Where will Ron "Blume" at next?

According to the Johnson Central people, he was a "Division 1" player. What happened?

I guess the college recruiters don't know what they are doing or they were biased in their opinion of Blume.;)

He had D-1 numbers in high school, and that probably lead people to think he would go D-1. However, I think his lack of size turned away the D-1 schools(too small to play HB pounds wise, and too short to play WR.)

I wish him the best of luck. (I know we helped him get a lot of those D-1 numbers):creepy:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats and good luck to Blume! Hopefully, he will have an extremely successful collegiate athletic and academic career.

Regardless of where he plays college ball, or what level (D1, D1AA, D2, D3, etc), he was still a very talented HS football player and will be an asset, in some way or another, where ever he ends up.

On the dual topic that seems to be flowing through this thread.....

I have to agree that alot of EKY fans can sometimes get a little overzealous in tabbing their team's superstar the next big D1 player. For me this is a double edged sword. I love EKY fans for their passion and support. However, I think this sometimes can blind them to the truth of a players true ability and college potential and that really hurts EKY sports as a whole because we continually have these future superstar "let downs," and this perpetuates the stereotype that EKY fans don't know sports, or that EKY kids are less talented.

Don't get me wrong.....I am proudly from EKY and love EKY football. However, as I said before, I think that these fans who are sooooo overzealous tend to fuel a very negative sterotype that says EKY fans are "unaware" about what it takes to play D1 ball. You hear hype and more hype and more hype, and how such and such ran a 4.3 40 yard dash and blah blah blah. It does get very old and it does seem to happen every year around the same time.

However, although I do think it is true, to an extend, that alot of EKY fans are "unaware" of what it takes to be a D1 level recruit or earn a D1 level scholarship, I have to also agree with other posters who have said that this isnt always the case; alot of EKY fans know exactly what it takes.

It has been my experience that the coaches (both HS and college) and recruiting experts (Rivals, etc), although not infalliable (sp), are correct the majority of the time.

Congrats and good luck to Blume! Hopefully, he will have an extremely successful collegiate athletic and academic career.

Regardless of where he plays college ball, or what level (D1, D1AA, D2, D3, etc), he was still a very talented HS football player and will be an asset, in some way or another, where ever he ends up.

I have to agree that alot of EKY fans can sometimes get a little overzealous in tabbing their team's superstar the next big D1 player. For me this is a double edged sword. I love EKY fans for their passion and support. However, I think this sometimes can blind them to the truth of a players true ability and college potential and that really hurts EKY sports as a whole because we continually have these future superstar "let downs," and this perpetuates the stereotype that EKY fans don't know sports, or that EKY kids are less talented.

Don't get me wrong.....I am proudly from EKY and love EKY football. However, as I said before, I think that these fans who are sooooo overzealous tend to fuel a very negative sterotype that says EKY fans are "unaware" about what it takes to play D1 ball. You hear hype and more hype and more hype, and how such and such ran a 4.3 40 yard dash and blah blah blah. It does get very old and it does seem to happen every year around the same time.

However, although I do think it is true, to an extend, that alot of EKY fans are "unaware" of what it takes to be a D1 level recruit or earn a D1 level scholarship, I have to also agree with other posters who have said that this isnt always the case; alot of EKY fans know exactly what it takes.

It has been my experience that the coaches (both HS and college) and recruiting experts (Rivals, etc), although not infalliable (sp), are correct the majority of the time.

:thumb: Great post!

EG. Wisconsin didn't want Derek Abney (at that time I understand he set the state record in Wisconsin for TD's in HS) because he was 'too small and couldn't play D1 football'. He became an All American at UK. AT UK!!! Most coaches are correct, but you are right, sometimes, they just miss the boat. It happens.

But any kid who gets to play college football has my admiration! :thumb:

:thumb: Great post!

EG. Wisconsin didn't want Derek Abney (at that time I understand he set the state record in Wisconsin for TD's in HS) because he was 'too small and couldn't play D1 football'. He became an All American at UK. AT UK!!! Most coaches are correct, but you are right, sometimes, they just miss the boat. It happens.

But any kid who gets to play college football has my admiration! :thumb:

And my admiration as well!! It's very tough to get division 1 scholarships because there are so many kids trying to get them and I can tell you from experence how hard it is and how much has to go into getting them. I'm very proud of all of our Kentucky players that are going on to play college football.

According to the Johnson Central people, he was a "Division 1" player. What happened?

I guess the college recruiters don't know what they are doing or they were biased in their opinion of Blume.;)

I think most people who spoke with their head and not their heart would have agreed that Ron was really not a D1 athlete. Huge heart, awesome skills and a great kid, but his size is a huge limitation. I think he would rather go to a school where he can make an impact instead of going to UK and possibly never seeing any PT.

:thumb:

I think most people who spoke with their head and not their heart would have agreed that Ron was really not a D1 athlete. Huge heart, awesome skills and a great kid, but his size is a huge limitation. I think he would rather go to a school where he can make an impact instead of going to UK and possibly never seeing any PT.

I don't think whether Blume makes an impact on the football field, where ever he goes, is that important. Nor do I think if he had ended up at UK, or some other Div1 school, and saw little to no PT really matters either.

I think any kid who is considering college football as an option to further their academic and athletic career needs to realize one thing. Football will eventually end, and it's most likely going to end after college.

Therefore, any kid who is considering college football as an option to further their academic and athletic career should do the following 2 things:

1.) Go to college where you can get the best education possible, as well as meet the most contacts possible; your education and contacts, not your football career, will get you a successful, stable career!

2.) Go to the college that is willing to pay for that education so when you get out of school you, or your family, isn't thousands of dollars in debt!

I don't care if a kid is Div1 or not.... these are the things that matter. Unless the kid is a top 100 HS recruit with actual pro potential, where he goes to play college football probably isn't going to matter in the long run, except for the two above mentioned realizations.

Listen to these stats:

The chance of an NCAA Division 1A college football player getting drafted is .01 percent.

Add all other college football divisions (Div1AA, D2, D3, NAIA) and it gets tougher because their are more players competing for the same 255 draft slots (the number of picks in this years draft).

Now consider the fact that only about 1/2 of those players drafted will actually make the team and earn a spot on the final roster.

What about free agents? For the players who don't get drafted, but actually come on as free agents, it doesn't get much better. Just a little over 1% of free agents actually make a career out of the NFL.

The average career of an NFL player lasts only 3.5 years.

The median NFL salary is around $500,000.... which sounds like alot, but not when it only lasts 3.5 years and you blow most of it because you are living the life of MTV's "Cribs." 1.75 million dollars is a lot of money, but unless managed properly, isn't near enough to sustain someone for a lifetime, especially if they have a family and are living the "luxurious life."

I did not use average salary because those numbers are skewed due to the inflated salaries of superstars. The average NFL salary is actually 1.5 million, however, only 19% of NFL players actually make over 1 million dollars.

A career in the NFL provides very little security. If you don't perform... you are replaced. If you get hurt... you are replaced. If someone in the organization doesn't like you... you are replaced. There goes the money. And so on and so on and so forth.

Think the NFL life is glorious? Most NFL players retire from the NFL with little to no money, divorced, jobless, and their bodies are literally destroyed. Many are addicted to drugs, alchohol, or some other substance.

Unless you have a real shot at being an NFL franchise player (which is even more unlikely then just getting to the NFL), with the ability to market your name after life in the NFL (endorsement deals, sports anchors, etc), then you better have a plan outside of football.... and that plan better involve a free college degree and getting to know ppl "in the know."

Now consider these stats:

In Colorado there were 3,481 male high school seniors who played football during the 1994 season. Of these, 31 received full scholarships at Division I-A schools (0.0089 percent). There are just over 10,000 full scholarships available for Div1A football. There are well over a million highschool football players. You do the math. As a high school football player you have little chance of receiving a full-ride football scholly.

Anyone who can earn a Division1A scholarship is to be especially commended! Anyone who can earn a college football scholarship, period, is to be commended!

Having said all that.....Congrats Mr. Blume, where ever he goes on to continue his collegiate athletic and academic career!

UKbellco14, what a post and dead on!! It's dang near imposible but you can get them if you keep your grades and attitude in order. In todays time with it costing colleges scholarships for kids not finishing school it's going to get tougher if the grades aren't up to par!!!

I dont mean to squash a HS players hopes and dreams of getting a Division 1A scholarship, or playing in the NFL one day.

I think those are two very admirable goals, and I think that the first can be achieved with dedication, hard work, talent, and a coaching staff that is willing to help its student-athletes. I think the second can also be achieved, although it is extremely difficult given the statistics. I would encourage any HS football player to pursue both of those with everything in him, and would never discourage a kid from doing so.

However, I just think that regardless of whether a player earns a Division 1A scholarship or not, or whether that player has a chance to make it in the NFL or not...... when it all comes down to it, all of that will probably not matter.

Education comes first and it should be the main priority in choosing and attending any college, even if you have a chance to play football at that college.

Most likely, after college, it won't matter how great a college football career the kid had or where he went to play football at.

It will only matter if they got their degree and can translate the traits that made them a great HS, college, or pro football player into the work force.

I think sometimes we as fans tend to lose sight of all that I have posted throughout this thread...... and instead of just praising and encouraging our players for their ability and achievements (which are tremendous even if they aren't Div1A), we want to look through "rose colored glasses" and then hype our team's players up, only to set them up for failure. I am all about chasing dreams and I am the ultimate optimistic...... however, ppl need to also learn to balance that optimism by being realist and understanding that these college coaches and recruiting analysts get paid for a reason. They have seen the best every year, and most the times they know what they are talking about.

It's as if we think, "because our kid isn't Div1A talent that he is somehow 'less' then the kid who is." That isn't the case, and if we could look past that and realize that these are HS kids simply playing a game they love and trying to get an education, then maybe the insignificant things, like whether a kid is Div1A, wouldn't seem so monumentally important, and the things that are important, like getting a college education, would become greater in our minds.

I've said it many times before, but some of the best High School football & basketball players I have seen over the last 20 years never signed a D-I scholarship.

Thats life, and life isn't fair, but it doesn't take away from their accomplishments on the HS level none the least in my opinion.

What some people don't understand is that college coaches, when recruiting players, don't pay much attention to stats. In the case of a running back, they look at size, speed, strength and running style (power or shiftiness or some combination thereof) ... things that don't always show up in numbers.

All great high school backs put up great numbers. Just because one back has better stats than another doesn't mean he's a better prospect.