Is a 30 game schedule for Girl's Basketball excessive?

I don't think 30 games is a problem, what I think gets the girls is all the practice time leading up to those games! It gets to a point where you have to give a day off,shorten practice,maybe just come in shoot and watch some film of next opponent? Like I have said in other threads,some of these girls have not had a brake in sports activities in quite sometime!

I really agree with this. In the heart of the season, I think rest is just as important as punching the clock. How much better are you really going to get and film sessions (whether it be instructing your team or preparing for a future opponent) can be a great way to keep them on a routine without fatigue. And you can get a ton out of it if they stay attentive!

When my daughter was a freshman, she played Freshmen and JV ball, then sat the bench in the Varsity game (very little minutes played) due to low numbers (we're at a small school). About half-way thru the season, we had to bring to the coach's attention this was excessive .. basically, playing/in uniform from 4pm - 9:30pm on triple-header nights.

Just recently, I witnessed a boys triple-header, and saw a freshman player (other team) start the Freshmen game, start the JV game, and get significant minutes for the Varsity (again, about 16-18 total kids dressed for for all three squads .. low numbers). I felt bad for the kid by the end of the night; he looked worn out.

When my daughter was a freshman, she played Freshmen and JV ball, then sat the bench in the Varsity game (very little minutes played) due to low numbers (we're at a small school). About half-way thru the season, we had to bring to the coach's attention this was excessive .. basically, playing/in uniform from 4pm - 9:30pm on triple-header nights.

Just recently, I witnessed a boys triple-header, and saw a freshman player (other team) start the Freshmen game, start the JV game, and get significant minutes for the Varsity (again, about 16-18 total kids dressed for for all three squads .. low numbers). I felt bad for the kid by the end of the night; he looked worn out.

I know it happens. But in the boys example, did the kid have to play in the freshman or the JV game? Meaning did they not have enough kids to fill the team at the JV and fresh level? And we're there others doing the same thing.

I know it happens. But in the boys example, did the kid have to play in the freshman or the JV game? Meaning did they not have enough kids to fill the team at the JV and fresh level? And we're there others doing the same thing.

It's hard to say what is "enough" .. there were probably 8 Freshmen boys. I'm sure in many cases that is "enough", but in the coach's eyes, it wasn't. He was the only one I recall getting significant Varsity minutes .. there may have been others.

As a freshman, I'm sure you feel honored to be asked to contribute. I guess I just wish the adults had been a little more prudent. (And please .. let's not get in to the "add middle school players" discussion .. I think you know how I feel about that one.) :no:

It's hard to say what is "enough" .. there were probably 8 Freshmen boys. I'm sure in many cases that is "enough", but in the coach's eyes, it wasn't. He was the only one I recall getting significant Varsity minutes .. there may have been others.

As a freshman, I'm sure you feel honored to be asked to contribute. I guess I just wish the adults had been a little more prudent. (And please .. let's not get in to the "add middle school players" discussion .. I think you know how I feel about that one.) :no:

That's what I'm getting at. Sounds like they definitely had enough to play games. If the kid is a significant contributor on the varsity level, then absolutely no reason to play him on the freshman team other than to win. That's the issue. I would say if they had enough players on the JV and he is a top 7-8 player in the varsity, again, same situation. The coaches can control that. Unless they are concerned with their JV and freshman records.

Interesting question. Is 30 excessive? I can't in good conscience say yes when our actions are just the opposite. In our household we haven't stopped for several years going from volleyball (30+ matches 3-5 games nightly), to basketball (30+ games), to track season (15+ events) and AAU season (huge overlaps but 40-50 games) all at the varsity level since freshman year.

That said it has not always been a smooth ride. Proper diet is critical as well as sufficient rest from day to day. Sometimes mental fatigue sets in before physical fatigue. One thing that IMO has helped significantly is cross training through different sports, working with different coaches and developing different skills during different seasons, building strengths that carry over to each consecutive season.

Additionally, whether boy or girl each athlete does have a limitation and each one is different. We as parents must be active monitors of our children, put pride aside and be prepared to step in when needed. What is ones limitation may not be another's.

Is 30 to much? That 100% depends on the child, the situation and the parents GUT feeling. Good luck to all our girls in that they are always healthy and happy.

Can someone from a small school program weigh in please?

One thing to consider is that most programs, unlike college, do not play on Sundays. Trying to negotiate schedules with 29 other partners can result in weeks when you have 4 games, and others where you have one.

One thing to consider is that most programs, unlike college, do not play on Sundays. Trying to negotiate schedules with 29 other partners can result in weeks when you have 4 games, and others where you have one.

In my experience coming from a small high school and working at a small school system, we don't schedule the full 30 game limit. Usually 25-27 games is what we try to schedule and sometimes games are canceled and not made up because of snow. I don't see a problem scheduling 30 games since I know of softball and baseball teams that schedule the full amount of games.

Still controlled by the staff on how to schedule. Outside of our Christmas tournament, we haven't have one week with 4 games in it. And I don't think we've had a week with one game.

The coaches control is and DO NOT have to schedule 30 games. So I'm not sure what the issue is. And is a program has kids playing significant minutes in multiple games per night and one of those games is a varsity game, then that's usually all on the coach IMO. You can control that too. Unless you just DO NOT have enough players to fill a team at one of the levels. If you have kids to play, why would a significant players from a level above play in the lower level game. There is only one reason for that.

Exact same thing happened with my daughter. 5 hours of basketball 3 days a week, including 2 hours of practice, when is there time to get those strait A's, not that kids don't do it, but here are a few that go through it, because the coaches don't know what to do with certain players that may have potential, but string them along. You have out of your varsity maybe 8 that get effective minutes, but they usually sit 12-14 kids. Not one of the JV players that sit Varsity in many games ever get to play, but they sit. Let them go home and study. So for some, and a very few, sit through not just 30 games, but 60-90 games. That not right, not fair to them, but what do you want them to say, thanks coach for letting me sit Varsity, but I want to go home and study. Pretty sure, they wont be on that varsity team next year. They sit and suck it up, or quit.