Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

St. Henry 79 Villa Madonna 34

Featured Replies

Final from Villa Hills

 

St. Henry 79 Villa Madonna 34

  • Replies 69
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final from Villa Hills

 

St. Henry 79 Villa Madonna 34

 

St. Henry pressed the entire game with almost a 50 point lead. Is this their normal style of play or were they trying to make a statement with Coach Coburn?

St. Henry pressed the entire game with almost a 50 point lead. Is this their normal style of play or were they trying to make a statement with Coach Coburn?

 

How late into the game did they press?

Till the last second of the game. They never quit.

St. Henry pressed the entire game with almost a 50 point lead. Is this their normal style of play or were they trying to make a statement with Coach Coburn?

 

As a St Henry parent, I was embarassed by the blatant attempt to run up the score. No matter what may or may not be going on the background between the coaches/administration, the only person that looked bad was our coach, and therefore the school.

 

For a Catholic school, that offers a prayer before every home game about good sportsmanship, this was the ultimate in hypocrisy. It sent the wrong message to the St Henry players, likely embarassed the Villa players, and certainly gave the Villa parents and other spectators reason to be upset, all in an effort, I assume, to embarass Coach Coburn.

 

I expected more from St. Henry.

Why is their ill will towards Coach Coburn?

 

If St Henry pressed all the way to the final horn it's a poor reflection upon Coach Sturgeon.

"For a Catholic school, that offers a prayer before every home game about good sportsmanship, this was the ultimate in hypocrisy."

 

The coach must have been in the locker room before the game telling his team to run the score up and not heard the announcement. There had to be a running clock at some point in the game. I do not understand why some coaches feel the need to try an embarass other teams. The goal is to win the game, make your team better, and when you get a comfortable lead get playing time for the bench players so they can improve. good grief.

Why is their ill will towards Coach Coburn?

 

If St Henry pressed all the way to the final horn it's a poor reflection upon Coach Sturgeon.

 

 

Not only did they press the entire game, he put the starters back in to start the 4th quarter, already up about 40. Coach Sturgeon never sat, and continued to yell and applaud like it was a two possession game. Very disappointed in his behavior.

Not only did they press the entire game, he put the starters back in to start the 4th quarter, already up about 40. Coach Sturgeon never sat, and continued to yell and applaud like it was a two possession game. Very disappointed in his behavior.

 

Why is their ill will?

Why is their ill will?

 

Coach Coburn was the former coach of St. Henry two years ago. I won't go into any of the details but there is a thread on her somewhere about him leaving the job.

That is unfortunate to hear in a 45 point victory. It ultimately shows a lack of respect for your opponent and the great game of basketball. I have a lot of respect for what coach Sturgeon brought to St. Henry but that selfish act sounds as if it has embarrassed everyone except the coach. I'm hopeful the Villa players don't pay the price for whatever statement he's trying to make in their next meeting.

That is unfortunate to hear in a 45 point victory. It ultimately shows a lack of respect for your opponent and the great game of basketball. I have a lot of respect for what coach Sturgeon brought to St. Henry but that selfish act sounds as if it has embarrassed everyone except the coach. I'm hopeful the Villa players don't pay the price for whatever statement he's trying to make in their next meeting.

 

Agreed. Win your game with grace. And take the high road.

I am also a St. Henry parent who agrees with all of the posts that have been written above. I have no explanation or insight for not calling off the press. This team has underachieved a little this year, maybe he was trying to jump start them at mid season, this would not excuse his actions.

 

Coach Sturgeon is a good man, he cares deeply and puts tons of time and effort into teaching these girls. We all have bad days and wish we could have a do over from time to time. I've known the man since kindergarten, who has always shown great character in the four decades of our friendship.

 

It's not fun to be on the end of a blow out. My sons St. Paul's 8th grade team was on the short side on 85-17 beat down from Holmes. Coach Humphery Engolman pressed the entire game and would not call off the dogs. While I was not happy with his actions, I gave him a pass because of the canvas of good he has done for kids over the years.

 

Nobody wants to be "Spurrierized", especially on the high school level. Maybe Paul's head was in a different place on this night. I think he has done really well in his short tenure at St. Henry.

"For a Catholic school, that offers a prayer before every home game about good sportsmanship, this was the ultimate in hypocrisy."

 

The coach must have been in the locker room before the game telling his team to run the score up and not heard the announcement. There had to be a running clock at some point in the game. I do not understand why some coaches feel the need to try an embarass other teams. The goal is to win the game, make your team better, and when you get a comfortable lead get playing time for the bench players so they can improve. good grief.

 

My take:

1) While I wouldn't have pressed as much as St Henry did, I think it's inaccurate to say they put on a full court press non stop till the last second. My guess is it was about half the time- the rest was a half hearted press where they picked up man and followed them down the court. It just seemed like it was more due to the poor ball handling and passing of Villa

 

2) The final margin was about as wide as it got- but it wasn't like it was 30 or 40 to 0 right out of the gate. Most of the time the margin was between 20-30 until the running clock started in the 3rd quarter.

 

3) I would bet most of the starters played what amounted to one full quarter. The rest of the time was split between 2nd string and JV players. Sturgeon plays a lot of players every game- not just blowouts- that's his style. St Henry placed their starters back in at the beginning of each quarter for a couple minutes, then were pulled. BTW- the JV game had to be cancelled at Villa's request due to injuries ( which everyone completely understands and agrees with BTW)

 

4) Not sure how many games anyone has seen St Henry play, but Sturgeon stands, yells and claps from beginning to end- blowout or otherwise. It's silly to begrudge him to be any different. What's he supposed to do, sit down and coach less when the 2nd team and JV come in? What kind of message would that send?

 

5). I sincerely like and respect Brian Coburn. I thought he got a raw deal from the St Henry administration and no one can tell me different. Whatever beefs the admin and parents had (or have) is misplaced and petty. I am sure Brian was upset with the outcome but I doubt that that he feels Sturgeon was a poor sport in doing so. Besides, what would Sturgeon have against Coburn? Nothing.

 

Just my two cents anyway.

All A starts tonight. I am certain Coach Sturgeon wants his team ready for a run. I don't care about the score but he could have called off the press in the 2nd half or 4th quarter for sure. If Saint Henry were to make a big run or even win the All A Tournament then the Villa game will be long forgotten.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.