Is a 30 game schedule for Girl's Basketball excessive?

After watching girl's bb for about 5 years now, I'm beginning to wonder if a 30 game schedule is excessive. Given the participation crossover between JV and Varsity, I see a lot of players that on the tail end of back to back games, just do not have it in the gas tank. Big kids especially. Granted, at the state tournament, you are playing back to back, but that is only varsity.

Also,if you are playing a game as the tail end of a back to back, you are at an extreme disadvantage if your opponent is not.

After watching girl's bb for about 5 years now, I'm beginning to wonder if a 30 game schedule is excessive. Given the participation crossover between JV and Varsity, I see a lot of players that on the tail end of back to back games, just do not have it in the gas tank. Big kids especially. Granted, at the state tournament, you are playing back to back, but that is only varsity.

Also,if you are playing a game as the tail end of a back to back, you are at an extreme disadvantage if your opponent is not.

So are you selling them short again just because they're females??

Is that the amount of games or a scheduling challenge? I think there are different strategies to putting a schedule together and each coach may have a reason why they schedule the way they do. For example, some may schedule that back to back game or multiple games in a week to challenge the kids and see how they respond. Some coaches that have aspirations to go a long way in the post season may do it at the end to prepare their team for a tourney run. Some may just do it because they didn't pay attention when they were scheduling! And some might feel that it has little effect on kids in high school, as most of the kids playing today play AAU and play multiple games in the same day. I say each coach is responsible for their scheduling and my guess is they have a reason for why they do it and the way they do it.

I don't think 30 is excessive. 30 games over almost 90 days.

And you don't have to schedule 30 games if you don't want to.

It sounds like your problem is more with girls playing significant portions of both JV and varsity, not with the 30 game limit. Which I completely understand an issue exists there. Coachs have to really balance the amount of playing time between levels to prevent burn out.

It sounds like your problem is more with girls playing significant portions of both JV and varsity, not with the 30 game limit. Which I completely understand an issue exists there. Coachs have to really balance the amount of playing time between levels to prevent burn out.

This too! I don't think we have any kids in the top 9 that play any JV.

Exactly. Why is it too excessive for girls but not for boys? Either you are in shape and conditioned or you aren't; no matter what sex you are.

Not that I'm going to bite on this obvious bait, but....depending on the program there may be distinct conditioning differences in boys and girls programs, which could lead to mid-season fatigue. Of course the same could be said for boys' programs, but less likely.

Overall 30 games is not an issue over a 3 month period IMO.

Is that the amount of games or a scheduling challenge? I think there are different strategies to putting a schedule together and each coach may have a reason why they schedule the way they do. For example, some may schedule that back to back game or multiple games in a week to challenge the kids and see how they respond. Some coaches that have aspirations to go a long way in the post season may do it at the end to prepare their team for a tourney run. Some may just do it because they didn't pay attention when they were scheduling! And some might feel that it has little effect on kids in high school, as most of the kids playing today play AAU and play multiple games in the same day. I say each coach is responsible for their scheduling and my guess is they have a reason for why they do it and the way they do it.

I don't think 30 is excessive. 30 games over almost 90 days.

And you don't have to schedule 30 games if you don't want to.

Wonder what they think about softball? 35 games in 60-70 days?

It's interesting that this is a possible discussion this season. Usually the snow and ice cancel a few and trim back the schedule. (like last season) So far, that has not happened at all this year. I would say most girls (teams) think that is a good thing. I know them to get frustrated when games are canceled. I guess that proves 30 isn't too much. If you ask some, 30 probably isn't enough.

So are you selling them short again just because they're females??

Exactly. Why is it too excessive for girls but not for boys? Either you are in shape and conditioned or you aren't; no matter what sex you are.

I don't follow the boys game. Do the boys have players that play both JV and significant Varsity roles? Do they cross levels like they do in the girl's game? Girls programs don't seem as deep to me. Am I mistaken?

I don't follow the boys game. Do the boys have players that play both JV and significant Varsity roles? Do they cross levels like they do in the girl's game? Girls programs don't seem as deep to me. Am I mistaken?

I don't know too many girls programs that have girls that play significant roles in the JV and Varsity games. Maybe 1-2 kids at the most play significant JV if they are a significant varsity contributor. We have none that play both. I can only think of a few teams that had more than 1 that played significant varsity after playing a ton of JV.

I guess my question is...if they have significant varsity roles, why in the world are they even dressing JV??

I don't think 30 games is a problem, what I think gets the girls is all the practice time leading up to those games! It gets to a point where you have to give a day off,shorten practice,maybe just come in shoot and watch some film of next opponent? Like I have said in other threads,some of these girls have not had a brake in sports activities in quite sometime!