Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert facing federal charges

Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert facing federal charges - CBS News

Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert has been indicted on federal charges for trying to hide close to $1 million in bank withdrawals and for lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The indictment returned by a federal grand jury says Hastert was charged with one count each of structuring his currency transactions to evade Currency Transaction Reports on a withdrawal of $925,000 in cash and making false statements to the FBI.

Documents filed in a U.S. District Court in Illinois allege that in 2010, Hastert agreed to provide an unnamed individual with $3.5 million. Between 2010 and 2014, he withdrew a total of approximately $1.7 million in cash from various bank accounts. Until 2012, the denominations varied between about $50,000 and $100,000, and then after 2012, the money was always withdrawn in denominations under $10,000 - in order to avoid triggering a requirement that banks report cash withdrawals exceeding $10,000.

Hastert allegedly began making payments to a person referred to in the documents as "Individual A" in 2010, after meeting with this person "several times." The indictment says Hastert and Individual A "discussed past misconduct by defendant against Individual A that had occurred years earlier." It was during these conversations that Hastert agreed to pay this person the $3.5 million sum "to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct."

A report I read says the money was paid to try to hide sex abuse by Hastert.

I didn't see anything about the abuse part but I saw where it was to keep quiet about a relationship with a male during his time as a high school wrestling coach. That would make sense that it was a student.

Structuring currency transactions will get you every time. Just take the $10,000 out and don't worry about it. The IRS doesn't care what you do with your money as long as you've paid taxes on it and it's not used for illegal purposes.

Structuring currency transactions will get you every time. Just take the $10,000 out and don't worry about it. The IRS doesn't care what you do with your money as long as you've paid taxes on it and it's not used for illegal purposes.

Sexual misconduct will also get you every time. LOL

I just got back from dinner and drinks with my brother in law. He is more a lib and I am more conservative. I am beginning to agree with him though on the fact he pretty much hates all the politicians in Washington - party does not matter. They are all corrupt in his eyes. I think he is right more and more every day.

AML. will find the patterns even less than 10k Couple with KYC software and your bank knows you better tha your mother.

I just got back from dinner and drinks with my brother in law. He is more a lib and I am more conservative. I am beginning to agree with him though on the fact he pretty much hates all the politicians in Washington - party does not matter. They are all corrupt in his eyes. I think he is right more and more every day.

The term "public servant" becomes more of an anachronism with each passing day, seemingly.