NCAA Officiating

LOOGY

Technology can't be the blame given how little it is actually available to be used. They're blowing critical calls at times that you can't go to the monitor. And then it doesn't help when they fail to get right even when they do look at the monitor. I think people are still trying to figure out how Lyles doesn't at least get a flagrant 1 against Wisconsin. It may have been just a fingertip tonight but that one ball was off of Duke. Still got them wrong. Missing calls when players step on the baseline, missing calls when they come back in, shot clock violations, let a guy get mugged one half and then call a feather touch the next, the general joke that is the charge call, and on and on. No way that's all on technology.

I think the calls without the technology are deteriorating. I have noted in a few game threads during the tournament that officials seemed lazy or not focused.

I was trying to ask if the use (or threat of use) of the big 'eye-in-the-sky' is ruining the officials 'overall' attitude and thus they are just mailing it in.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And apparently doesn't recruit "rent a players" yet recruited the hell out of Diamond Stone and Kevon Looney.

I get being upset after a loss but dude is on another level right now. Basically said Duke won because they got away with a bunch of hand checks and other garbage.

Wonder if he wants to talk about the shot clock violation basket for Hayes? Or how about the cheap calls that put Duke two best players on the bench majority of the game tonight? Duke naturally is a physical defensive team from what I've seen this year. You lost. Quit complaining Bo.

Exactly. Whining about Duke players initiating contact and how they coach in practice to call those offensive fouls. Ok then coach, take 3 of 4 fouls from Okafor and 2 from Wnslow, and let those kids play the entire game. Only thing consistent is when Duke wins it was by the grace of officiating. Nothing to do with Allen going on a personal 8-0 run. Nothing to do with Tyus Jones hitting big shot after big shot down the stretch. Nothing to do with the phenomenal defense Matt Jones played on Dekker all night long. Nothing mentioned about Wisky going in te offensive tank from the under 8 TO to the end of the game.

I know that we always say "calls never determine the outcome" however, I can cite a recent incident in which they did. If you don't notice the officiating that's the epitome of the concept. Bellarmine is playing Florida Southern in the Final 4 and with approx. 4 minutes remaining in the game there's a 9 minute delay to determine if one of the Florida Southern players has 4 or 5 fouls. Really, in the NCAA Final 4 they can't keep the book? We (Bellarmine) were up 5 at the time and Florida Southern was tiring out; they were on the ropes. We had beaten teams all year the same way, in the lat 5 minutes of the game after wearing them down with our pressure. THIS SHOULDN'T EVER HAPPEN! If your going to take the money from these schools to organize and manage them then you should be held accountable. I'd personally like to see an alternative option for the NCAA. It's a complacent, God-Like, organization with no one to make them improve......

Exactly. Whining about Duke players initiating contact and how they coach in practice to call those offensive fouls. Ok then coach, take 3 of 4 fouls from Okafor and 2 from Wnslow, and let those kids play the entire game. Only thing consistent is when Duke wins it was by the grace of officiating. Nothing to do with Allen going on a personal 8-0 run. Nothing to do with Tyus Jones hitting big shot after big shot down the stretch. Nothing to do with the phenomenal defense Matt Jones played on Dekker all night long. Nothing mentioned about Wisky going in te offensive tank from the under 8 TO to the end of the game.

I went into this game, and actually into the second half not caring who won, but it seemed as though the officials decided at the half to call it differently at one end.

It's hard to generate offensive flow when the defense is hand checking and holding to keep you out of the lane, so it's no wonder the Badgers looked out of synch in the second half. As aggressively and physical as Duke played defense in the second half, it's hard to comprehend that they only committed 5 fouls.

I can't speak for the other conferences but if this tourney is any indication I would say that all officiating is as bad as the SEC officials.

The SEC officiating has been just horrid and this year was the worst I've seen in awhile. It's really bad when certain officials make it personal against certain coaches and that has been prevalent in the SEC for awhile also.

I just wish wish they would let the players decide games.

What is worse is when refs call

it one way in one half and then change entirely how they call it the second half. Last night was perfect example. First half they called

contact and then Coach K whined to the refs at halftime and he caused them to change the way they called the game which is wrong. The second half they allowed Duke to make a lot of contact especially on offense with push offs etc. And they got all the calls the second half which dictated the winner more than anything else. Officials ruined what could have been a great tourney.

^ Saying that the 3 officials on the floor didn't have the best view - the one that the television audience got late. The chief of officials saw it late and evidently had an opportunity to "make the call himself".

A. Why didn't the officials get the same angles as the viewing audience?

2. Why did the chief of officials ultimately "keep his whistle in his pocket"?

D. Ultimately not a game-changer.

I guess the thing that bothers me is that the guys calling these games should be

"the best of the best of the best...with honors...sir"

and they were awful.

There isn't a chance in the world that Pat Adams is one of the top 10 officials.

this is shocking from yahoo sports what NCAA head of officials said about the out of bounds call that wasn't reversed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/ncaa-head-of-officials-on-controversial-play---we-never-saw-what-everybody-saw-at-home-213242341.html

“All four of our officials were involved in the review. We never saw, on our monitor, what everybody saw at home, if you can believe that,” Adams said.