Doug Bibby (Central) Not Coaching LIT Semifinal against Ballard

Everyone talks about food being the problem in this matter but food was not the problem. It was the officer telling the kid to walk all the way around the buildings ng to get to dressing room which was about 30 feet from where he was standing.

Also, the hospitality room is a joke.no abundance of food or drink there..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't blame Bibby one bit. This is ridiculous. After reading Bibby's comments in the updates article, if what he says is true, then that officer needs to be reprimanded. I know Doug can lose his temper sometimes but he was just defending his player, a child. Sounds like to me the cop just wanted to make it a big deal because he can. What a joke. JCPS better get this one right along with the metro police.

Pretty sure the KOB feeds kids, as well as the Lexcath tourney. Legacy Nissan Classic had a NICE spread for media/coaches and took care of the players as well.

Hell, even the Lloyd tourney feeds the coaches, media, and players. The organizers of the LIT should be embarrassed.

KOB doesn't either (but they also have a complementary hospitality room for bigwigs), nor do the region 6 and 7 tournaments. Maybe its a Louisville thing and if it is maybe the powers that be in Louisville need to look at what others are doing.

I don't blame Bibby one bit. This is ridiculous. After reading Bibby's comments in the updates article, if what he says is true, then that officer needs to be reprimanded. I know Doug can lose his temper sometimes but he was just defending his player, a child. Sounds like to me the cop just wanted to make it a big deal because he can. What a joke. JCPS better get this one right along with the metro police.

This part is important. Bibby made it a point to tell me he wasn't upset about the food. In fact, he told the kid to throw the food away because it's a rule. Bibby got upset when the security guard made the kid walk around the gym, in the cold, to the pass gate. Bibby admitted he got upset with the security guard, and then the police officer joined in. That's when things got heated, according to Bibby.

If players weren't supposed to bring in outside food, then that should be that. If such a minor incident was escalated to this, there were some people that had to be out of line.

That being said, it is a petty, ignorant rule. Either feed the players or shut up. We're talking about the players.

THAT being said, for all the contention that exists due the fact that Valley has been the venue over the last few years, and will be for the foreseeable future, you'd think they'd do a better job of trying to make the experience more inviting. IT WAS NOT. There was an incredibly aggressive stance by the police and staff when you walked in the door of this tournament, and it caught me by surprise. Maybe that is what it takes now a days, but I thought the troops were overkill. Thought I was going into the infield for Derby with all the bag checking. Take away about 3 from the fuzz count, and use that saved cash (and the cash that goes to the hospitality room, and the cash that should go toward giving the players a hot dog and coke after the game--or before a 10:30am game) to get the best officials that can call a consistent game!

**if you are an official, sorry about the round-about dig....I appreciate anyone who does it...and I'm not lining up to do it...but it must be tough because it just seems like game are never called consistently well.****end of digression.....

Ice Cream was good though.

Jerry Wyman and the L.I.T. are quickly becoming a major joke. When a tournament the size of this can not provide players a meal someone is lining their pockets deeply. A couple less metro officers and rent a cop guards of the 2dozen or more they have could pay for a lot of food for players. Lets remember the people are there to watch the kids!!!! not JW and the mules.

I guess Central vs. Ballard didn't put as many people in the seats as Trinity vs. Ballard. JMO of course.

@kyhighs: @jdemling my understanding is that in exchange for not arresting him, the officer didn't want Bibby back in the gym Saturday.

Really starting to sound like the only problem was that the officer was there, and had to make sure that they knew it.

I can tell 90% of you have never been responsible for running a basketball tournament. In high school, one gym, one enterance. The hardest job in the King of the Bluegrass is working the gate. Some people don't think the rules apply to them. They try to sneek in, they lie about who thay are and they throw names around that might get them in and worst of all they cuss the workers. Life is very simple…follow the rule! When you choose the behavior you choose the consequences…both good and bad.

I can tell 90% of you have never been responsible for running a basketball tournament. In high school, one gym, one enterance. The hardest job in the King of the Bluegrass is working the gate. Some people don't think the rules apply to them. They try to sneek in, they lie about who thay are and they throw names around that might get them in and worst of all they cuss the workers. Life is very simple…follow the rule! When you choose the behavior you choose the consequences…both good and bad.

I would be willing to bet that Bibby over reacted and acted like an idiot. He has a tendency to do so. I have seen it many times.....

I would be willing to bet that Bibby over reacted and acted like an idiot. He has a tendency to do so. I have seen it many times.....

But do you think he was threatening to the worker? Over the top with cussing him/her? He said he was grabbed.

From the updated article:

“I was standing there with his ticket, and they made him walk all the way around the gym in the cold when our locker room was right next to where we were standing,” Bibby said. “Then the officer comes over and tells me I should move on and then grabs me. I said, ‘Why are you grabbing me?’ Then he shoved me against the concession stand. I moved my shoulder around, and he says, ‘You just shoved an officer.’ He says he’s arresting me and takes me out to the (police) car.”

Interesting.