Congress Letter to Tehran

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just like I said ahead of the Netanyahu speech: the Republican dislike of the president's policies has become so all-consuming that they've elected to run a shadow foreign policy working directly against the nation's own State Department. This is not a good thing.

People seem to really be affected by the notion that America's standing around the globe has grown weak. What does a group of politicians running around undermining their own president in global affairs do for that perceived strength? I'll tell you: it doesn't help.

I am with the administration on this one. The Republican's have no business sending a letter to a foreign adversary no matter their feelings on the agreement. If they don't like it work to defeat it. This could have long term repercussions in foreign policy.

GOP Letter on Iran Nuclear Talks Draws Obama Rebuke - WSJ

Agreed. Completely out of line.

I'm not a fan of the method . But I understand why the Senate did it. Obama has decided he is willing to negotiate with Iran but not the United States Senate. I have a much bigger problem with that.

Yeah but now the precedent is set and the office of the POTUS is no longer an office that carries weight. From now on when Congress disagrees with the POTUS this type of undermining can take place. I don't understand why the military is told to honor and serve every order from the Commander-In-Chief but Congress doesn't. The office of the POTUS is officially irrelevant and it is all because of partisan politics.

It is out line, but so is the President in saying he will not submit the treaty to Congress.

What Congress is telling Iran is correct, that the President is not following the Constitution and that his actions can be voided by a future president.

Congress is schooling Iran on the US Constitution, too bad they cannot school Obama on the US Constitution. It is evident that he was a very poor teacher of the Constitution.

Yeah but now the precedent is set and the office of the POTUS is no longer an office that carries weight. From now on when Congress disagrees with the POTUS this type of undermining can take place. I don't understand why the military is told to honor and serve every order from the Commander-In-Chief but Congress doesn't. The office of the POTUS is officially irrelevant and it is all because of partisan politics.

It doesn't carry much weight anymore, who you can blame for that is up to you.

I'm not a fan of the method . But I understand why the Senate did it. Obama has decided he is willing to negotiate with Iran but not the United States Senate. I have a much bigger problem with that.

Let's not make a mistake here. This was not an act of the United States Senate in a constitutional struggle. This was a political act done outside the scope of governmental procedure. Not even a majority of the senate body signed the letter. It's an inherently political act with not only constitutional repercussions but -- more importantly and immediately -- strategic implications. Was the United States senate having an advise and consent issue with the president I could see it, but we have 40-something senators in the opposition party outlining exactly the way in which they will undermine the current foreign policy of the United States. That's a problem for me.

I 100% do not agree with the Presidents actions on this.

I 100% do not agree with the letter being sent from the senators.

I can agree with this.

I'm not necessarily 100 percent against the president but I have serious doubts that any deal with Iran on nuclear weapons will carry much weight long-term, especially if the stories of the sorts of concessions they're asking prove to be true.