Am I The Only One... Re: Pete Carroll

Am I the only one not giving the guy tons of grief?

Yes, I understand that in hindsight, the right call would have been to hand the ball to Lynch, but I legitimately believe him when he said that the thought was that they'd be running the next two downs. Obviously, that didn't get the chance to happen, but you also have to look at the Seahawks situation in terms of only having 1 timeout (thus only really 2 times to run the ball) and not wanting to leave tons of time on the clock for Brady to engineer a comeback drive that puts the Pat's excellent kicker in FG range. Finally, the guy from the Patriots made a hell of a play.

I thought FiveThirtyEight did a really good job breaking the whole thing down (linked here).

If my Aunt had male organs, she'd be my Uncle. If Wilson completes the pass to Lockette, Pete Caroll is a two-time Super Bowl winner and the media would be loving him and talking about whether or not Deflategate was too much of a distraction coming into the Super Bowl.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one not giving the guy tons of grief?

Yes, I understand that in hindsight, the right call would have been to hand the ball to Lynch, but I legitimately believe him when he said that the thought was that they'd be running the next two downs. Obviously, that didn't get the chance to happen, but you also have to look at the Seahawks situation in terms of only having 1 timeout (thus only really 2 times to run the ball) and not wanting to leave tons of time on the clock for Brady to engineer a comeback drive that puts the Pat's excellent kicker in FG range. Finally, the guy from the Patriots made a hell of a play.

I thought FiveThirtyEight did a really good job breaking the whole thing down (linked here).

If my Aunt had male organs, she'd be my Uncle. If Wilson completes the pass to Lockette, Pete Caroll is a two-time Super Bowl winner and the media would be loving him and talking about whether or not Deflategate was too much of a distraction coming into the Super Bowl.

I completely agree. It's amazing how many people I know with very little football knowledge are even piling on the guy. I've heard and seen those same statistics, and agree, this was not that unusual of a decision. Granted, not all teams have Lynch...if more teams did, you probably would have seen less pass attempts. On the flip side, it was mentioned that Lynch only scored one TD in 5 attempts from the 1 yard line this year. So even he wasn't necessarily a sure thing. If I were coaching, I probably would have ran the ball. But obviously, Carroll isn't the first to make this call, and it's not all that unusual of a decision.

I kinda agree, it's easy to say go Beastmode there but the play was there. The WR IMO seems to be slow to get going on the play and should have squared around to make Butler go through him. Wilson could have not led him by a foot less.

Carroll's mistake IMO is running a goal line play that they had ran in the past that could have been scouted. You got to have something new for the Super Bowl, the Hoodie had it scouted and Butler even said as much. That he knew what was coming from watching film.

Why didn't Belicheat call timeout?

I think he wanted to force the Seahawks into making a decision. He had the lead, and the Seahawks had to score a TD. If his defense stops them, he wins, and I have to believe he trusted his defense. Even if he calls a timeout and they score, it's not like they would have had a ton of time to come back and tie the game, and certainly not enough to maybe take the lead. By not calling a timeout, all the pressure was on the Hawks to make the right decision and score a TD in the heat of the moment. I think if the Pats had a 3 point lead or less, then maybe the Pats call a timeout to preserve some time, as even stopping the Seahawks would likely result in a tie game, since a field goal is nearly automatic from there.

I think he wanted to force the Seahawks into making a decision. He had the lead' date=' and the Seahawks had to score a TD. If his defense stops them, he wins, and I have to believe he trusted his defense. Even if he calls a timeout and they score, it's not like they would have had a ton of time to come back and tie the game, and certainly not enough to maybe take the lead. By not calling a timeout, all the pressure was on the Hawks to make the right decision and score a TD in the heat of the moment. I think if the Pats had a 3 point lead or less, then maybe the Pats call a timeout to preserve some time, as even stopping the Seahawks would likely result in a tie game, since a field goal is nearly automatic from there.[/quote']

But if they hand off to Lynch score with about 15 seconds left.

I think we overanalyze all of this way too much. This is a pretty simple barbaric game. Give it to the BEAST and stick it in the endzone. Kickoff into the endzone and see if Brady can throw enough short passes to get a FG (highly doubtful). New England sold out on Def w/o timeouts because they would not be able to protect Brady in a downfield attack vs 5 or 6 DB's anyway. The game should have been decided by the biggins and the BEAST not between a rec that I cant rememberby name and a corner from West Alabama.

Carroll and his offensive coordinator deserve some heat but not as much as they are getting. Sure, he should have run the ball...or at least faked it to Lynch to suck the defense in and either have an easy pass to the TE or a Wilson bootleg...something like that. BUT the fact that the pass was intercepted was incredibly bad luck. What people are not saying enough is what an unbelievable play the NE corner made. That ball goes incomplete 9 times out of 10 and I think there was a fair amount of luck in the guy holding onto it while colliding with the receiver.

I think Seattle just ran out of luck finally. They should have lost to GB and the catch by Kearse to get them to the 5 was a fluke play. They were due to have something go against them and boy did it in a BIG way...