Giants @ Reds (5/14 - 5/17)

I was happy when the Reds promoted Price (was not a Dusty fan) but am not a fan now. However, Sparky Anderson, Lou Piniella and Connie Mack would struggle with this bunch. A below average starting pitching group, a leadoff hitter with the worst OBP in baseball, a right fielder who has arguably been the worst starting hitter in baseball this season, and a bullpen which is the worst in baseball does not add up to a good season. Throw in two players that the Reds were really counting on to have big years (Bailey and Mesoraco) being basically non-factors - just not a recipe for much. They will probably in the vicinity of .500 at the all star break and then a night mare in the second half after the fire sale starts.

You are right about most of this, but WAY OFF on the "below average starting pitching group." Cueto is a stud #1 . Leake has been very solid this year so far. Desclafani, Iglesias, Lorenzen are young, but pitching at least 'average" baseball. Marquis has been below average, but not so far to cancel out the amount Cueto and Leake are above average. Statistics agree. I think the starting pitching ERA is Top 5 in the NL or MLB, can't remember which.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right about most of this, but WAY OFF on the "below average starting pitching group." Cueto is a stud #1 . Leake has been very solid this year so far. Desclafani, Iglesias, Lorenzen are young, but pitching at least 'average" baseball. Marquis has been below average, but not so far to cancel out the amount Cueto and Leake are above average. Statistics agree. I think the starting pitching ERA is Top 5 in the NL or MLB, can't remember which.

You're incorrect. The starters ERA is 3.96 which is 9th in the NL and 14th in MLB. The Reds starters only have 18 quality starts in their 26 games.

You're incorrect. The starters ERA is 3.96 which is 9th in the NL and 14th in MLB. The Reds starters only have 18 quality starts in their 26 games.

He's probably referencing the stat someone posted before this series. It surely changed a bit from this beat down.

He's probably referencing the stat someone posted before this series. It surely changed a bit from this beat down.

It was probably me who posted it.

Before this past homestand, on WLW (I think it was Lance) said that they were #4 in the MLB in ERA and #1 in innings pitched.

AJG -- thanks for providing the updated stats. As HT & MJ point out, the starters certainly did not help their ERA in the last 3 games.

More importantly, do you think the Reds starters are "below average?" 9/15 is but 14/30 is not, but there are a bunch of stats beyond ERA and quality starts.

AJG -- thanks for providing the updated stats. As HT & MJ point out, the starters certainly did not help their ERA in the last 3 games.

More importantly, do you think the Reds starters are "below average?" 9/15 is but 14/30 is not, but there are a bunch of stats beyond ERA and quality starts.

Given that they rank in the bottom half of the NL I think they are below average. Overall the League ERA is higher in the AL due to the DH. The Reds are also 2nd in most homers allowed and 21st in strikeouts per 9.

The Reds starters got off to a good start but they are starting to come back to earth. Cueto is a total stud. Leake is almost the definition of an "average" MLB pitcher. His career ERA is around 3.90. He is not great but not terrible, just average. The rest of the starters are either very young and not dependable (Iglesias, Lorenzen, Desclafani) or just bad (Marquis). In total, below average to me. Go with the young guys and hope they do well.