Should High School replace their goalpost?

3wishes

Should schools replace their goalposts for taller more updated ones?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should schools replace their goalposts for taller more updated ones?

• Yes, they should
    • No, they shouldn't

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're statement that nets behind the goal posts would solidy the fact that a kick was good "to the ref" shows a complete and utter zero understanding of how referees call kicks. Just to help you with your interest in football; referees do NOT look back behind the goalposts to see where the football went

........excuse me, while I stop laughing at that one :laugh: :laugh:

The goal posts could have been 200 hundred feet high and JC would still be riding their school bus back to Johnson County crying about something.

Poor JC, Boo hoo hoo ..............:cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers, Woody Jr

Seems to me like you're the one thats stuck on this. The poster's not attached to JC in any fashion.......... Are you feeln' a little guilty????

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE GOAL POST. YOU CAN BUY PVC PIPE AND PAINT IT TO MATCH YOUR GOAL POST AND SLIDE IT OVER YOUR CURRENT GOAL POST. YOU CAN DOUBLE THE LENGTH OF YOUR CURRENT GOAL POST. IT IS A SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE WAY TO MAKE YOUR GOAL POST TALLER. YOU MAY NEED A LIFT TO SLIDE THE PVC PIPE OVER YOUR CURRENT POST. THEY ARE NOT HEAVY . IT WILL TAKE A GOOD UNDERCOAT AND A COUPLE OF COATS TO PAINT THE GOAL POST. JUST A THOUGHT

I would have to agree with the poster (i forgot who I dont have time to go back and look who said it) that it really isnt worth the money for the schools that cant really afford them. The money really ought to be spent more towards upgrading turf, field, stands, facilities, etc before replacing goal posts, especially for those teams that dont kick extra points, let alone dont even have a field goal kicker. Seeing that I am a follower of the r2d4 crowd, I know that a team like Iroquois hasnt attempted an extra point in years and its not like they need to with their team being down 50-6 to Male, Manual, X etc. Rumor has it that they are going to be spending about 10 grand this year to put Bermuda on their field this summer and I for one think that is a better investment for them than putting in new goal posts.

If the school can afford it and has nothing else to do with $10,000, then yeah, its a great upgrade. But when it comes to looking at priorities with that kind of money, i think most ADs would consider goal posts as a last option rather than an immediate need.

If more games were being decided by 3 points or less and this was a legitimate concern on a regular basis, I would say the KHSAA would definately need to look at it. But if this is something that really doesnt occur or effect the outcome of that many games, then its not worth requiring all schools to shell out the money for.

Not sure about the hostility in your post or the need for the sarcasm. :rolleyes:

If you know anything about 3wishes he could care less about the JC-Ashland feud you have been embroiled in. He's a Rockastle guy and a good one at that. :thumb:

His comment about the nets might have been off but your response was a little on the uncalled for side.

He does raise an interesting point about increasing the height of the posts. It would be a help but I don't know about mandating it and making a program spend that money that it could use elsewhere.

Do yourself a favor, Woody, and lose the attitude. You have the wrong guy and the wrong team.

I'm sure 3Wishes grew tired of the childish remarks traded between Ashland and JC last season, just like the rest of us did. No doubt that played a part in his posting this thread.

I'm sure it would have been worth the ten grand in that case to the administrations of both schools, just so they could have avoided being embarrased by the way some of their fans were acting.

OK guys, I'm fine with taking another look at anything I post. :thumb:

I do APOLOGIZE to 3Wishes for posting something that could be taken in anyway as hostile. :sssh:

Perhaps I was bored late at night and had been watching the never ending banter between other folks on here:p . There seems to be a very gray area (a large one at that) between friendly banter and "presumed" hostility and moderators seem to have vastly differing styles and timing for entering in others exchanges - sometimes this seems to be effected by their opinion or involvement in the persons or issues being discussed.

3 wishes posed a very good question for a thread. Watusi noted the remarks(many childish) last year over the Ashland-JC game. I agree, thats why it annoyed me that 3 wishes chose to not just to bring the issue up, but to INSINUATE JC would have gotten the win IF taller goalposts were in place. I felt that was an unnecessary addition to a good original question.

Looking at my post now and considering the number of nice posts by 3Wishes in the past I realize my poor attempt at sarcastic humor did not reflect well. I just thought it was rather silly to think nets have anything to do with calling a kick and showed a lack of understanding about the whole process. My post reflected the way I was thinking at the time, not my opinion of 3Wishes.

Nets are for keeping the ball from going in the stands (saving $) and the other poster who is a referee made a nice post explaining the process(thank you). I felt that 3Wishes comment that the nets "...would leave no doubt for all to see and witness" suggested that what the fans, coaches, MEDIA, etc witnessed was of some importance. It is NOT - thats why we have so much childish stuff on here (and at games) because too many people havent learned to respect an officials call and their role in the process. I've always stressed to the kids I've worked with, as well as their parents!, that you have to be good enough not to have to rely on ONE call by an official and that what they call is the way it is. This is called learning to respect the game - not to mention other people!!!

HATZ put it fairly when he said "Not sure about the hostility/sarcasm ....in your post.

WATUSI was a little more blunt:p telling me to "..lose the attitude" and then telling us why 3Wishes posted as he did. Watusi is also SURE that JC AND Ashland were embarrassed by some fans actions so Ashland would have wanted to pay $10G for the goalposts.

HATZ's thoughtfully worded post that was directed to MY WORDS gave me no hesitation in taking a look back and posting an apology for my possibly too strongly worded post to 3Wishes.

Watusi's more personal, authoritative, demanding style of post to me along with his mindreading statements makes me want to post more of my original:sssh: I'll just say that Ashland has nothing to be embarrassed about and we don't care if other schools want to keep arguing about a referees call - whether thats childish or not is in the eye of the beholder;)

To the original thread's question: Due to costs I believe the best you can do is have KHSAA request/require that any new goalposts erected be the taller version.

Cheers, Woody Jr

P.S., I'm not "embroiled" in anything - I just have a hard time not teasing certain fans b/c they are so easy to get a response from. :D

I initially mentioned JC/Ashland because I knew the sitaution was very recent and something that a lot of fans can relate to because it was posted on here for about 3 months. No more no less, just an example. I had no dog in that fight.

Secondly, I voted to keep what the schools have. I like the idea of human error, because that was the way the game of football started. We as humnas mess things up more when we start correcting/revising everything that was once rule.

I like the idea, however, of the slip on post, that may not be a bad idea in the future though, I was not thinking of that and was just quoting several sites that had goalpost for sale.

About the nets, maybe I should've clarified myself better. If there were a net that connected to the back of the goalpost that allowed some slack, it would almost have to show that the kick was either good or not. I'm not talking about the nets that are about 20 feet behind the goalpost at the college stadiums. I was just bringing up a comment, no more no less. That doesn't mean I believe in it. Just raising an issue.

Thanks for the apology for your remarks, Woody.

I was a bit presumptive about 3W's intentions and I guessed at why he might have used the JC/A reference. I guess I'll have to send that mind reader membership card back.

Remember in the future if you don't like the way a moderator handles a situation, address it in private or with theguru, but never complain about it in the open forum.

Watusi's more personal, authoritative, demanding style of post to me along with his mindreading statements makes me want to post more of my original .
That's one urge you should resist. :cool:

I'll just say that Ashland has nothing to be embarrassed about and we don't care if other schools want to keep arguing about a referees call - whether thats childish or not is in the eye of the beholder
It's a two way street and I would have been embarrassed by some of the things I read and heard if I were associated with either school.

We are going to have human error and complaints from the fans no matter if the goal post were 100 feet tall. College goal post are also more narrow than the high school post. This would be tougher to make a FG or PAT at the HS level.

We are going to have human error and complaints from the fans no matter if the goal post were 100 feet tall. College goal post are also more narrow than the high school post. This would be tougher to make a FG or PAT at the HS level.

Agree, If the Refs position them selves correctly. There would be no problem. You got to remember that these are high school players not college yet. High school kickers normal have a hard time getting between the uprights until there junior year. Freshman kickers are lucky to even get a PAT off. Leave the uprights the way they are. :fire: :fire:

Agree, If the Refs position them selves correctly. There would be no problem. You got to remember that these are high school players not college yet. High school kickers normal have a hard time getting between the uprights until there junior year. Freshman kickers are lucky to even get a PAT off. Leave the uprights the way they are. :fire: :fire:

For the most part you are right about the h.s. kickers and if the refs position themselves correctly, then again I guess that you didn't get the chance to see A. Pettry kick from Raceland kick a few years ago. As long as that official is / was not B.H., everyone should be alright.:lol: :lol:

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE GOAL POST. YOU CAN BUY PVC PIPE AND PAINT IT TO MATCH YOUR GOAL POST AND SLIDE IT OVER YOUR CURRENT GOAL POST. YOU CAN DOUBLE THE LENGTH OF YOUR CURRENT GOAL POST. IT IS A SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE WAY TO MAKE YOUR GOAL POST TALLER. YOU MAY NEED A LIFT TO SLIDE THE PVC PIPE OVER YOUR CURRENT POST. THEY ARE NOT HEAVY . IT WILL TAKE A GOOD UNDERCOAT AND A COUPLE OF COATS TO PAINT THE GOAL POST. JUST A THOUGHT

This sounds like a good idea at first, but after further consideration I don't think it would work very well. In order to make the goal posts higher there would be a considerable amount of pvc with nothing inside and I know that pvc is quite a bit more flexible than steel and I can just imagine what would happen to it if it were hit by a football at the top from 30 to 40 yards away. I would be inclined to think it would bend excessively or break, not to mention how it would be affected by the weather conditions (wind).

This sounds like a good idea at first, but after further consideration I don't think it would work very well. In order to make the goal posts higher there would be a considerable amount of pvc with nothing inside and I know that pvc is quite a bit more flexible than steel and I can just imagine what would happen to it if it were hit by a football at the top from 30 to 40 yards away. I would be inclined to think it would bend excessively or break, not to mention how it would be affected by the weather conditions (wind).

I really liked Warrior1's idea but I think you are spot on - just too flexible.

I can envision a freezing cold Thanksgiving weekend playoff game.

It comes down to a last second kick to decide a trip to Louisville.

The kick is up, ......it has the distance, ......... and, ........ it hits the goalpost, .......and, ........the goalpost snaps in half !!:eek:

Both coaches & teams are out on the field yelling at the refs' who are huddled in a corner of the endzone trying to figure out what to do:confused:

Nah, maybe the PVC wasn't such a good idea afterall

Good try though:cool:

Cheers, Woody Jr