St. Henry 79 Villa Madonna 34

St. Henry is obviously the better team. The game ended like most people expected. They should not change the way the play despite their opponent. The point is that when a game is in hand, in every sport, there are measures a coach can take to finish the game with some class.

Forget all the other baloney - forget any other names - ultimately, there are many things that Coach Sturgeon could have chosen to do different during this game...the one that sticks out is to call off the full court, trapping in your face, no holds bar press when the 35 point running clock has started. At that point, you prove the other team struggles to get past half court? You can make layups? Play hard nosed, half court o and d and finish the game heads up for both team.

If you have an axe to grind, take it to the parking lot and leave the players out of it.

I never said I agreed with the press- I pretty much said way up top early in this silly thread that I wouldn't have made that call.

What I don't agree with here is the hogwash implicating not just the AD, but the girls themselves, in some kind of conspiratorial agreement to embarrass Coburn.

FWIW, I was at the game, and heard the AD rumor from a pretty well connected SH parent. Doesn't mean it's true, but it is out there. If he didn't clear it with his AD, then I'd hope he was called on the carpet with the AD and Principal the next day. I can't imagine SH parents haven't logged some complaints.

I don't blame the girls....if your coach says go in and press, you press.

My opinion is Sturgeon was way wrong on this one. Doesn't mean he is a bad person, perhaps just had a bad night. We've all made regrettable decisions before.

And for anyone that wasn't there, your opinion on running up the score is irrelevant. Teams can win by 50 without appearing to be poor sports....that was not the case in this instance. This was a hard full court press against a vastly overmatched team, when already up over 40, with your starting 5 in the fourth quarter. It was OBVIOUS Sturgeon was sending some sort of message. Unfortunately, in the process he made himself and his school look bad.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I was at the game, and heard the AD rumor from a pretty well connected SH parent. Doesn't mean it's true, but it is out there. If he didn't clear it with his AD, then I'd hope he was called on the carpet with the AD and Principal the next day. I can't imagine SH parents haven't logged some complaints.

I don't blame the girls....if your coach says go in and press, you press.

My opinion is Sturgeon was way wrong on this one. Doesn't mean he is a bad person, perhaps just had a bad night. We've all made regrettable decisions before.

And for anyone that wasn't there, your opinion on running up the score is irrelevant. Teams can win by 50 without appearing to be poor sports....that was not the case in this instance. This was a hard full court press against a vastly overmatched team, when already up over 40, with your starting 5 in the fourth quarter. It was OBVIOUS Sturgeon was sending some sort of message. Unfortunately, in the process he made himself and his school look bad.

Seriously? For what? Complain if you lose and complain if you win? Dang, people shouldn't be that hard to please.

Seriously? For what? Complain if you lose and complain if you win? Dang, people shouldn't be that hard to please.

Parents want school leadership to practice what they preach. Parents want role models their children can look up to. Sometimes it's more than the win or loss.

I had no dog in this fight but I don't think there is any blame to be given anywhere! As a coach you want all your players to succeed, games like these are what we considered practice games for our team you practice your entire game plan for four quarters And suceed! The Ludlow Holy Cross game was the same way as this game the other night and no one is complaining about that one? St Henry's girls just went out and out performed Villa and this was the out come!

We've all played sports I'm sure at one point and I know we didn't go out to make friends and say we only beat them by one being nice, we went on the floor/field and wanted to burry the other team!

Now the question is can St Henry stay with Holy Cross or will this be another thread starting game?

Please stop the madness.

Like comparing a parking ticket to a homicide.

Ooops....I'm sorry.

The article seemed to be topical in a sorta way.

Should've gotten clearance from you first before posting.

Noted.

Perhaps your assumption that I was comparing as if the same is inaccurate.

Perhaps I was putting into perspective that this article is exposing the homicide of which you speak, while everyone else here is freaking out about a parking ticket.

It's all relative.

With no dog in this fight I admittedly have no place in this discussion as I could barely care. I don't even follow girls basketball that closely

As an outsider, as impassioned as others might be and understandably so, for me it's much to do about nothing and something I dismissed 2 seconds after posting.

If you just heard a funny sound that was my snort of derision.

If you've picked up my sarcastic indifference, there you would be right on target.

Ooops....I'm sorry.

The article seemed to be topical in a sorta way.

Should've gotten clearance from you first before posting.

Noted.

Perhaps your assumption that I was comparing as if the same is inaccurate.

Perhaps I was putting into perspective that this article is exposing the homicide of which you speak, while everyone else here is freaking out about a parking ticket.

It's all relative.

With no dog in this fight I admittedly have no place in this discussion as I could barely care. I don't even follow girls basketball that closely

As an outsider, as impassioned as others might be and understandably so, for me it's much to do about nothing and something I dismissed 2 seconds after posting.

If you just heard a funny sound that was my snort of derision.

If you've picked up my sarcastic indifference, there you would be right on target.

Great.

Now I can check being derided by the human thesaurus off my bucket list.