$725 million will buy you America's biggest ranch

SportsGuy41017

The biggest ranch in America that stretches over 510,000 continuous acres - that's 796 square miles, making it a plot of land bigger than the island of Oahu - has gone on sale for $725million.

Realtors are hoping the Waggoner ranch in north Texas will become the most expensive estate in the world - after slapping the huge price tag on it in the hopes of attracting a Silicon Valley entrepreneur or oil tycoon.

Cattle baron Dan Waggoner established the estate in 1849 - and it has operated with its backwards 'D' logo ever since.

The estate includes the 510,000-acre ranch spread over six North Texas counties, with two main compounds, hundreds of homes, about 20 cowboy camps, hundreds of quarter-horses, thousands of heads of cattle, and 30,000 acres of cultivated land, according to Dallas-based broker Bernie Uechtritz, who is handling the sale along with broker Sam Middleton of Lubbock.

Oil was discovered on the property in 1902 and there are now more than a thousand wells spread across the property.

Read more: America's biggest ranch The Waggoner on sale for $725m in Texas*Word Filter Violation - Edit Your Post* | Daily Mail Online

I only know because I've been to both, but King Ranch in Texas is actually the largest in the US, but it isn't contiguous. The Waggoner Ranch is the largest contiguous ranch in the United States, but the King Ranch is actually over 50% larger, just broken up into four parcels.

I can't afford either. King Ranch in south Texas is WAY MORE beautiful and "cool" than the Waggoner Ranch, if anyone is interested.

I wonder how many rattlesnakes are on it?:scared:

starting checking under the couch cushions looking for the last million or so and then you ruined the whole deal by mentioning rattlesnakes.

Deals off. You guys can fight over it now.

The biggest ranch in America that stretches over 510,000 continuous acres - that's 796 square miles, making it a plot of land bigger than the island of Oahu - has gone on sale for $725million.

796 square miles. Isn't that about twice the size of Jefferson County or about the size of Pike County?

I only know because I've been to both, but King Ranch in Texas is actually the largest in the US, but it isn't contiguous. The Waggoner Ranch is the largest contiguous ranch in the United States, but the King Ranch is actually over 50% larger, just broken up into four parcels.

I can't afford either. King Ranch in south Texas is WAY MORE beautiful and "cool" than the Waggoner Ranch, if anyone is interested.

They actually allow tours of their ranches?

I wonder what type of security the families that own these ranches have. Or is that part of the cowboys job? Along with working head of cattle, they are armed?