talented RB, but he was no Arliss Beach, and I am not saying that just because of me being an Ashland fan.

I hope that was a joke? Blume will never be as good a Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

If Beach is so good then why dont with him and David Jones rule the d1 level of college play. Look at the numbers the three put up in High school. If Blume had the size of Arliss and David then there would not ever be a contest .So with Blume being A whole lot smaller I think that he is Better than Beach.

If Beach is so good then why dont with him and David Jones rule the d1 level of college play. Look at the numbers the three put up in High school. If Blume had the size of Arliss and David then there would not ever be a contest .So with Blume being A whole lot smaller I think that he is Better than Beach.

I don't think Blume is much smaller than Jones was in HS unless I am mistaken.

And having seen them both play, I really liked Blume, .. but Arliss was better.