Where will Ron "Blume" at next?

If Beach is so good then why dont with him and David Jones rule the d1 level of college play. Look at the numbers the three put up in High school. If Blume had the size of Arliss and David then there would not ever be a contest .So with Blume being A whole lot smaller I think that he is Better than Beach.

I sense you are not familiar with the number of injuries Beach fought through?

and there was that issue of coaching that a few questioned;) ;)

Also, Arliss has done the book work:thumb:

For a kid to go to college he has to be academically suited for that institution as well. I have no idea how/where Blume fits in.

Woody Jr

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Blume is much smaller than Jones was in HS unless I am mistaken.

And having seen them both play, I really liked Blume, .. but Arliss was better.

Funny you mention that......Blume isn't as big as Jones, or as fast as Jones, and he wasn't near as good as Jones.

He was a very good high school back, but he isn't in the same leagues as Beach, Jones, and a few more I can think of.

If Beach is so good then why dont with him and David Jones rule the d1 level of college play. Look at the numbers the three put up in High school. If Blume had the size of Arliss and David then there would not ever be a contest .So with Blume being A whole lot smaller I think that he is Better than Beach.
Well when he gets as big as ether of them get back to me then we can talk.:irked:

The thread was supposed to be about Blume and where he was going to college. However, instead of discussing that, it went downhill from the 7th post on when some started to take shots at those who believed that Blume was D1 caliber. Then comparing him to other backs and adding comments like 'he isn't in the same league with _______'. I guess I was wrong in expecting a little more class, especially when we are talking about kids.

Good luck to you Ron, wherever you end up. Enjoy your time in college and playing the game you love. You had a great HS career that you should be proud of.

The thread was supposed to be about Blume and where he was going to college. However, instead of discussing that, it went downhill from the 7th post on when some started to take shots at those who believed that Blume was D1 caliber. Then comparing him to other backs and adding comments like 'he isn't in the same league with _______'. I guess I was wrong in expecting a little more class, especially when we are talking about kids.

Good luck to you Ron, wherever you end up. Enjoy your time in college and playing the game you love. You had a great HS career that you should be proud of.

:thumb: :thumb:

Nice post MT

I agree with you intent though I feel & hope that most dont intend to take shots at a kid. This sort of thread ? just begs for a digression like what you mention. I TRY not to make any personal comment about a HS'er and instead focus on specifics but that is a grey area which folks can interpret differently.

Cheers, Woody Jr

:thumb: :thumb:

Nice post MT

I agree with you intent though I feel & hope that most dont intend to take shots at a kid. This sort of thread ? just begs for a digression like what you mention. I TRY not to make any personal comment about a HS'er and instead focus on specifics but that is a grey area which folks can interpret differently.

Cheers, Woody Jr

You da man Woody!!! :thumb:

According to the Johnson Central people, he was a "Division 1" player. What happened?

I guess the college recruiters don't know what they are doing or they were biased in their opinion of Blume.;)

First of all, as a JC fan I think most of us were hoping he would get looks from D1 colleges. I don't recall any JC fans on here guaranteeing him going to D1. We may have said he had the numbers and we hoped he would get the chance, but we didn't say he was a definite D1. You seem to have some problems with JC, what's up with that?

I know I have always held the opinion that he simply didn't have the size for D1.

I don't think Blume is much smaller than Jones was in HS unless I am mistaken.

And having seen them both play, I really liked Blume, .. but Arliss was better.

Actually Jones probably has 30 to 40 pounds on Blume. Blume is a small guy, if you've never seen him out of the pads it's hard to tell, but he is SMALL. I have seen Jones out of the pads and standing beside Blume, he has quite a bit of size on Ron.

• 4 weeks later...

Very good post. What do u think about going to a 5A class system? I watched Ron Blume play against Whitley Co he's an excellent hs running back but definetly not a D1 player. QUOTE=ukbellco14]I don't think whether Blume makes an impact on the football field, where ever he goes, is that important. Nor do I think if he had ended up at UK, or some other Div1 school, and saw little to no PT really matters either.

I think any kid who is considering college football as an option to further their academic and athletic career needs to realize one thing. Football will eventually end, and it's most likely going to end after college.

Therefore, any kid who is considering college football as an option to further their academic and athletic career should do the following 2 things:

1.) Go to college where you can get the best education possible, as well as meet the most contacts possible; your education and contacts, not your football career, will get you a successful, stable career!

2.) Go to the college that is willing to pay for that education so when you get out of school you, or your family, isn't thousands of dollars in debt!

I don't care if a kid is Div1 or not.... these are the things that matter. Unless the kid is a top 100 HS recruit with actual pro potential, where he goes to play college football probably isn't going to matter in the long run, except for the two above mentioned realizations.

Listen to these stats:

The chance of an NCAA Division 1A college football player getting drafted is .01 percent.

Add all other college football divisions (Div1AA, D2, D3, NAIA) and it gets tougher because their are more players competing for the same 255 draft slots (the number of picks in this years draft).

Now consider the fact that only about 1/2 of those players drafted will actually make the team and earn a spot on the final roster.

What about free agents? For the players who don't get drafted, but actually come on as free agents, it doesn't get much better. Just a little over 1% of free agents actually make a career out of the NFL.

The average career of an NFL player lasts only 3.5 years.

The median NFL salary is around $500,000.... which sounds like alot, but not when it only lasts 3.5 years and you blow most of it because you are living the life of MTV's "Cribs." 1.75 million dollars is a lot of money, but unless managed properly, isn't near enough to sustain someone for a lifetime, especially if they have a family and are living the "luxurious life."

I did not use average salary because those numbers are skewed due to the inflated salaries of superstars. The average NFL salary is actually 1.5 million, however, only 19% of NFL players actually make over 1 million dollars.

A career in the NFL provides very little security. If you don't perform... you are replaced. If you get hurt... you are replaced. If someone in the organization doesn't like you... you are replaced. There goes the money. And so on and so on and so forth.

Think the NFL life is glorious? Most NFL players retire from the NFL with little to no money, divorced, jobless, and their bodies are literally destroyed. Many are addicted to drugs, alchohol, or some other substance.

Unless you have a real shot at being an NFL franchise player (which is even more unlikely then just getting to the NFL), with the ability to market your name after life in the NFL (endorsement deals, sports anchors, etc), then you better have a plan outside of football.... and that plan better involve a free college degree and getting to know ppl "in the know."

Now consider these stats:

In Colorado there were 3,481 male high school seniors who played football during the 1994 season. Of these, 31 received full scholarships at Division I-A schools (0.0089 percent). There are just over 10,000 full scholarships available for Div1A football. There are well over a million highschool football players. You do the math. As a high school football player you have little chance of receiving a full-ride football scholly.

Anyone who can earn a Division1A scholarship is to be especially commended! Anyone who can earn a college football scholarship, period, is to be commended!

Having said all that.....Congrats Mr. Blume, where ever he goes on to continue his collegiate athletic and academic career!

From what I hear, the kid is dynomite on the football field. From my own personal experience being from KY is mainly the problem. For example, if you have an outstanding season in KY and a good 40 time with average height and weight, you still may end up at EKU, WKU, Murray St., Morehead, etc. While on the other hand, a kid from somewhere like TN, GA, VA, NC, SC, FL, AL, LA would have a average season by our standards and recieve not only a scholarship, but at a bigtime school. This sort of thing happened to the kid who I think had the most heart of any high school player ever. The kid that was like 5'6 and was Mr. Everything at Rockcastle Co. when they lost to Boyle in the state finals. Does anyone know his name? I've seen very good players on the D-1 level around that size. Just a matter of a recruiter being interested, and as far as KY goes, their not.

From what I hear, the kid is dynomite on the football field. From my own personal experience being from KY is mainly the problem. For example, if you have an outstanding season in KY and a good 40 time with average height and weight, you still may end up at EKU, WKU, Murray St., Morehead, etc. While on the other hand, a kid from somewhere like TN, GA, VA, NC, SC, FL, AL, LA would have a average season by our standards and recieve not only a scholarship, but at a bigtime school. This sort of thing happened to the kid who I think had the most heart of any high school player ever. The kid that was like 5'6 and was Mr. Everything at Rockcastle Co. when they lost to Boyle in the state finals. Does anyone know his name? I've seen very good players on the D-1 level around that size. Just a matter of a recruiter being interested, and as far as KY goes, their not.

I dont know if I neccessarily agree with everything you said, however I must agree that Marty Reagan (the player I think you are talking about) was unbelievable. One of the greatest HS players (emphasis on HS player, for those that want to debate his ability since he didn't go on to college) to ever come out of KY. One of the hardest nosed and biggest hearted kids to step on the field.

His size would have hurt him at his position in college (RB). I mean it's one thing to carry the ball 40 times at 5'6 160lbs in HS against HS defenses. It's another thing to carry the ball 40 times against D1 colleges at 5'6 160lbs. Durability and injury would have been an issue. Also, at 5'6, he would have been short for a college corner. Most corners these days are around 6 foot or taller since most receivers are over 6'2. No knock on Marty, but he couldn't cover Jacob Tamme in the state championship match ups, and it wasn't because Marty wasn't good enough, it was just because of Jacob's height advantage.

But he still deserved a shot somewhere, even if it wasnt major D1. I think there were also some issues as far as academic eligibility went.

Trust me! Check rosters like FSU, UT, UF. They actually have guys in their backfields close to that size. Remeber, Warrick Dunn of the Atlanta Falcons is only 5'8 on a good day. The fact that he's from LA is pretty much the diff. Not saying that he's not talented, but I have seen some like him here. Marty Reagan was GREAT. Tamme is not a good example because 1: colleges can design defenses to benefit a smaller guys abilities, 2: Tamme will be a pro-bowl player someday if he stays healthy, 3: Rockcastle had to battle Ft. Thomas a week beforehand. Taking nothing away from that Boyle team, who could, but Reagan deserved a shot. If I were a D-1 coach, I would've picked him up. Regardless of the size, TOO MUCH TALENT TO PASS BY.