St. Henry 79 Villa Madonna 34

I just wanted u to know that the officials for the game was a decent crew. I only gave my opinion of the officials after I knew who they were.

I say again it is All A time so play hard win big and get ready for the tournament.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you were at this game your opinion is irrelevant about the officiating of this game.

The past three games I've seen the African American woman ref her calls were way off.

Multiple parents were coming up to the Villa parents & players apologizing one behalf of the fans and coach and that they were embarrassed for St. Henry

St. Henry pressed the entire game with almost a 50 point lead. Is this their normal style of play or were they trying to make a statement with Coach Coburn?

I'm going to answer my own question since I saw St Henry play tonight: they did not press the entire game in their win over Lloyd in the All A tournament..

So it's still okay to press hard when they were up by 20-30? It's okay for the crowd in the stands go crazy and stand up when they scored when they're up by 35+? So a man to man full court isn't a press? They were hard core pressing the entire game.

Not really sure what game you where watching that night , but St Henry wasn't pressing the entire game. I would also say that they played almost 15 girls or better going in and out at different times of the game. They have a lot of girls competing for playing time and he coaches all of them the same way. Didn't see anyone going crazy in the stands , but I did hear that a couple of the girls got their 1st Varsity Pts in that game !

Not really sure what game you where watching that night , but St Henry wasn't pressing the entire game. I would also say that they played almost 15 girls or better going in and out at different times of the game. They have a lot of girls competing for playing time and he coaches all of them the same way. Didn't see anyone going crazy in the stands , but I did hear that a couple of the girls got their 1st Varsity Pts in that game !

The post is referring to the Villa game in which St Henry pressed the entire game.

St. Henry pressed the entire game with almost a 50 point lead. Is this their normal style of play or were they trying to make a statement with Coach Coburn?

I was at the game Saturday night. St. Henry applied full court pressure as soon as Villa had the ball. As soon as Villa's point guard Aytes had the ball St Henry had 2 or 3 players on her the second she touched the ball to bring it up the court. I have to say she did an excellent job beating their "press" but unfortunately she got in foul trouble early in the 1st quarter and St Henry went on a 30 point lead with her out of the game. To anyone that disagrees with my statements of the game, 3 people were filming the game. Two were from SHDHS so ask them for a copy and rewatch and listen to the game. You can't argue the video or sound

Villa is a very young and inexperienced team. They have 7 high school players and 5 middle school players. Villa's tallest is 5'7'', SHDHS has a DI player who is 6'2". All they could have and should had done to beat Villa was feed Neace the ball all night and she could have scored 49 points. But it seemed Coach Strurgeiion had different plans.

According to several players on the team, Coach Strurgeon had asked SHDHS Athletic Director Jay Graue (who was at the game) if it was ok to run up the score and not let up on Villa BECAUSE of Coach Coburn. Graue gave him the ok. Every player on the team knew from the start of the game what the plan was. Eight of the seniors on the team had played with Coburn, most liked him but few did not and were willing to go ahead with the plan to embarrass Coburn.

After the game several of the SHDHS parents came up to the Villa parents they knew and apologized for their daughter begin a part of the game and for the behavior of some of the parents during the game. If the AD and coach are a reflection of the school, I would HIGHLY not consider sending my younger children there for high school in the future. I found the following on SHDHS website and found it very contradicting as to what went on Saturday:

PHILOSOPHY:

All rules and regulations are made for the general good order of school operations. As Christian people, we are responsible for acting in accord with the beliefs and principles of our God and our Church. We consider respect for others and their property as very important. St. Henry District High School assumes this fundamental premise. When the good order is disturbed, or the rights of others interfered with, the matter becomes disciplinary and requires correction. Good manners in church, classroom, library, cafeteria, corridors, and outside campus are demanded by all for the concern of all. The Assistant Principal is responsible for corrective measures for all unresolved problems involving student misconduct.

I must give credit to the Villa players and to Coach Coburn. Although they were out matched, they did not give up till the last buzzer. Coach Coburn and Villa should be very proud of their girls.

Edited by sufside

According to several players on the team, Coach Strurgeon had asked SHDHS Athletic Director Jay Graue (who was at the game) if it was ok to run up the score and not let up on Villa BECAUSE of Coach Coburn. Graue gave him the ok. Every player on the team knew from the start of the game what the plan was. Eight of the seniors on the team had played with Coburn, most liked him but few did not and were willing to go ahead with the plan to embarrass Coburn.

I find the bolded very hard to believe. If true, then both Sturgeon and Graue should be asked to leave.

Not that I condone running the score up but if he played all 15 players and they played hard i have no issue with it. This is high school. I've been to middle school games were teams are getting beat by 30 to 40 points. I wasn't at the game so i don't know how they pressed and it seems we are getting different opinions on what actually happened. If they weren't stealing the ball and getting lay up after lay up so be it. Would it have been better to get a 20 point lead and just pass the ball around for 5 minutes at a time to run the clock out? What do you tell the reserves and jv players when they go into the game? Maybe I'm missing something but why is St. Henry the only team getting ripped over running the score up. I think last week according to other threads on here 3 games stand out to me. Why isn't Holmes and Walton getting called out? Were those scores justified? Just asking.

Holmes 79 and Western 30

Holmes 71 and Beechwood 34

Walton 75 and Owen Co. 34