State Title Location

Actually to add a little flavor to the debate of geographic center I would like to suggest its completely irrelevant!:p

You're talking a compass, as-the-crow-flies point. We all know theres not one road in KY like that:D

Personally, rather than debate which city it's in I would prefer a discussion of how they can make it more of an event and social gathering like the sweet 16:dancingpa

As it is, a huge majority of fans are only present for their own teams game and then they're outta there! The "Freezing Our Fanny" (FOF) principle is obviously a huge factor in that, being as it's December.:scared:

However, if KHSAA and some creative minds could/would start trying an approach like the NFL does for the Superbowl and the NCAA does for most of its various championships; basically come up with various themes, attractions, events, concerts, contests, & so forth to create an "EVENT" over just a couple days/nights, then I think you would see a dramatic increase in interest among everyone - including casual fans without a rooting interest. Besides, the KHSAA could maybe make more $$$$ as well :rolleyes:

Otherwise, I wouldnt mind if they split up the games and played 2 at Commonwealth and 2 at the pizza box (Sat & Sun). Or even 1 each at E.Ky, W.KY, Lex & Lou (Fri, Sat am, Sat pm, Sun). Ohio splits their games up at various sites all over the state (or they used to)

Creative Cheers, Woody Jr

Nice post. I wish somebody that could do something ..... welll.......would do something like you suggest. But it'll never happen. Just my guess.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post. I wish somebody that could do something ..... welll.......would do something like you suggest. But it'll never happen. Just my guess.

Well lets just get everyone on the bandwagon and do it !:D :banana:

Cheers, Woody Jr

There's more to a stadium than just grass. Commonwealth has its nice points, but it's a creaky relic when compared to PJCS.

I guess I just like the feel of Commonwealth better. But I will agree Papa Johns has a beautiful newer stadium. I guess to me were its a complete bowl now and has the large upper level I just like it better. But were not selling out games in state championship so we dont have to worry about that. I just personaly like Uk's stadium better for some odd reason and its not cause UK players there I just love the stadium but I do def think Papa Johns is better suited for the state championship games and we have it at the right place.

Actually, I think that Danville has a marker denoting it as the geographic center of the state.

Not to argue over completely meaningless things … but … if that marker was in place before the Purchase area was annexed into Kentucky, I could see Danville as being the center. But looking at the map of Ky in the almanac, with Marion County filled in, it's pretty clear that it is the geographical center.

Not to argue over completely meaningless things … but … if that marker was in place before the Purchase area was annexed into Kentucky, I could see Danville as being the center. But looking at the map of Ky in the almanac, with Marion County filled in, it's pretty clear that it is the geographical center.

Go to this site.

I clicked on the county that looked like it was in the middle.

It was Marion. It came down to Marion and Larue.

Not to argue over completely meaningless things … but …

Jim,

I thought that was the purpose of this site ?????

:confused: :confused: ;) ;) :D :D :p:p :thumb:

Cheers, Woody Jr

:laugh:

I'm going to steal the title from the last guy selected in the NFL draft — Just call me Mr. Irrelevant! :D

The KHSAA could actually take a page from Bluegrass Preps in making the championship an EVENT. Thanks to Mr. Network and the Guru, the 2004 finals were a weekend never to be forgotten! :ylsuper: :dancingpa :ylsuper:

The KHSAA could actually take a page from Bluegrass Preps in making the championship an EVENT. Thanks to Mr. Network and the Guru, the 2004 finals were a weekend never to be forgotten! :ylsuper: :dancingpa :ylsuper:

HMMMM.... 2004......2004? No, I can't seem to recall that one. :D :lol:

I hope the championships never leave Papa Johns.

However, the problem we face with the 06 scheduling is a big kick in the teeth to the finals as an event. If they can't work out a better solution, then Commonwealth with turf would be an attractive venue.

If we go to 5 or 6 classes, that showcase becomes more of a scheduling problem on the years UL has a home game on finals weekend.

I hope the championships never leave Papa Johns.

However, the problem we face with the 06 scheduling is a big kick in the teeth to the finals as an event. If they can't work out a better solution, then Commonwealth with turf would be an attractive venue.

If we go to 5 or 6 classes, that showcase becomes more of a scheduling problem on the years UL has a home game on finals weekend.

:thumb:

Why can't we all say there are at least two excellent stadiums in which the state football championships can be played. Each facility has its positives and maybe a few negatives, but both Papa John Stadium and Commonwealth Stadium are both very nice facilities both worth of hosting a championship.

The issue at hand is that there is a scheduling conflict at Papa Johns this year and Commonwealth Stadium could serve as a nice backup. I selfishly would love to see at least some of the championship games be at Commonwealth because of its proximity (to my house) and all the positives it would do for UK.

Why can't we all say there are at least two excellent stadiums in which the state football championships can be played. Each facility has its positives and maybe a few negatives, but both Papa John Stadium and Commonwealth Stadium are both very nice facilities both worth of hosting a championship.

The issue at hand is that there is a scheduling conflict at Papa Johns this year and Commonwealth Stadium could serve as a nice backup. I selfishly would love to see at least some of the championship games be at Commonwealth because of its proximity (to my house) and all the positives it would do for UK.

You are correct. We do have two great stadiums that could host state championships. Unfortunately only one has field turf so they will be the only one hosting the state championship unless the other one changes. Rightfully so, UK probably doesn't want 4 (and soon 5 or 6) games on their grass field in December.