What role should players have in chosing a head coach?

Big K 61

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why you have an AD and a Principal to make these choices. If they deem a search committee to be helpful, so be it. Personnel situations are handled by administrators.

Do you think the average person gets a vote on who their boss is in the workplace?You must learn to go with the flow or move on.

You ALWAYS want all the info available to make a decision. In business, it is no different. I have been involved in hiring/firing at the corporate level, and can tell you that if 'assistant bosses' have problems getting along with the workers, it probably won't get any better if they are the 'boss'.

I agree that the AD and principal should make the choice. But you need input to make the best choice for the program, business, etc.

Rock86 read my mind. This is an employment situation. The school or school district is hiring an employee that best fits their needs. Short term input from students or parents that may have 1 or 2 years left in a program should be no consideration.

If students or parents input is not crucial to the decision making process, why would you ask for it? This opens up opportunity for further problems after the hiring decision is made.

It doesn't say the kids should decide, it asks should they have a role. Completely disregarding any and all other thoughts on the matter is an error. Businesses take all info into consideration, even if it doesn't impact the decision. Schools should be no different.

Read the 2 scenarios I wrote earlier and see if you think the input is wrong.

I know of at least 2 head coaches in Laurel County where input was taken into consideration and while the kids/parents did not make the decision, as this is not their job, their input was considered. How can you make an educated decision without all the facts? I agree that the roles should be very limited, but input is not a bad thing.

And we are saying NO ROLE WHATSOEVER.

We agree to disagree. I think totally discounting ANY information from parents and kids is an error. The admins MUST make an educated decision.

EG. When Abbott (NL) and Irwin (SL) were hired, parents of players and players went to the admins telling why they thought each of these would make a good coach. No, it was not why they were hired by any stretch, BUT there was information that the admins didn't have about those 2 former assistants which let them know a few things which I am sure helped them make their decision. Again, an INFORMED decision! But we cannot let the parents/kids make the call.

We agree to disagree. I think totally discounting ANY information from parents and kids is an error. The admins MUST make an educated decision.
I believe that informed opinion comes from discussions with former employers, other people who have worked with the canidate, etc. Not from parents or students who may have either an agenda or an ax to grind. What do most students and parents know about coaches other than those they have come into direct contact with? What can my star QB tell me about a coach from Ohio? Not much.

I believe that informed opinion comes from discussions with former employers, other people who have worked with the canidate, etc. Not from parents or students who may have either an agenda or an ax to grind. What do most students and parents know about coaches other than those they have come into direct contact with? What can my star QB tell me about a coach from Ohio? Not much.

:thumb: Good point!

No way we should all agree...

After reconsidering my initial post, the hiring committee should be comprised of 3 select parents, and two representatives out of each class (this includes incoming 8th graders)... Together, they comprise an intensive panel that questions the candidate, then it comes down to a vote. The panel also includes 2 cheerleaders, Social Studies teacher, and Janitor (these of course are non-voting members).

Is that better??? :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb: :thumb: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Very true. If your star QB trys to tell me something about a coach he doesn't know, as an administrator, I probably won't give it much credence. However, what can the kids tell us about a coach already on staff who they have played for? Quite a bit. When players and parents came forward to support both Irwin (SL) and Abbott (NL) when they applied for the HC jobs at their respective schools, it showed the adminstration that that particular coach had the support of the players and parents. What is wrong with supporting someone you believe is a good candidate? Nothing at all. In fact, if kids/parents DIDN'T come forward and support an assistant on staff who was applying for the job, if I was an administrator, their silence would send the opposite message. As far as someone outside the program, you are right, most of the info would probably not mean a great deal and those in charge should be smart enough to be able to tell the difference.

I agree 110% that the admins have to make the choice on who they believe is the best candidate. However, telling kids and parents 'sit down and shut up because you have no say in the matter' will do nothing towards positive relations or garner support for the administrations decision. Will everyone be happy with a newly hired coach? Probably not. You can never make everyone happy.

Like I said, I have sat in on selection committees, interviewed, and helped to select/hire school coaches in various sports in the past and considered it an honor to have been asked to do so. I was told that one of the reasons I was chosen was that I had a good idea what type of coach would be able to relate to the kids and parents, ... not bow down to them, ... but garner their support. I listened to what concerned parents or kids had to say on the matter and told them that I appreciated their input and would cast my vote for the best candidate who applied and did just that. Sure I heard garbage from some that went in one ear and right out the other.

Well I been seeing that alot of people on here have been saying no that a player should not get to choose the coach. But this thread doesn't say should the players choose a coach, it just says should players have some sort of role in picking out the right coach. So I would have to disagree with ALL of you on this matter, except for MountainThunder because he seems to understand it!

I went to Ludlow and in 2003 when we was looking for a new coach to replace Bob Parrish after he resigned, our very own superintendent held a meeting for all the players to talk about the next coach. You got to keep in mind that this was when we still was in are 32 game losing streak. She asked us as a team what we thought it would take to turn the program around. She asked us what all we would want in the next coach, and the stuff we would like to see from them.

The superintendent and the people in charge at my school knew that ultimately it was the players who play the games and decide if we win or lose. So they did take in are ideas into consideration when the board and everyone made the decision and obviously it worked out REALLY GOOD because we ended up getting Coach Hensley. We all seen what he did for the program in not only ending the LONG 32 game losing streak but also getting us to the playoffs that year as well, and then going back to the playoffs the very next year to make it the first time in Ludlow history I believe a Ludlow team has gone to the playoffs back to back years.

Im not saying that the players should be the one who says the coach they should hire, because the committee should be the one who decides who is the coach, but they should take into account some of the players opinions since the players are the ones doing the playing. If you do that I believe it will help in getting the best coach for the team. So yes players should have some role in chosing a head coach. I think my example of what we did at Ludlow proves that too, because it obviously worked out REALLY WELL for us and turned the program back around!!!

The bottom line is that the principal hires from a list of candidates approved by the site-based council. The SBC makes a recommendation. Usually, there is a public discussion with the SBC and input is sought from the booster club and interested citizens. That is how it is supposed to work. A player or his parents can make their opinion known.

In practice, a select group of boosters (read $$$$$$$) usually have great say with the principal. Also, pressure is sometimes exerted from the School Board, often with an agenda other than the best interest of the players.

Not that I disagree with the other posters, but with the system in place now the process is less than ideal. I don't think players should be able to weigh in on a specific candidate but I do think their opinions should be considered in determining what to look for in a coach. Particularly seniors want to believe they have left a positive legacy and they have some insight into what to look for.